There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Modern Scoring Strings

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Lawrence

Re: Modern Scoring Strings (aka LASS 3)

Post by Lawrence »

Never used the ART. Not even to try it.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

I think Sample Developers need to get more feedback from their customers. i.e. e-mail a questionnaire asking for features they find, useful and use frequently, and ones they don't need, or don't use much. ..etc. etc. This could save developers a lot of extra development cost that is kind of a waste of their time, since users are not going to use these extra tools. Which will end up benefiting both customers, since they can pay less for the library, and the developer will need less time to complete a library, at lower cost as well.

Pablo Crespo

Post by Pablo Crespo »

The same, never used ART, try to input all the notes myself, and have much more control, also never used autodivisi and record each line separated.
Pablo Crespo
Argentina

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I must admit that the pricing for full LASS owners (including Sordino Legatos in my case) wasn’t as attractive as I had hoped. To pay well over $500 for the new library after the announcements of how happy we’d be, well. I’m not so happy with the loyalty pricing. I paid heavily for LASS and though I love its flexibility there were obviously issues. I was expecting a real sweetheart deal. Is it just me?
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

kpc

Post by kpc »

Yeah, I am a bit disappointed in the pricing to be honest. I get that it’s not really LASS 3 and a new product. I agree Larry, they built it up too much with their comment. I guess that’s a no win situation for any dev.
- kayle

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

It's $399 for LASS Full owners, right?

https://audiobro.com/modern-scoring-strings/ (scroll down to the table).

With the expanded legatos it is $549, which adds legatos to Sordino, Sal Tasto and Sul Pont.

So that's $300 off the RRP, which for an entirely new library seems perfectly good to me. Still not at all sure I want it, but that's another matter.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

$549 for full, no first chairs. I thought by the way they said it the price would have been a hundred or two less.

L.J. Nachsin

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Lawrence wrote: Jan 27, 2021 4:33 am $549 for full, no first chairs. I thought by the way they said it the price would have been a hundred or two less.
That's very odd. According to the chart on the site, its pretty clear first chairs are included in the regular version (check out the red dots). Did they get the chart wrong?

kpc

Post by kpc »

Yeah - I think the solo/FC sections are included. I guess my thinking is the $549 price is ok off the regular retail price. but only $150-250 off the intro price, which isn't as great in my mind. And, since AudioBro is still running their Black Friday sale, it's hard to say when the RRP will go back and you know another sale is coming. I think this is a perfect example of setting up for missed expectations. "LASS FULL owners will be really happy" is a statement up for extreme interpretation. My initial thought was $99 upgrade - then I thought maybe it will be $199 - both of which was an instant buy for me.

Maybe this was the intention - then they realized this isn't really LASS 3, so they needed to change tactics? Or, maybe to some this does make them very happy. And, I know nothing about how to price things, so.

I love LASS and it is my main/only string instruments. And I want Audiobro to make a lot of money on their products so they can continue to develop great instruments. I am pretty sure I will pick this up, if not right away, it will be my next string purchase.
- kayle

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

You're probably right on RRP, that's been a fantasy figure since the LASS days IIRC. So it's $399 for MSS which is $549 for other buyers (with supposed intro discount) and $549 including the extra legatos and that's $798 for everyone else. (there's also prices with less reduction for other Audiobro customers who don't own LASS).

But I have to say I never thought for a second the upgrade price would be $99 or anything. That would be insane for a totally new library - I suspect a huge proportion of their potential customers are LASS-owners. I think the discount is more than fair, but I agree they did raise expectations a bit high by saying what they did. It has not put it in the impulse-buy zone, has it?

I'm just really concerned for them that they have over-reached, I don't think market demand is there for this.

lofi

Post by lofi »

Guy Rowland wrote: Jan 27, 2021 9:06 am You're probably right on RRP, that's been a fantasy figure since the LASS days IIRC. So it's $399 for MSS which is $549 for other buyers (with supposed intro discount) and $549 including the extra legatos and that's $798 for everyone else. (there's also prices with less reduction for other Audiobro customers who don't own LASS).

But I have to say I never thought for a second the upgrade price would be $99 or anything. That would be insane for a totally new library - I suspect a huge proportion of their potential customers are LASS-owners. I think the discount is more than fair, but I agree they did raise expectations a bit high by saying what they did. It has not put it in the impulse-buy zone, has it?

I'm just really concerned for them that they have over-reached, I don't think market demand is there for this.
They should have gone with $399 for the extended library for those of us who owns the LASS Full and the Legato CS library.
But I think we've been spoiled with "underpriced" libraries for a while.
So really, the price look fair to me. Perhaps some of us have too many string libraries (is that a thing?).
And don't really need the features, then again if you are new to the game this might be the way to go.
Still use LASS 2.5 from time to time, it is a great library. Kind of waiting for LASS 3.
Best,
Anders

Chapbot

Post by Chapbot »

Pablo Crespo wrote: Jan 26, 2021 5:04 pm The same, never used ART, try to input all the notes myself, and have much more control, also never used autodivisi and record each line separated.
Yep, I've never touched ART and input everything manually.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Guy Rowland wrote: Jan 27, 2021 9:06 am You're probably right on RRP, that's been a fantasy figure since the LASS days IIRC. So it's $399 for MSS which is $549 for other buyers (with supposed intro discount) and $549 including the extra legatos and that's $798 for everyone else. (there's also prices with less reduction for other Audiobro customers who don't own LASS).

