There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Novation Launchkey 88

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
EvilDragon

Novation Launchkey 88

Post by EvilDragon »

88 key semiweighted. Go nuts.
Kontakt is love, Kontakt is life!

Guy Rowland

Re: Novation Launchkey 88

Post by Guy Rowland »

Hello Mario! Yes, looks rather nice - full info here - https://novationmusic.com/en/news/intro ... unchkey-88

But funnily enough only last week I noticed another keyboard that I think would suit me better, the Nektar GPX88

I never use the faders on my Swissonic, but do use a couple of the pads to trigger midi notes (linked to enable/disable in VE Pro). The Nektar would be able to do that, leave space for my Nanokey for keyswitches, wheels are in the right place and it's a lot less deep than either the Swissonic or the new Launchkey so would fit better on the desk.

The previous model of Nektar had a strange black key response, but word on the street is they sorted that for the GPX range (which also comes in smaller note sizes).

Trouble is - the Swissonic lives on, I can't quite justify binning it just yet. But I suppose it could always have an unfortunate accident, couldn't it?

tack

Post by tack »

I'm in another camp altogether. Unhappy with my S88's key feel, I've been somewhat in the market for this contradiction: piano feel (fully weighted, graded key bed) while also supporting after touch. I'd have bought the VPC1 by now if it also supported aftertouch.
- Jason

Topic author
EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

Viscount K4 EX might be up your alley maybe. By default they have Fatar TP40L but I heard you can contact them to put a graded TP40WOOD instead.

Might also wanna check out Studiologic Numa X Piano GT (TP400WOOD) or SL Grand (TP40WOOD).

tack

Post by tack »

You know, I had previously written off the SL Grand due to the lack of pitchbend wheel (the modulation sticks are kinda piddly), but I think I'm nowadays more willing to compromise that (because I ultimately don't use pitchbend much). Thanks for reminding me it supports AT.

The Numa X Piano GT is fairly new and escaped my awareness entirely. Thanks ED. :)
- Jason

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

PS - Mario, my ego is assuaged at seeing my name in lights - do you think changing the thread title to "88 note keyboards" might be more useful in the long run? Cheers pal.

lofi

Post by lofi »

Guy Rowland wrote: May 26, 2022 11:23 am Hello Mario! Yes, looks rather nice - full info here - https://novationmusic.com/en/news/intro ... unchkey-88

But funnily enough only last week I noticed another keyboard that I think would suit me better, the Nektar GPX88

I never use the faders on my Swissonic, but do use a couple of the pads to trigger midi notes (linked to enable/disable in VE Pro). The Nektar would be able to do that, leave space for my Nanokey for keyswitches, wheels are in the right place and it's a lot less deep than either the Swissonic or the new Launchkey so would fit better on the desk.

The previous model of Nektar had a strange black key response, but word on the street is they sorted that for the GPX range (which also comes in smaller note sizes).

Trouble is - the Swissonic lives on, I can't quite justify binning it just yet. But I suppose it could always have an unfortunate accident, couldn't it?
I broke a key on my NI Kontrol.
Got the Nektar as a temporary solution while the other was on service.
It’s at great value and I haven’t really noticed any difference in key responses.
The NI is back from service but I’m still on the Nektar.
Best,
/Anders

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Thanks Anders, very good to know. The wheels look kinda small, are they ok in use?

tack

Post by tack »

Guy Rowland wrote: May 26, 2022 1:39 pm PS - Mario, my ego is assuaged at seeing my name in lights - do you think changing the thread title to "88 note keyboards" might be more useful in the long run? Cheers pal.
Since this was posted on The Front Page which is visible to search engines and unregistered users, I've gone ahead and changed the title.
- Jason

Topic author
EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

Yeah sure I don't mind the subject change. :)

lofi

Post by lofi »

Guy Rowland wrote: May 26, 2022 3:57 pm Thanks Anders, very good to know. The wheels look kinda small, are they ok in use?
Hmm, I guess…
I don’t really use them, have one of those USB controllers.
E6130D4C-0EB9-4CB4-909D-076B21BD23EC.jpeg
So, yeah, if you are used to larger wheels then this might be on the smaller/shorter side.

I’ll try to use it more next week.

/Anders

tack

Post by tack »

tack wrote: May 26, 2022 1:35 pmThe Numa X Piano GT is fairly new and escaped my awareness entirely.
Been looking at this and find myself tempted. The biggest drawback for me is the price: I don't need any of the built-in sounds, internal audio device/mixing stuff, really all I want is quality piano-feel keybed with after touch and some form of pitch bend control. (The Kawai VPC1 could have been perfect but ticks only one of those 3 boxes.)

But apart from paying an extra $1k CAD for stuff I will never use, it's an interesting looking product. (Not a fan of the wood side panels though, it has to be said.)
- Jason

Themisto

Post by Themisto »

tack wrote: May 27, 2022 9:54 am
tack wrote: May 26, 2022 1:35 pmThe Numa X Piano GT is fairly new and escaped my awareness entirely.
Been looking at this and find myself tempted. The biggest drawback for me is the price: I don't need any of the built-in sounds, internal audio device/mixing stuff, really all I want is quality piano-feel keybed with after touch and some form of pitch bend control. (The Kawai VPC1 could have been perfect but ticks only one of those 3 boxes.)

But apart from paying an extra $1k CAD for stuff I will never use, it's an interesting looking product. (Not a fan of the wood side panels though, it has to be said.)
I am hoping StudioLogic put the new keyboards from the Numa X range into the sl88 grand and studio controllers.