There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Virharmonic Bohemian Cello v4 released (not UVI)

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Virharmonic Bohemian Cello v4 released (not UVI)

Post by Guy Rowland »

Following the migration of Violin to the Gorilla platform, Bohemian Cello has gone the same way.

NEW IN V4

New Plugin built on the Gorilla Engine

Background Streaming (loads in under a second on SSD)

Massive memory demand decrease (3 Gb down to under 1 Gb when streaming)

multiple instances of the plugin shares resources

Performer Mode: Solo, Second violin, Trio, Chamber, Divisi Trio & Divisi Chamber

New Articulations: Ricochet, Col Legno, Ponti Cello, Sul Tasto & Harmonics

Crafting - Blend any forced on bow type/Articulation with our legatos.

New Convolution & Algorithmic Reverbs with added spaces: Hall, Chamber and Studio

Virtual performer rebuilt from the ground up, now even more responsive and can play extremely fast

New functions: Velocity control, Built in Expression control, built in help guide.

Moods have been adjusted, evolved and renamed: Czardas = Assertive, Concertino = Classical

Sprightly mood has been redesigned and now utilises Spiccato overlay on-top of short bowed and slurred runs legato
Intro price of €149, RRP €229, existing customers free update.

tack

Re: Virharmonic Bohemian Cello v4 released (not UVI)

Post by tack »

The installation process remains completely hopeless -- you will be confused by it and do something wrong, I assure you -- and the CodeMeter copy protection stuff seems even more intrusive than it was with the violin -- it launches CodeMeter Control Center on startup occupying Yet Another Slot in your icon tray which I don't remember it doing with the violin (though maybe I just repressed that memory) and ends up accumulating duplicate licenses as you do reinstalls (which was necessary at least with the hotfix Virharmonic just released today).

But the cello itself is lovely as ever.
- Jason

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I don’t remember dealing with codemeter at all in the install - it was probably already there in the background and it just sort of happened.

The only thing I screwed up was not being sure which were the install files I could safely delete and which were the real data files. I found out soon enough though (the ones 2gb in size are the install files), and no permanent damage done.

Scoredog

Post by Scoredog »

Guy, I know we are both big fans of the violin but in the demos I hear of the cello the vibrato seems too much often for say using as a first chair (the violin functions very well in that capacity). Wondering what your experience is with this. I have Tina and the new Intimate Cello (which does not work great as a first chair for me) among others.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Scoredog wrote: Nov 26, 2022 2:29 pm Guy, I know we are both big fans of the violin but in the demos I hear of the cello the vibrato seems too much often for say using as a first chair (the violin functions very well in that capacity). Wondering what your experience is with this. I have Tina and the new Intimate Cello (which does not work great as a first chair for me) among others.
I think it is more of an issue with the cello than the violin. You do have a completely nv articulation you can force, but that's very stark and unrefined.

Here's an example. A one-pass improv of a simple phrase, first playing on the basic Improv setting at low velocities (one medium velocity in the descending figure). Then the exact same midi played again, this time forcing nv throughout:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0e2phq30fz297 ... t.wav?dl=0

I'd like somewhere between these two to be honest, but we're kinda stuck there.

I'm still hearing more bumps than the Violin too. Usually these are fixable with a velocity tweak in the midi, but it's shame it's not quite as out-of-the-box magic as the violin.

Scoredog

Post by Scoredog »

Thanks Guy!