I didn't think it would be $99, either. I was thinking $250-$350 for the whole shebang.

Yeah, missed the included first chairs. Clearly, my reading comprehension has taken a hit.

No solo bass though.

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Linos

Post by Linos »

And the solo viola is not new recordings, but the ones from LASS. Odd. The libraries do sound very different. That's probably but a quibble in the larger context of the library though. It does have loads of content.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

MSS estimated release date has been changed to Feb. 15th.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

New MSS Videos !

* Scales & Runs

* The Detune Tool & Custom Aleatoric

https://audiobro.com/modern-scoring-strings/

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Now available on Youtube :

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Those scales sound really good, eh? In his quick joining together with the octave runs there were clear bumps, but the scales are very slick. Looks like a terrific implementation too.

Just a general observation on patches like this - they don't make so much sense in a VE Pro template as there are so many drop down menus etc. I'd probably load up an instance in Kontakt as I needed.

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Lots of powerful features and rather impressive sounds here, except … the cellos, which often appear to belong to a completely different and far worse-sounding library than the rest of the strings. Been watching these videos with a near constant feeling of “One day, I’m sure going to buy this” but everytime the cellos are soloed, in whatever articulation we’ve heard them thus far, that enthusiasm disappears completely.

The cellos are the star attraction of the Berlin Symphonic Strings — best (large) virtual cello section I’ve ever heard or used —, in MSS however they might well prove to be the Achilles heel of an otherwise outstanding library.

But let’s maybe wait until we have heard some regular melodic phrasing and sustained articulations from these strings. If the cellos cope well there, the problem, as I hear it now, might not be all that serious.

_

Yasin Yavuz

Post by Yasin Yavuz »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Feb 02, 2021 3:55 am Lots of powerful features and rather impressive sounds here, except … the cellos, which often appear to belong to a completely different and far worse-sounding library than the rest of the strings. Been watching these videos with a near constant feeling of “One day, I’m sure going to buy this” but everytime the cellos are soloed, in whatever articulation we’ve heard them thus far, that enthusiasm disappears completely.

The cellos are the star attraction of the Berlin Symphonic Strings — best (large) virtual cello section I’ve ever heard or used —, in MSS however they might well prove to be the Achilles heel of an otherwise outstanding library.

But let’s maybe wait until we have heard some regular melodic phrasing and sustained articulations from these strings. If the cellos cope well there, the problem, as I hear it now, might not be all that serious.

_
I think the reverb they are using makes library sound worse. I heard naked sound in shorts demo and I liked it.
Also their GUI/script is incredible. It looks like they spent more time and effort within Kontakt than other developers making their own sampler/player.

Jack Weaver

Post by Jack Weaver »

Yeah, the celli... they seem to excite the room too much. I agree that the demo video does use an unfortunate reverb/ambience setting for the celli specifically.
However at 8:30 in the Shorts video, they show the celli shorts bare mic settings so there is a chance to see into the real celli sound a bit better.

But, we do really need to hear Legato/Longs video with bare mics settings to get the best idea.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Hehe.. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 12 hour walkthrough, review video of this library once it's released, by an independent reviewer on YouTube :)

Jack Weaver

Post by Jack Weaver »

Muziksculp wrote: Feb 02, 2021 2:11 pm Hehe.. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 12 hour walkthrough, review video of this library once it's released, by an independent reviewer on YouTube :)
Honestly, given all the advanced programming and intricate features with MSS, I would hope that Andrew would do an hour-long 'quickstart' video.

Tanuj Tiku

Post by Tanuj Tiku »

Yasin Yavuz wrote: Feb 02, 2021 7:30 am
Piet De Ridder wrote: Feb 02, 2021 3:55 am Lots of powerful features and rather impressive sounds here, except … the cellos, which often appear to belong to a completely different and far worse-sounding library than the rest of the strings. Been watching these videos with a near constant feeling of “One day, I’m sure going to buy this” but everytime the cellos are soloed, in whatever articulation we’ve heard them thus far, that enthusiasm disappears completely.

_
I think the reverb they are using makes library sound worse. I heard naked sound in shorts demo and I liked it.
Also their GUI/script is incredible. It looks like they spent more time and effort within Kontakt than other developers making their own sampler/player.
I have to agree with you there. It just sounds a bit too mushy and lacks clarity. A few naked examples sound much better.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Looking forward to the official release of MSS tomorrow Feb. 15th