There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Arturia Pigments 3 [3.5 update Dec 21]

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Arturia Pigments 3 [3.5 update Dec 21]

Post by Guy Rowland »

Pigments 3 introduces the boundless power of additive synthesis, an impressive utility engine with sub oscillator and dual noise sample players, the iconic filter from Jup-8 V, 4 incredible new FX including a multiband compressor, and so much more.

Combined with unparalleled DSP performance, a revamped audio routing system, and its signature vibrant visual workflow, Pigments 3 sets the new softsynth standard; a producer’s playground, a composer’s workhorse, and a sound designer’s dream.

To introduce the latest colorful edition of Pigments, Arturia is presenting a selection of generous introductory offers, including an exclusive & essential pack of 5 sound banks built to make the most of Pigments 3’s unique palette.

New in Pigments 3

Harmonic engine – detailed additive synthesis with up to 512 partials, dual formant filters that can be morphed from A to B, odd and even harmonic customisation, and various colourful ways to modulate partials.

3rd Utility engine – add an extra oscillator layer and up to 2 noise sample layers to Pigments’ dual-engine sound for extra depth and sonic colour.

64 new wavetables, bringing the total to 164

Ramp waveform, for Virtual Analog engine.

Jup-8 V4 Low-pass filter – the revered filter from our meticulous emulation of a polysynth icon.

Enhanced filter routing – route either filter to either FX bus for detailed sound.

Pitch Delay – a clean, modern algorithm for creating exciting pitch-shifting ambience.

Multi-Band Compressor – a much-requested tool for creating a tight mix-ready sound without ever leaving Pigments.

BL-20 Flanger – a faithful reimagining of an elusive analog studio effect.

Chorus JUN-6 – one-touch analog sparkle and stereo fatness, taken from our faithful Juno-6 emulation.

Expertly-crafted new presets by world-class sound designers.

Enhanced in-app tutorials from the product designers.

The Spectrum Sound Pack

Paint your mix with Pigments 3’s unique palette.

The limited-edition Spectrum Sound Pack combines 5 unique sound banks, each including 100 presets, designed to exhibit Pigments 3’s vibrant features, from the new Harmonic Engine to the analog charm of the Jup-8 V filter.

Introduction deal until May 13th 2021

Celebrate the launch of Pigments 3 with generous introductory offers and exclusive sounds for new and existing users alike.

For existing Pigments users, this update is free of charge. You’ll also be able to get the exclusive Spectrum Sound Pack for 19,99€/$ (worth 99€/$), for a limited time.

For new Pigments users, the latest version is available to buy with a 50% saving at 99€/$ (worth 199€/$), with the Spectrum Sound Pack included at no additional cost (worth 99€/$).

Registered Arturia customers will be eligible for a personal introductory offer, and can simply login to redeem.
I don't want yet another synth. But dammit this looks and sounds great (very nice short feature demos on the site). And 99 bucks is stupid.
https://www.arturia.com/products/analog ... s/pigments

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Re: Arturia Pigments 3

Post by Guy Rowland »

Good lord, as an owner of the V Collection 5, my offer is 49 euros.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

It's a Free Upgrade from Pigments 2 to Pigments 3.

I never used Pigments, I have ver. 2, I will have to make some time to check ver. 3. :)

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I got this, though I had a lot of purchase and install issues, support were helpful and sorted things out. They clearly have gremlins in their system, I couldn't enter my country which was a pre-requisite for ordering for example.

First impressions quite positive. The new harmonic engine is the star I think, and for all the talk about Arturia's past reputation they have some nice filters now from their more recent synths. The whole synth is new to me so it'll take some time to get comfy with it. I love the visual look of the modulation strip, its quick to see what is what but I'm not finding changing things as intuitive as I'd hoped. Also the browser is a little weird, but getting used to that too. I'll spend a proper session with it over the coming days / weekend.

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

Yeah, I did too... I dig the sound so far, but can't get the expansion installed. These sort of hiccups are infinitely tiresome.
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Luciano Storti wrote: Apr 21, 2021 2:38 pm Yeah, I did too... I dig the sound so far, but can't get the expansion installed. These sort of hiccups are infinitely tiresome.
Yeah, it was a bit of a pita. Here's what worked for me - download manually from here https://www.arturia.com/products/analog ... /resources , install all 5, open pigments, close again, wait an unknown amount of time between 5 seconds and 8 hours, open it again and there they are.

The good news is there is nice stuff in there. Wrote an entire pigments-based track in an hour, sounded great and notably different to my usual sources. Getting the hang of modifying stuff now, at least to some degree.

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

Thanks for that, Guy. Turns out I had already done most of those steps. So now I just have to wait for the undetermined amount of time and some magic!

