There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Fiedler Audio / SpaceLab (Immersive 3D Spatialization)

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Fiedler Audio / SpaceLab (Immersive 3D Spatialization)

Post by Piet De Ridder »

"Fiedler Audio has released Spacelab, a new plug-in that combines state-of-the-art reverb, 3D panning, and spatialization in one plug-in - providing access to the world of 3D audio for anyone on any DAW.
The plug-in treats incoming audio as objects, which are positioned in the space of a virtual room. That room creates reverberation of these objects. The objects plus their reverb are then rendered to any desired output format, ranging from stereo up to any 3D-audio format, be it for speakers, or for headphones via binaural rendering. Any speaker layout can be rendered to headphones enabling mixers to monitor and work anywhere. Producing for binaural reproduction provides makes it possible to distribute to everyone, even in mp3 or AAC. Spacelab is fully compatible with Dolby Atmos and MPEG-H workflows.
Spacelab Beam is the "transporter" plug-in to Spacelab. Beam makes it super easy to send your tracks into Spacelab from anywhere in your session. So even DAWs with "just" stereo architecture can be enhanced with full 3D spatial audio."

Spacelab comes in two versions:
Spacelab Ignition (Intro: €149 / List: €249) is the tool for music producers that want to be able to position sounds in space.
Spacelab Interstellar (€599) is the product of choice for up to 256 independent audio objects in space.

_

FriFlo

Re: Fiedler Audio / SpaceLab (Immersive 3D Spatialization)

Post by FriFlo »

Are you considering this as Spat alternative, Piet? It seems more reasonable price-wise. And this seems to be a plugin vs a standalone application which Spat is since its "revolution". I would like to look into it, as there are many things to try out, like how well you can manage it in Cubase or what the limitation of 32 sources means. If it is a plugin, couldn't I just open another instance and route another 32 sources there? Well, unfortunately I haven't got the time to look into it, right now. Maybe later, but thanks for the hint!

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

I'm not considering it, Fritz, no. I'll definitely check it out though, to see what this Fiedler software is all about, what it is capable of and how it sounds, but unless the version of SPAT which I have now (v3) turns out to be completely unusable on the new MacStudio -- I'll know in a month or two --, I won't change my spatialization techniques. I even think I'd rather upgrade to SPAT Revolution (or SPAT Essentials), if it comes to it, because I like SPAT soooo much.

_

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Apr 25, 2022 11:08 am I'm not considering it, Fritz, no. I'll definitely check it out though, to see what this Fiedler software is all about, what it is capable of and how it sounds, but unless the version of SPAT which I have now (v3) turns out to be completely unusable on the new MacStudio -- I'll know in a month or two --, I won't change my spatialization techniques. I even think I'd rather upgrade to SPAT Revolution (or SPAT Essentials), if it comes to it, because I like SPAT soooo much.

_
Unless I'm severely mistaken, I don't think v3 will work on your new Mac, Piet. It doesn't even work on my trusty MacPro since High Sierra. It no longer instantiates. As an alternative, I tested SPAT Revolution for a month and ran into sync issues (due to its architecture of being its own app now) and Vincent from support could simply not make it work, though he tried, bless him. Now that there's a competitively priced version of SPAT Rev though, I would seriously consider going to that when my Mac finally is upgraded. Though I will also look into Fiedler's effort.
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

Jack Weaver

Post by Jack Weaver »

I had to abandon SPAT v3 when I got a 2019 Mac Pro with Catalina.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Thanks, Luke and Jack.
Not pleasant news, but inevitable, I suppose.

_

1gc

Post by 1gc »

For what it's worth, I don't want to start a fight here, but Spat still works fine on a custom audio computer, running Windows 10 and Cubase 11.
g.c.

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

Yes, I asked, because I already noticed that my Spat v3 was not available any more in macOS Monterey (and probably earlier). Revolution is not an option for me due it being a standalone and the price. That is why I am curious about this release.