There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Musio - latest stuff

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Lawrence

Re: Musio - latest stuff [MUSIO 1 $199 this weekend]

Post by Lawrence »

Damn you, Guy Rowland.

I mean, I SO don’t need it, but your evangelism has me considering it at $199.

13 hrs to go.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Lawrence wrote: Feb 25, 2024 1:58 pm Damn you, Guy Rowland.

I mean, I SO don’t need it, but your evangelism has me considering it at $199.

13 hrs to go.
Don't take my word for it (or indeed anything). But quick, give it a demo, see if there are nuggets you could use. I find there really are some hidden gems in there.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Any opinions on Voxos? (looking for reasons to justify this)
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Mike Greene

Post by Mike Greene »

Lawrence wrote: Feb 25, 2024 1:58 pm 13 hrs to go.
Yeah ... this is Cinesamples, though, so I'm taking all bets that they extend the sale. "Popular demand" and all that. Even if they don't, we can be sure they'll repeat the sale within a few months, possibly even cheaper.

Then again, I caved and bought it just now, so I guess I'm not that confident in my predictions. ;)

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Yeah, I thought the same…but.

Voxos sounds pretty nice (prolly not as nice as Sunset Choir 😉 but nice. Is the legato programming in Musio?

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Lawrence wrote: Feb 25, 2024 3:48 pm Voxos sounds pretty nice (prolly not as nice as Sunset Choir 😉 but nice. Is the legato programming in Musio?
There are legatos in Musio that work well for me - more so in the ensembles than the solo actually. (do the trial!)

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

3rd time trying to open the installer zip file-ain’t opening. Interesting.

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Lawrence wrote: Feb 25, 2024 4:27 pm 3rd time trying to open the installer zip file-ain’t opening. Interesting.
Odd - installed 1.20.0 on Ventura yesterday with no issue. File size of the zip says 77.6 mb.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Guy Rowland wrote: Feb 25, 2024 4:30 pm
Lawrence wrote: Feb 25, 2024 4:27 pm 3rd time trying to open the installer zip file-ain’t opening. Interesting.
Odd - installed 1.20.0 on Ventura yesterday with no issue. File size of the zip says 77.6 mb.
Trying on Monterey-same version/same size.
WinZip won’t open it.

L.J. Nachsin

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Lawrence wrote: Feb 25, 2024 3:34 pm Any opinions on Voxos? (looking for reasons to justify this)
I have Voxos. I haven’t used it much because I have other choir libraries I like better, and I don’t use choir that often anyway; but I don’t regret the purchase. It’s reasonably good, and it’s another option that I can choose from.

I wouldn’t buy Musio 1 for it, but it’ll be a nice plus if you decide to buy into the Musio platform for other reasons. I’d jump on this deal if I didn’t already have all of CineBrass, CinePerc, and so many other titles from Cinesamples that it’s hard for me to justify buying Musio 1 over other investments; but I think this is a great deal nonetheless.

Best,

Geoff

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Geoff Grace wrote: Feb 25, 2024 7:11 pm
Lawrence wrote: Feb 25, 2024 3:34 pm Any opinions on Voxos? (looking for reasons to justify this)
I have Voxos. I haven’t used it much because I have other choir libraries I like better, and I don’t use choir that often anyway; but I don’t regret the purchase. It’s reasonably good, and it’s another option that I can choose from.

I wouldn’t buy Musio 1 for it, but it’ll be a nice plus if you decide to buy into the Musio platform for other reasons. I’d jump on this deal if I didn’t already have all of CineBrass, CinePerc, and so many other titles from Cinesamples that it’s hard for me to justify buying Musio 1 over other investments; but I think this is a great deal nonetheless.

Best,

Geoff
Thanks for the feedback.

I don’t have a huge need for choirs-I get by with a combo of older libraries like EWSC, StormChoir, the (surprisingly good) choir from Ark 1 and various other bits and bobs.

