There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Toontrack / Stockholm SDX

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Toontrack / Stockholm SDX

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Stockholm SDX

"This SDX for Superior Drummer 3 was recorded at Riksmixningsverket (RMV Studio). Housed in a 150-year-old naval warehouse and beautifully situated right on the water at the inlet of the river, this is one of the proper gems of the central Stockholm studio scene. With rustic ceiling beams breaking up the diffusion, reflective surfaces of several types of material and with a soft wooden floor that acts like a cushioning membrane in the studio's relatively large but still compact-sounding room, it's a space ideal for bringing out the inherent qualities of any acoustic instrument. All in all, five kits were recorded – each handpicked to complement the others and to serve its own role in what the team set out to capture: a unique palette of beautifully singing drums covering the entire spectrum of tones – from warm, earthy and genuinely sparse to bright, loud and vibrantly forceful.

In addition to the drums, a basic set of grooves performed by sampling drummer Josephine Forsman (known from the Swedish band Sahara Hotnights) as well as a broad selection of presets designed by session engineer Linn Fijal as well as by the Tooontrack sound design team are provided. This all combined will enable you to get started instantly with great-sounding drum beats and mixes that you can use as springboards to venture off into your own unchartered sonic spaces.

From one of the top pop metropolises of the world straight to your desktop, here's an SDX that decisively underlines that there is absolutely nothing stock about Stockholm. Welcome in to the studio. Have a seat at the console...and start mixing."

Features
- Five (5) kits, 12 snares, nine (9) kicks and three (3) sets of cymbals.
- Kit selections designed to cover anything from mellow to loud.
- Recorded at Riksmixningsverket (RMV Studio) in Stockholm, Sweden.
- Engineered by Linn Fijal, assisted by Vilma Colling.
- Sampled by Josephine Forsman.
- Comes with a broad collection of mix-ready presets for each kit.
- Includes a custom MIDI library of drum grooves and fills.

Price: $179.

_

Guy Rowland

Re: Toontrack / Stockholm SDX

Post by Guy Rowland »

It sounds very nice.

They all sound very nice.

I'm fully into the Toontrack ecosystem, but at this point I'm well past needing anything else. And their pricing really doesn't threaten to buy more than I need. EZ Drummer 3 is now £140 for UK retailers and comes with a ton of excellent kits and some features SD3 doesn't have. Of course I understand an SDX has more depth, more mic positions, more sampled layers, more everything, but €180 is helpfully exorbitant . Even their 40% off prices don't tempt me.

I guess this model works for them though, even in tough economic times.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Guy Rowland wrote: Apr 26, 2023 5:36 amIt sounds very nice.
Yeah, it does. I've mentioned more than enough already how I feel about most of the others, but this one might tempt me back into the TT fold. Great room sound around the drums too.

__

wst3

Post by wst3 »

The demos are excellent, but then I've yet to purchase an SDX I didn't love. Some are more specialized than others, and they are expensive, but I imagine they are not cheap to create?

I think I am in good shape with respect to SDX libraries, lately I find I am turning to Decades as my first try frequently. But I would not want to be limited to that one sound.