There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

AcousticSamples / VHorns

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

AcousticSamples / VHorns

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Best known for their virtual guitars, basses, drums and keyboards — never bad, and in some cases excellent — AcousticSamples have now released a virtual brass section VHorns which, like their recent keyboard-releases, was created via a combination of sampling and modelling.

From the website: "We have been planning a horns project for awhile, (our first recordings were back in 2012) but many things prevented us from doing it until now - namely the fact that we wanted to avoid the need for too many keyswitches, in favor of being able to just control the air flow.
Thanks to our recent work on a hybrid technology blending samples and modeling, we were able to overcome both of these problems and take advantage of having the best of both worlds: impeccable authentic sounding horns with a simple, powerful way of playing them.

This new technology is called HAT (Harmonic Alignment Technology); it allows us to accurately reproduce the timbre evolution from very soft to very loud playing. We found a way to combine both technologies by using samples as the sound source, while the rest utilises modeling techniques. This allows V Horns to weigh just around 90Mb per instrument (retina graphics and presets included), to truly sound like a real live Horn instrument being recorded with all of its imperfections, as well as having fully continuous response with incredible playability. And we are confident in saying that to our ears, and hopefully yours too, VHorns is the most realistic and easy-to-use VST available today. Here are a few performances from real musicians and what we recreated using VHorns (and used for our demos)."

VHorns runs in the UVI Workstation (or Falcon) and is priced at €199

_

Muziksculp

Re: AcousticSamples / VHorns

Post by Muziksculp »

@Piet De Ridder,

Thanks for the heads up on this. Very Interesting.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Sounds great. A big time for realistic sounding solo brass, huh.

Scoredog

Post by Scoredog »

Demos of solo sound very good, there is a demo called "Enough" and about 3 secs in it is enough, I'd like to hear this do a realistic section, I'm not convinced it can.

Tanuj Tiku

Post by Tanuj Tiku »

Fantastic to see others getting into modeling and doing a good job at that!

I am waiting for the day somebody can do an orchestral section with it.

VHorns does sound good - my only tiny criticism is that it sounds a bit too harsh and bright in places. In fact, the trumpet has a bit of the 'muted' sound even without mutes in a couple of places.

But, I know from my experience with SM and AM that this usually has to be addressed with some EQ.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

I wonder how this stacks up against Sample Modeling's Solo Brass ?

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Totally my kind of plugin, this. A buy doesn’t get more instant than this for me. (That is, if only PayPal’s telephone verification system weren’t so bloody problem-ridden: haven't been able to log in to my account these past two days ...)

Yes, there’s an ugly shrillness in some of the sounds — their ‘real’ recordings (many of which aren’t very good either, I thought) exhibit it too though —, yes, some of the trumpet mutes sound a bit so-and-so, yes, there’s an unpleasant and quite artificial sounding buzz in the lower notes of trombone’s higher velocity timbre, yes, the flugelhorn often sounds like a synthetic derivative of the trumpet (it lacks that breathy, velvet-y quality which I like so much in flugelhorns) and absolutely yes, the ensembles won’t win a medal for verisimilitude any time soon, but against all that there are, to my ears, more than enough moments in all these demo clips where the software does get it spectacularly right.

How these VHorns compare to SampleModelling’s instruments, is something that should become clearer after having learned and worked with the library for a few days. I have a feeling though they’ll do very, very well.

_

trumpoz

Post by trumpoz »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Oct 22, 2021 1:44 am Totally my kind of plugin, this. A buy doesn’t get more instant than this for me. (That is, if only PayPal’s telephone verification system weren’t so bloody problem-ridden: haven't been able to log in to my account these past two days ...)

Yes, there’s an ugly shrillness in some of the sounds — their ‘real’ recordings (many of which aren’t very good either, I thought) exhibit it too though —, yes, some of the trumpet mutes sound a bit so-and-so, yes, there’s an unpleasant and quite artificial sounding buzz in the lower notes of trombone’s higher velocity timbre, yes, the flugelhorn often sounds like a synthetic derivative of the trumpet (it lacks that breathy, velvet-y quality which I like so much in flugelhorns) and absolutely yes, the ensembles won’t win a medal for verisimilitude any time soon, but against all that there are, to my ears, more than enough moments in all these demo clips where the software does get it spectacularly right.

How these VHorns compare to SampleModelling’s instruments, is something that should become clearer after having learned and worked with the library for a few days. I have a feeling though they’ll do very, very well.

_
I'd be interested to hear what they are like for section work - particularly with the sort of biting articulation that is present in Earth Wind and Fire, Jerry Hey Horns etc. I didn't like what I heard articulation-wise.

