There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Incoming / major True Strike and Symphobia updates

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Guy Rowland

Re: Incoming / major True Strike and Symphobia updates

Post by Guy Rowland »

Good news - it's a 1.3gb update via Native Access, ie this isn't a do-over update requiring a complete re-download.

Less good news - originally it broke my install, with 10,000 missing files and batch resave couldn't find them. Eventually I twigged - mine is so old I still have WAV samples, and I had to check the "allow alternate file types" box - that did the trick. (If I'd have watched the video above first, he'd have saved me the stress as he explains this at around the 25 minute mark).

Also be aware - the new container takes up 1gb of RAM before any samples are loaded. When with samples, it's initially a breathtaking 4.2gb on my rig. That said, I think due to Kontakt dynamic memory management, it then dropped to 1.3gb after 10 minutes of playing. Fortunately my old instruments still work right back to 1.0, so for simple stuff that's all still there. The new interface is lovely for browsing, layering, multi-ing (yeah that's a hyphenated word), or using adaptive sync.

kpc

Post by kpc »

Looking forward to your walk through video, Guy :)

I do wonder when Kontakt will release an update for Apple Silicon. I believe it is my last hold out plugin.

Still on the fence with getting Symphobia - super close - but I don't do that much orchestral stuff anymore, and do I really need it? hmmm. If I knew Kontakt was coming sooner rather than later, it would be a lot easier.
- kayle

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

kpc wrote: Dec 17, 2021 8:25 am Looking forward to your walk through video, Guy :)
Do you think I need to do one? This is very thorough...

Since I've done so much ProjectSAM I guess I could do a short update over the holidays....

soundbylaura

Post by soundbylaura »

Oh this will be fun!

I still think ProjectSAM's loyalty pricing scheme sucks but I can't complain about free major updates six years after I bought the library.
Be an upstander.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

soundbylaura wrote: Dec 17, 2021 9:28 am I still think ProjectSAM's loyalty pricing scheme sucks but I can't complain about free major updates six years after I bought the library.
I bought S1 in 2009. Not sure any other developer can top free updates after 12 years.

kpc

Post by kpc »

Guy Rowland wrote: Dec 17, 2021 8:58 am
kpc wrote: Dec 17, 2021 8:25 am Looking forward to your walk through video, Guy :)
Do you think I need to do one? This is very thorough...

Since I've done so much ProjectSAM I guess I could do a short update over the holidays....
I wouldn't say need to, no. But I always enjoy your take on it, so there you go. Certainly wouldn't want you to take time away from your holiday festivities.

cheers
- kayle

Grizzlymv

Post by Grizzlymv »

kpc wrote: Dec 17, 2021 6:42 am 30% discount with code: Symphobia2021

Might just push me over the edge and finally buy this one.
I'm wondering the same. Is it still relevant in 2021? I mean it's a clear no brainer for any original owners, but I'm wondering how much of this is still actually being used nowadays. I always been attracted by it to give a little punch to some tracks, but I'm concerned its sounds are too recognizable and despite the new programming, if this will start showing its age.

I did recently pulled the trigger on TrueStrike 1 with the new update, but I think it's easier to go through time with a perc lib than a string/brass one. For instance I still own the original (on Giga format) ProjectSAM brass (I missed the upgrade path to the legacy kontakt version) but despite having a nice sound, I can't say the recordings would do it justice with a revamped programming. or maybe I'm wrong? ;)

seems like some of you already own Symphobia 1. How many of you still actively use it? Still a valid tool to have your pallet as a new acquisition in 2021?

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Grizzlymv wrote: Dec 17, 2021 1:47 pmseems like some of you already own Symphobia 1. How many of you still actively use it? Still a valid tool to have your pallet as a new acquisition in 2021?
Welcome Grizzlymv!

I'm not a great case study as I've barely touched anything orchestral in a year. Before then it did sneak into a fair few projects. There's two main uses - when you need that tone (the shorts in particular are often still the best thing for the job), and when scoring in a great big hurry. I've always been a fan of the multis there.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I did do a quick lil' overview of the new stuff:

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Another good one, Guy!

_

Grizzlymv

Post by Grizzlymv »

Thanks for the feedback and that video Guy! Very informative as always. :)

kpc

Post by kpc »

Thanks Guy - great as always. Happy Holidays!
- kayle

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Bonus thought - my main rig has used Symphobia for many years in many templates, so I need to retain compatibility and perform that update and batch resave. However the laptop use is much more adhoc, and past compatibility isn't really an issue. So there I can actually reduce my install size by about 8gb by completely removing the old versions and then installing the new from scratch. I might then try to port the original instruments in a legacy folder so if I just need one light instrument I still have it. Sometimes the guis muck up doing this, so I'll report back on success / failure.

EDIT - I kinda worked, but I forgot to check if in fact I already had ncw on the laptop first, so it doesn't look like I saved any RAM. An initial scare when it wouldn't show up before I remembered I had to update Kontakt first. Also a few of the old patches have missing samples - seems to be mostly close mic brass and stage solo strings, I think I'll live.