There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Jazz String scores-Sher Music

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
1gc

Jazz String scores-Sher Music

Post by 1gc »

Just discovered this. Is anyone aware of this?

SherMusic.com
Jazz Scores and Analysis, Vol. 2:
Strings and Other Things
Orchestral jazz writing with strings, by masters of the artform:
Eddie Sauter
Oliver Nelson
Pat Williams
Claus Ogerman
Jeff Beal
Chris Potter
Vince Mendoza
Chuck Owen
Miho Hazama
Tim Garland
Annotated full scores
Analysis of each score
Online access to interviews with each living composer
9" x 12", 438 pages!

Talking to the company itself there are utube links to performances and audio of all the included pieces located within.
g.c.

bryla

Re: Jazz String scores-Sher Music

Post by bryla »

Wow. This is definitely going on the shelf! But sigh, as usual with books like these the engraving is horrible and notation questionable to be considered legit but the notes should be worth every cent.
Thomas Bryla

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Someone here is spending my money! That books looks great, as do several others. And I love that they are available as PDFs, not just for the cost savings, but I can put a chart up on one screen while I work on the other.

And that shop - they have a lot to be tempted by!

Topic author
1gc

Post by 1gc »

Hope some people find some workable grace through this.
I was listening to the Patrick Williams American Concerto (the 2nd movement is offered here) and wondered how many people have really paid attention to his contributions, as with Ogerman (try his Symphonic Dances). Vince Mendoza is from a different world then many of us, his collaboration with-Joni Mitchell, the 2nd album (not the covers but of her originals) has some beautifully written, recorded (and mixed) stuff in it.
g.c.

RobS

Post by RobS »

thanks for this! Just got the downloadable pdf version and it's a marvelous book, one that I wish I could have fifty years ago... as Thomas says the engraving isn't very well done and they must not have a proofreader because several typos slipped in, like in the appendix I on bowing tecniques:
Detashé
Martalé
Richochet
Sul Punticello
:)

stonzthro

Post by stonzthro »

I have a soft spot in my heart for bowing misspellings - always makes me chuckle...

RobS

Post by RobS »

hehe but they leave an amateurish impression, not acceptable in an official publication

bryla

Post by bryla »

Pizzacato!
Thomas Bryla

RobS

Post by RobS »

they got that one right... :)

JJP

Post by JJP »

RobS wrote: Jul 19, 2022 11:05 am hehe but they leave an amateurish impression, not acceptable in an official publication
Indeed. You would expect any publication to hire proofreaders, but sadly, some don’t. It’s frustrating to think of the cumulative months of my life spent in a chair proofreading music to be performed once and thrown away. Here is music that is supposed to educate for years, and nobody bothered to have it properly proofread. :(
I put dots and lines on paper.

Symbols of Sound - music preparation & consulting
We help you make extraordinary music.

RobS

Post by RobS »

I'm going through some of the scores in the book, have done half of Ogerman's Cityscape and today as a relief from work I've tried part of Eddie Sauter's "Pan" from the Focus album with Stan Getz. Not an easy one, with all the fast spiccato repetitions. I do it as an exercise, and as a way to memorize arranging techniques and sonorities that would otherwise slip away in my weak memory...
Excellent collection anyway, have anyone bought the book and tried some of the scores?

bryla

Post by bryla »

I bought the hard copy and I am still waiting for it :)
Thomas Bryla

RobS

Post by RobS »

bryla wrote: Jul 31, 2022 3:58 am I bought the hard copy and I am still waiting for it :)
I'd have liked to have the hard copy, but was afraid of delivery times... the immediate availability of the pdf download was too sweet to resist. Plus, I don't trust Italian shipping system. One cool thing they might have done is sending the pdf while you wait for the printed copy.

bryla

Post by bryla »

Just cancelled my order because I didn't receive them yet. Trying Amazon.de now :)
Thomas Bryla