There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Cherry Audio / GX-80

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Cherry Audio / GX-80

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Cherry Audio have released their long anticipated take on the Yamaha CS-80 and more than that, they've fused it with a software incarnation of an even more phenomenal Yamaha-beast, the 'dream machine' GX-1, both now available in one softsynth: the GX-80.

$59 intro price, $79 regular price.

__

Muziksculp

Re: Cherry Audio / GX-80

Post by Muziksculp »

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Hi,

imho. The GX-80 is the best VST Synth I purchased this year, and I would even easily say that it is already one of my favorite VST Synths. I hope Cherry Audio can improve the CPU usage efficiency, it not good right now, But i have been successfully able to work with it with no CPU issues when I host it in VE-Pro 7 locally on my PC, Hosting it directly in S1Pro 6 was a CPU usage nightmare .

I would highly recommend this synth if you like the classic sounds of Yamaha's classic CS80 and GX1 Analog Synths,

I would love to read some feedback from other users of this synth.

Cheers,
muziksculp

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

It's pretty impressive, yes. Took me quite some time before I fell under the spell of Cherry Audio — their first few releases never quite convinced me, I must admit — but since the Elka-X, I'm a convert. And Sines is my favourite of the lot. I really, really like Sines.

What stops the GX-80 from becoming another favourite, for me, has got nothing to do with Cherry Audio — they've done a superb job — but everything with the awkwardness of the original instruments. I mean, there's no getting away from the fact that a CS-80 is not a very intuitive or fun synth to program, with all its peculiarities and idiosyncracies. At least, that's my opinion. I firmly believe the 'CS-80 experience" can only be truly and fully had when sitting in front of the real thing. No matter how accurately they manage to model or recreate the sound, there's simply too much, in the way of interacting with and performing on the instrument, that has to be sacrificed when turning it into a piece of software. A CS-80 suffers from this conversion (from hard- to software) much more than, say, a Juno. The OB-E has the exact problems as the GX-80 in this respect, I feel. G-Force has done their absolute best to make working with this software as intuitive and enjoyable as possible, but the individuality of the hardware original is such that it simply stands in the way of a software-translation ever becoming an undivided inspirational joy.

All of which has me, by and large, preferring softsynths that aren't based on hardware originals. (I've also always felt there's something strangely ridiculous about the skeuomorphically designed softsynths. It's very helpful in one way, sure, but in the case of a beast like the CS-80-now-GX-80, it also hampers working with the thing. I mean: ever so carefully pushing a tiny mock-fader with the mouse pointer? That, in my opinion, goes totally against what these instruments are, and should be, all about.)

But it sounds fabulous, no doubt about it. Whether it actually succeeds in perfectly simulating the classic CS-80/GX-1 sound, I can't say (only knowing the originals form their recorded appearances) and it doesn't really interest me anyway. I have no intention whatsoever of doing 'Blade Runner' soundalikes with this software (in fact, one of the challenges will be, when working with the GX-80, to stay as far away as possible from anything that might remind the listener of 'Blade Runner' or other iconic CS-80/GX-1 recordings).

Too soon for me to include the GX-80 in a round-up of favourite recently purchased softsynths. Three synths that do make it into that round-up are the aforementioned Sines, the impossible-to-overpraise Repro-5/1 (an older release, I know, but I only bought a few weeks ago) and the jaw-dropping surprise that is the UAD Opal.

_

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Nov 24, 2022 3:23 amAll of which has me, by and large, preferring softsynths that aren't based on hardware originals. (I've also always felt there's something strangely ridiculous about the skeuomorphically designed softsynths. It's very helpful in one way, sure, but in the case of a beast like the CS-80-now-GX-80, it also hampers working with the thing. I mean: ever so carefully pushing a tiny mock-fader with the mouse pointer? That, in my opinion, goes totally against what these instruments are, and should be, all about.)
The CS-80 is a particular case in point, it seems to me. The combination of the polyphonic aftertouch and the ribbon mean that the main reasons why Vangelis et al made it their own can't reasonably be even replicated (using a mouse with the ribbon seems just silly), and so you end up with another perfectly good soft synth with tiny tiny faders.

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

I can see the downside of skeuomorphic design; but as long as a soft synth supports MIDI mapping, I'm okay.

Best,

Geoff

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Nov 24, 2022 3:23 am It's pretty impressive, yes. Took me quite some time before I fell under the spell of Cherry Audio — their first few releases never quite convinced me, I must admit — but since the Elka-X, I'm a convert. And Sines is my favourite of the lot. I really, really like Sines.