The demos do, at times sound very similar to the original recordings - which is a big plus for the library, particularly in a jazz setting. Although the flugel is too bright for my taste, there were some moments in there where I sat back and smiled. The My Funny Valentine demo had some lovely moments and even a hint of airiness in the sound which I enjoyed....and a vibrato that sounded almost natural.
Richard Linton

I'm just a guy who plays and writes music.

I suffer from G.A.S. - Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Oct 22, 2021 1:44 am Totally my kind of plugin, this. A buy doesn’t get more instant than this for me. (That is, if only PayPal’s telephone verification system weren’t so bloody problem-ridden: haven't been able to log in to my account these past two days ...)

_
Son of a bitch, every time I say I am over GAS and will only buy what I need for a current project I hear this! I suspect that if I buy it it will be quite a while, if ever, I need it, but man, I WANT IT!

I should have known, however, since V-Reeds and V-Tines replaced Neo Soul Keys in my templates, and B-5 is my go to Hammond organ.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Muziksculp wrote: Oct 21, 2021 11:19 pmI wonder how this stacks up against Sample Modeling's Solo Brass?
Every bit as good as Sample Modelling, Sculp. The mid and high registers of the trombones are even much better than the Sample Modelling one. To my ears, anyway. Much better. The low register of Trombone 1 however, is alas nothing much to slide home about: no body, no balls, no authority. Pity. Trombone 2 is much preferable in this respect.

The two trumpets are very good too, at times spectacularly spot on even, although, after spending the better part of the day with them, it seems to me they’re both best served in smaller doses. Any solo exposure of considerable length while also remaining wholly believable is, I think, asking a bit too much from these two. (That said, I also stop believing the amazing SM Trumpet completely if it gets too much focus for too long.) But all in all, the two VTrumpets are really great. And the mutes (which didn’t impress me very much in the demos) are surprisingly good too. Fortunately, the Harmon is not another embarrassing attempt at a Miles Davis-soundalike (which, without exception, I deeply dislike in virtual trumpets). It’s simply a good 'standard' Harmon mute that I think would also work well in orchestral settings.

One other minor thing that might be considered a problem is that both the trumpets and the trombone at their brighest — high velocities combined with a modwheel yanked all the way up — produce a timbre which, I have a feeling, would be outlawed by the World Health Organization, if they knew about it, as being unfit for human consumption. Because it is an extremely piercing and grating sound. Borderline painful. Easy to avoid though, so no big issue.

On the plus side: sen-sa-tio-nal-ly expressive, unbelievably nimble and agile and offering even more control over the important performance details — such as subtle tuning instabilities, intonation precision of the attack, that lovely hint of flutter in the legato transitions which is so characteristic of brass, the nice dynamic vibrato, the brilliantly implemented half-valve effect, … — than the Sample Modelling instruments. Not that I’m anywhere near to discarding the Sample Modelling instruments, far from it, but they'll definitely be seeing considerably less use henceforth than they saw up until today.

The spatialization and mixing possibilities of the VHorns are also much more extensive than what you get with Sample Modelling. Not that you get something of the quality of IrcamSPAT with the VHorns, but you do get something pretty impressive sounding. Although it has to be added that the spatial concept of the software seems more geared towards small and medium-sized groups (in small and medium-sized venues) than towards large-scale orchestral productions. (With the right tools and know-how however, it’s no problem at all to transplant these 5 instruments, very convincingly, in any virtual orchestral context you can think of.)

Oh, yes, the two Flügelhorns. They deserve a few words too, of course Well, mostly very good (if a touch generic-sounding perhaps) but with the unfortunate exception of the note A3 — or A4, depending on which note-naming standard you follow — in both instruments, where you can hear, especially at lower dynamics, the ‘compositing’ of the various soundwaves that make up the timbre. (A slight oversight on the part of the person(s) who balanced the timbral ingredients, I think. It’s perfectly judged in every other note, but not so in the A3. Easily corrected though, I assume.)

And below C3 (or C4), the notes of the Flügel2 are delivered with what sounds like an insane amount of spit nesting in the tube of the instrument. It’s almost a sort of gurgling sound you get. So much so, that you can only use this register very rarely at higher dynamics, or maybe as a comedy effect.
Still, I would suggest emptying the Flügel2 of its excess of saliva when work on the first update gets underway.

On the whole though: I’m very pleased with this VSextet. I can imagine they might disappoint those who desire power, punch or massive epic majesty from their brass instruments — the VHorns, it seems to me, were not developed with that idiom in mind — and I fear they’re also not the best choice for ultra-tight, snappy, high-energy Tower-Of-Power-like brass parts or to simulate the brass explosions you frequently hear in, for example, Quincy Jones big band recordings, but barring those situations — and I’ve never heard any of these things done well with virtual brass anyway — there is little I can think of (in the way of music that features brass instruments) where the VHorns can’t make a truly wonderful, totally musical and more-often-than-not quite believable contribution.

