There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Softube / Model 84 (Juno106 emulation)

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Softube / Model 84 (Juno106 emulation)

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Softube has released Model 84, their take on the Roland Juno106, an "’80s-era icon of polyphonic synthesizing faithfully emulated through circuit modeling on a component level".

wst3

Re: Softube / Model 84 (Juno106 emulation)

Post by wst3 »

Saw this in my morning email - immediately intrigued! While I wish they'd chosen the MKS-80 or Super Jupiter, I have to admit a soft spot for the Juno line, especially the Juno 106, and the JX-10, and... well, you get the idea.

I downloaded it this morning, only had a few minutes to listen, but it does sound lovely. Not sure it sounds exactly like the hardware, but then the hardware, and my recollections thereof are a little long in the tooth. However, while dinking around I was transported back to my first apartment, which is a pretty neat trick! There have been very few plugins (instruments or processors) that have triggered memories like that. (In most cases it has more to do with the fact that I never owned them<G>.)

If all it did was emulate the Juno 106 it would be cool. But like their Mini emulation pieces of the Juno can be used in Modular. I only recently picked up 72, and it has been a lot more fun than I ever expected, especially when using it in Modular. What a clever idea!

I've never been the biggest Softube fanboy, other than Console 1, the Fix Phaser and Flanger, and Modular (and all its modules) I could live happily without them. Lately they've been doing better.

It is tempting!

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I love the 106, but between Omni 2 and Diva I'm good.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Great Emulation of the classic Roland Juno 106 synth by Softube's Model 84. .

Purchased !

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Maybe I am in the minority, but I never thought the Junos sounded as good as the Jupiters, back in the day.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

wst3

Post by wst3 »

I liked them both, but I own an MKS-80 (Super Jupiter), which might be telling? I do wish I could find a plugin that sounds like (and as good as) my MKS-80. The Juno family is a different sound, not a huge difference, but different.

Adding a Juno 106 (Cherry Audio) added some fun, and I would not be looking at the Softube edition except for the ability to use parts of it in Modular. That was huge with the Model 72, and thus far I'm finding the same to be true of the Model 84.

Still waffling, of course...