What stops the GX-80 from becoming another favourite, for me, has got nothing to do with Cherry Audio — they've done a superb job — but everything with the awkwardness of the original instruments. I mean, there's no getting away from the fact that a CS-80 is not a very intuitive or fun synth to program, with all its peculiarities and idiosyncracies. At least, that's my opinion. I firmly believe the 'CS-80 experience" can only be truly and fully had when sitting in front of the real thing. No matter how accurately they manage to model or recreate the sound, there's simply too much, in the way of interacting with and performing on the instrument, that has to be sacrificed when turning it into a piece of software. A CS-80 suffers from this conversion (from hard- to software) much more than, say, a Juno. The OB-E has the exact problems as the GX-80 in this respect, I feel. G-Force has done their absolute best to make working with this software as intuitive and enjoyable as possible, but the individuality of the hardware original is such that it simply stands in the way of a software-translation ever becoming an undivided inspirational joy.

All of which has me, by and large, preferring softsynths that aren't based on hardware originals. (I've also always felt there's something strangely ridiculous about the skeuomorphically designed softsynths. It's very helpful in one way, sure, but in the case of a beast like the CS-80-now-GX-80, it also hampers working with the thing. I mean: ever so carefully pushing a tiny mock-fader with the mouse pointer? That, in my opinion, goes totally against what these instruments are, and should be, all about.)

But it sounds fabulous, no doubt about it. Whether it actually succeeds in perfectly simulating the classic CS-80/GX-1 sound, I can't say (only knowing the originals form their recorded appearances) and it doesn't really interest me anyway. I have no intention whatsoever of doing 'Blade Runner' soundalikes with this software (in fact, one of the challenges will be, when working with the GX-80, to stay as far away as possible from anything that might remind the listener of 'Blade Runner' or other iconic CS-80/GX-1 recordings).

Too soon for me to include the GX-80 in a round-up of favourite recently purchased softsynths. Three synths that do make it into that round-up are the aforementioned Sines, the impossible-to-overpraise Repro-5/1 (an older release, I know, but I only bought a few weeks ago) and the jaw-dropping surprise that is the UAD Opal.

_
Hi Piet,

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

So, how is the GX-80 running on your computer in terms of CPU utilization ? for me it has not been a good experience. Too CPU heavy for me.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

I've read a few other people saying that too, but I don't have a single issue with the performance of GX-80 so far. Seems to consume about the same resources as the Elka-X. Just checked it again, picking a dozen or so presets at random, and the highest the CPU-meter ever rises is somewhere around 30-35%, pretty much the same as the Elka requests. Most of those presets I tried didn't even get past 20-25%.

In comparison: the Knifonium (Plugin Alliance) frequently makes the CPU-meter go up to 50% and higher, and u-he Diva (granted, with its Accuracy-setting at 'Great') can even make it jump up to 75% or higher still.

All this in LogicPro (still in Rosetta mode, because of BFD3), running in Monterey on a MacStudio Ultra.

_

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Nov 27, 2022 11:40 am I've read a few other people saying that too, but I don't have a single issue with the performance of GX-80 so far. Seems to consume about the same resources as the Elka-X. Just checked it again, picking a dozen or so presets at random, and the highest the CPU-meter ever rises is somewhere around 30-35%, pretty much the same as the Elka requests. Most of those presets I tried didn't even get past 20-25%.

In comparison: the Knifonium (Plugin Alliance) frequently makes the CPU-meter go up to 50% and higher, and u-he Diva (granted, with its Accuracy-setting at 'Great') can even make it jump up to 75% or higher still.

All this in LogicPro (still in Rosetta mode, because of BFD3), running in Monterey on a MacStudio Ultra.

_
OK. Thanks. I guess it's just my system is not up to the task to deal with these newer, more demanding synth plugins. I have a 10 year old PC / Intel based. I plan to move to Mac/ Apple silicon chip next year, once Apple releases their next generation M2 processors. I'm hoping a well spec'd Apple Silicon M2 Mac next year should be able to handle my full template, without the need for any slave machines.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Nov 24, 2022 3:23 am
What stops the GX-80 from becoming another favourite, for me, has got nothing to do with Cherry Audio — they've done a superb job — but everything with the awkwardness of the original instruments. I mean, there's no getting away from the fact that a CS-80 is not a very intuitive or fun synth to program, with all its peculiarities and idiosyncracies. At least, that's my opinion. I firmly believe the 'CS-80 experience" can only be truly and fully had when sitting in front of the real thing. No matter how accurately they manage to model or recreate the sound, there's simply too much, in the way of interacting with and performing on the instrument, that has to be sacrificed when turning it into a piece of software.
Yep. Any synth that used polyphonic aftertouch is going to lack the authenticity unless support for it is included and you have a keyboard controller capable of generating it.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

I'm looking forward to receive my ROLI Seaboard 2 Keyboard during Dec. , I ordered it back in March. It should be very cool to test it with the GX-80, and many other MPE capable VSTs, and even HW Synths.