_

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

The Saxer

Post by The Saxer »

I installed the V Horns today. Really impressive. Very playable by wind controller when shortening the attack times. Especially the trombones are great. Too bad the second trombone isn't a bass trombone.
I have to do a mockup for 2Tp/2Tb/As/Ts/Bs+Rhy-section in the next few days and will try them together with the new Audiomodeling saxes (which should come out in the next few hours). First time I thing there's an suitable alternative to some of the Samplemodeling instruments. Nice to be playable in Falcon too.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

What's new about the saxes? Did you do a demo for them, Saxer?
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

The Saxer

Post by The Saxer »

Lawrence wrote: Oct 25, 2021 10:49 pm What's new about the saxes? Did you do a demo for them, Saxer?
No. I just got mails in the last days from Audiomodeling that v3 is only "hours" away. Whatever that means.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I’m a customer, no email. Boo.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

The Saxer

Post by The Saxer »

Got this mail 20 hours ago... still less than a day! ;)

(Sorry fot OT in the VHorns thread)
All Version 2 SWAM Solo Woodwinds are currently available at more than a third off of their regular price, but this sale lasts only until the release of the V3 versions… which will happen less than one day from now. This 35% discount is an amazing saving on Audio Modeling’s breakthrough virtual wind instruments, which are built on performance-ready modeling technology, rather than bulky, elaborate sample sets.

SWAM Solo Woodwinds bring you realistic flutes, clarinets, saxophones, and double reed instruments that respond to real-time controllers as expressively as traditional acoustic wind instruments do.

What’s more, if you take advantage of these great prices, you become eligible for a special upgrade price to the V3 instruments: an incredible 75% off the V3 price. Combine the two discounts by buying the V2 instruments and then upgrading to V3, and pay less than buying V3 instruments at their regular price.

But there is very little time remaining to grab this fantastic bargain because the V3 instruments are ready to go as soon as our impatient CEO brings his finger down on that big, red RELEASE button. After that, owners of V2 can still get the upgrade price, but new buyers will pay the regular price for V3 instruments.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Audio Modelling has released v3. I predict a few frowning faces and raised eyebrows though when people see the prices.

_

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Speaking of prices, the VHorns collection now shows up in the cart at AudioDeluxe at $159; and of course, it could cost even less if you have any DeluxeBucks to apply. After purchase, it then grants another $15.90 in DeluxeBucks to your account.

I have no ties to AudioDeluxe, for what it's worth. I just thought that the info above might save some money for anyone who plans to purchase. As for me, I'm still waiting to take the plunge.

Best,

Geoff

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Geoff Grace wrote: Oct 26, 2021 9:04 pm Speaking of prices, the VHorns collection now shows up in the cart at AudioDeluxe at $159; and of course, it could cost even less if you have any DeluxeBucks to apply. After purchase, it then grants another $15.90 in DeluxeBucks to your account.

I have no ties to AudioDeluxe, for what it's worth. I just thought that the info above might save some money for anyone who plans to purchase. As for me, I'm still waiting to take the plunge.

Best,

Geoff
Thanks for the tip.

Well, I decided to take the plunge, I don't know if it was a smart move, but I got it at AudioDeluxe at a reduced price. Not bad.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Oct 26, 2021 1:45 pm Audio Modelling has released v3. I predict a few frowning faces and raised eyebrows though when people see the prices.

_
$75 isn't awful as an upgrade price from V2 (which I have) but I have little idea what the upgrade entails soundwise.

L.J. Nachsin

The Saxer

Post by The Saxer »

Here a three very little snippets I made with V-Horns (2 Tp, 2 Tb) und Audiomodeling Saxes V3 (As, Ts, Bs). Room is Virtual Sound Stage 2 for early reflections+panning and Seventh Heaven for the tail.

(I posted this on vi-control too so I simply used the same link)
https://vi-control.net/community/data/a ... 22afda.mp3

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

I succumbed, and I am already glad I did. These are great and he has promised me saxes are in the future. For now, I will probably mix with Broadway Big Band's saxes or even Logic Pro's, which are better than you would expect.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

The Saxer wrote: Oct 27, 2021 7:01 am Here a three very little snippets I made with V-Horns (2 Tp, 2 Tb) und Audiomodeling Saxes V3 (As, Ts, Bs). Room is Virtual Sound Stage 2 for early reflections+panning and Seventh Heaven for the tail.

(I posted this on vi-control too so I simply used the same link)
https://vi-control.net/community/data/a ... 22afda.mp3
You always make everything sound great, Saxer, and those are no exception.

I thought the dynamics were a little...polite? maybe it's what you were going for?

What were your impressions of any changes in saxes V3?

L.J. Nachsin