There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Incoming ./ Unfiltered Audio's Tails

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Incoming ./ Unfiltered Audio's Tails

Post by Piet De Ridder »

In cauda venenum. Not only the title of an Opeth album, but originally an old Roman saying — arrived at, it is believed, after one too many encounters with the deadly scorpion — meaning that the poison’s in the tail.

There’s a new plugin out (well: almost out) that contradicts all this: Tails by Unfiltered Audio.

“Tails” (developed in collaboration with BT) is a most unusual reverb plugin that “thanks to its polytonal dual buffer and auto-ducking capabilities, automatically removes dissonances and transients from your reverb tails, keeping your decays as clean and impressive as possible.” And there’s more. Lots more: “TAILS analyzes incoming audio, listening for major transients and note changes. Whenever its threshold is met, the reverb instantly ducks and switches over to an empty reverb buffer, which blooms rapidly. This results in a clean reverb decay that is free of discord from metallic hits and out-of-key notes. It can even pre-duck incoming transients to keep them from ever cluttering up your reverb”

You have to hear in action or, better still, spend some time with the demo version, to really get a good idea of what "Tails" is capable of. Here’s a few video’s:

Tails is not available yet but it’s been announced on the PluginAlliance website and you can already download a demo version. It’ll probably be released sometime this week.

_

Geoff Grace

Re: Incoming ./ Unfiltered Audio's Tails

Post by Geoff Grace »

In concept, it reminds me of Zynaptiq’s Adaptiverb. I wonder how similar it is in practice.

Best,

Geoff

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Geoff Grace wrote: Apr 03, 2022 4:30 pm In concept, it reminds me of Zynaptiq’s Adaptiverb. I wonder how similar it is in practice.
While I’m sure there’s many distinct areas for each, I’d just read exactly the same thing on KVR, various people saying Adaptiverb sounds smoother. The CPU hit on that plugin is huge mind, maybe that’s an area where Tails can improve on it.

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

I immediately thought about Adaptiverb - just as you guys. Adaptiverb has a very high latency, if I remember correctly (haven't used it for quite a while, although I should ...). Maybe that is among the things that could set this apart. At least these videos have reminded me to include adaptiverb in to my future sound design concepts more. :-) It surely is a very unique sound your get by creating these huge rooms, but being able to create a clear harmony changes at the same time.