Glad to hear you’re getting on with it, I have a good feeling about it as well. And do post the track if you feel like it.
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Luciano Storti wrote: Apr 21, 2021 5:48 pmGlad to hear you’re getting on with it, I have a good feeling about it as well. And do post the track if you feel like it.
It's a minimalist mood setter that builds just a little. It's insultingly simple, but these kinds of cues can work so well in contemporary drama I think. I'd usually do this sort of thing with analogue-sounding synths, but Pigments brings a digital edge that still sounds pleasing to me (I especially like the layered slow sweep texture that comes in when the drums drop out two thirds of the way through). It's half a dozen instances of Pigments, and Battery 4 drums.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/znlmkothsoetf ... e.wav?dl=0

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

Guy Rowland wrote: Apr 22, 2021 4:43 am
Luciano Storti wrote: Apr 21, 2021 5:48 pmGlad to hear you’re getting on with it, I have a good feeling about it as well. And do post the track if you feel like it.
It's a minimalist mood setter that builds just a little. It's insultingly simple, but these kinds of cues can work so well in contemporary drama I think. I'd usually do this sort of thing with analogue-sounding synths, but Pigments brings a digital edge that still sounds pleasing to me (I especially like the layered slow sweep texture that comes in when the drums drop out two thirds of the way through). It's half a dozen instances of Pigments, and Battery 4 drums.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/znlmkothsoetf ... e.wav?dl=0
Nice! I like the melody. It never gets to be too much and it’s catchy (humming in my head right now). Good quality, that.

Definitely hear that digital edge you mentioned and it does make me wonder how this would change with an all analog or virtual analog setup. It starts sounding warmer and more rounded/pleasing in the second half, or maybe I’m hallucinating. Did you rely on the onboard effects or did you go to plugs? And did you program the sounds from scratch, alter presets? Curious about your workflow... Battery still sounds great, by the way. Lovely piece of software.
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Thanks Luke - there's a few different layers in the 2nd half, but nothing else really. All FX onboard except a bit of EQ. One or two of the presets are just out of the box. I think most of the others I tweaked at least a little, one or two quite significantly. Nothing from scratch yet! And yes, Battery still a great workhorse. I guess I reach for it first when I know I want to create a bespoke pattern from scratch as I did here, often I prefer working with XO or Stylus where it's a different way of creating beats.

What pleased me is that this is day one of a new synth, and that took an hour from beginning to end - I know it's super simple, so not too surprising maybe. But it was quick to work with partly because the presets and synth encouraged me. Doubtless I can do something very similar with what I already have, but the architecture and spirit of a synth I find leads you down particular roads. Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Any luck with the expansions yet?

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

One hour? Well done! Inspiration is the most important aspect in a new synth. Love when you first sit down and every other preset gets you an idea. And no doubt that the creative juices flow differently depending on the synth at hand. It’s good to go with something less familiar here and there.

Haven’t tried the expansions yet today, will give it another try soon, hopefully.
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

Erik

Post by Erik »

I like Pigments too.
UI is well laid out though I do concure with what Guy said (as usual) : not as evident to program as it 1st looks. But nothing unsurmontable.
Soundwise, it works magic... until’ I compare it to Hive 2 (Pigments 2, at least). Hive is more rounded, beaffier, less fizzy.
One never has enough synths I guess...
"I'm using more black notes now and there are a lot of chords in the last album, too" Vince Clarke -1986

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

A free update for users is just out for 3.5 (promo for new users - $99):

(pretty slick that video, I have to say...)

New CrossMod
Pigments introduces CrossMod, allowing you to create versatile frequency modulation behavior between both active engines. This explosive evolution of Pigments' sonic abilities digs deeper into the metallic, razor-sharp, and straight-up massive sounds of drum & bass, grime, dubstep, and beyond.

New Distortion Module
Pigments’s new Distortion Module combines 16 modes of distortion with built-in filtering for easy access to whatever flavor and degree of grit you desire. Crank or pulverize your patches with everything from bubbling germanium fuzz to jagged wavefolding, soft saturation or pure filth.

New Expanded Comb Filter
Pigments expands its Comb Filter with new damped modes: LP6, BP6, and HP6. These modes filter out certain frequencies in the feedback loop, giving you expanded control over the Comb Filter's behavior. Elevate your mixes with ambient plucks, shimmering bowed leads, grinding metallic bass, and much more.

Additions and enhancements
Pigments goes beyond introducing new creative features. It's been thoughtfully tweaked and embellished to deliver the best sound design experience yet, including an enhanced sample engine browser, full M1 compatibility, streamlined interface, new wavetables, and 150+ new presets.

Jaap

Re: Arturia Pigments 3 [3.5 update Dec 21]

Post by Jaap »

Very nice this CrossMod thingie!