There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Acousticsamples VWinds Clarinets announced

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
doctoremmet

Acousticsamples VWinds Clarinets announced

Post by doctoremmet »

Will edit post as soon as more details get published.

Piet De Ridder

Re: Acousticsamples VWinds Clarinets announced

Post by Piet De Ridder »

The clarinets are released.

_

RobS

Post by RobS »

did you already get them Piet?

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Bought them, yes. But I haven't downloaded them yet.

__

mcalis

Post by mcalis »

I'd also be interested in hearing how you get on with them, Piet!

I'd be especially interested to hear how these instruments work in their built-in positional tool versus the almighty Spat V3. By default I am always rather skeptical of built-in positioners though I must admit that this one actually sounds quite decent.
Matthias Calis

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Like ‘em a lot. Now, these being part sampled part modeled, you can always point at various details — an odd attack here, a slightly peculiar sample there, a not entirely convincing transition somewhere else, … — that could be improved, but, to me, the award-worthy success of these instruments is because, before all else, they speak genuine clarinetese. And they’re eloquent in all the emotional and musical registers that the clarinet is commonly relied upon to express. Very few virtual clarinets can do that, and I certainly don’t know of any other virtual clarinets that cover so much clarinet-territory as convincingly (and effortlessly) as these instruments do.

I must confess that, because of the way I usually work, I haven’t payed all that much attention to the built-in spatializer of the AcousticSamples V-series, but after a closer look & listen today, exploring the possibilities and trying a few things out, yes, I do agree that that part of the software is also seriously good and remarkably powerful. One could easily make a spatially quite advanced mix without bringing in an additional tool.

I’m especially happy with these because I can now, at long last, return to pieces which have been sitting unfinished on my HD (some for many years) for the sole reason that I didn’t have a virtual clarinet and/or bass clarinet that could render their part satisfactorily.

Full marks? Maybe not quite. But certainly very close.

There’s one little thing in the V-series software that keeps puzzling me and that is that I just can’t seem to get the glide-function to work consistently and predictably. I have the same problem with the saxophones as well. Sometimes there’s a glide (when I expect one), but most of the time, there’s not. I don’t know why. (And I‘ve tried all the settings.)

__