Because I bought the Cinesamples stuff I wanted during the glitch sale it’s really a tough call. Voxos is a SLIGHT step up. Sonora? Deep Brass? Drums in Blue? Cinewinds? Solo strings? Dunno. Maybe.

I emailed Musio support. We’ll see.

L.J. Nachsin

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Cinestrings Solo is the only one of their orchestral libraries I don't have, and I have most of the artist series as well, which leaves nothing, right now anyway, that I want from them.

Even so, it is a fantastic idea - if they can keep up with the demand for new content. And if they can get back some of the tricks that Kontakt Scripting provided.

I'll pass this time because there really isn't anything else I want. I"m pretty sure on day I will cave.

Mike Greene

Post by Mike Greene »

Geoff Grace wrote: Feb 25, 2024 7:11 pmI’d jump on this deal if I didn’t already have all of CineBrass, CinePerc, and so many other titles from Cinesamples that it’s hard for me to justify buying Musio 1 over other investments; but I think this is a great deal nonetheless.
Lawrence wrote: Feb 25, 2024 7:24 pm Because I bought the Cinesamples stuff I wanted during the glitch sale it’s really a tough call. Voxos is a SLIGHT step up. Sonora? Deep Brass? Drums in Blue? Cinewinds? Solo strings? Dunno. Maybe.
That's where I am, too. There's nothing I need from Cinesamples that I don't already have. (Glitch sale took care of that.) The only reason I got in on this one is if we decide to release something on Realitone where there might be something to be learned from Cinesamples, I'd have it. Tina Guo Cello or things like that, where it never hurts to see how other guys did something.

Larry, I'm not so sure this is a no brainer for someone in your situation. The "keep this forever" aspect is nice, but the $99/year subscription isn't so bad, either. Or better yet, since you already have the good stuff on Kontakt, just $9.99 on the months where you actually use something you don't already have. With a free first month.

If Cinesamples stays afloat and continues to release anything of note after the collections already promised, then we're not covered for those new releases in the coming years, so you'll be on the hook for another $99 or so for the upgrade to Musio 2. And Musio 3, and on and on.

Then again, my crystal ball doesn't have a lot of confidence in them being able to invest much in future releases, so I dunno.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Mike Greene wrote: Feb 25, 2024 8:21 pm
Geoff Grace wrote: Feb 25, 2024 7:11 pmI’d jump on this deal if I didn’t already have all of CineBrass, CinePerc, and so many other titles from Cinesamples that it’s hard for me to justify buying Musio 1 over other investments; but I think this is a great deal nonetheless.
Lawrence wrote: Feb 25, 2024 7:24 pm Because I bought the Cinesamples stuff I wanted during the glitch sale it’s really a tough call. Voxos is a SLIGHT step up. Sonora? Deep Brass? Drums in Blue? Cinewinds? Solo strings? Dunno. Maybe.
That's where I am, too. There's nothing I need from Cinesamples that I don't already have. (Glitch sale took care of that.) The only reason I got in on this one is if we decide to release something on Realitone where there might be something to be learned from Cinesamples, I'd have it. Tina Guo Cello or things like that, where it never hurts to see how other guys did something.

Larry, I'm not so sure this is a no brainer for someone in your situation. The "keep this forever" aspect is nice, but the $99/year subscription isn't so bad, either. Or better yet, since you already have the good stuff on Kontakt, just $9.99 on the months where you actually use something you don't already have. With a free first month.

If Cinesamples stays afloat and continues to release anything of note after the collections already promised, then we're not covered for those new releases in the coming years, so you'll be on the hook for another $99 or so for the upgrade to Musio 2. And Musio 3, and on and on.

Then again, my crystal ball doesn't have a lot of confidence in them being able to invest much in future releases, so I dunno.
Yeah Mike, not a no-brainer.

I’m pretty sure Cinesamples will honor the deal past the drop dead date-I think they might have anyway but the fact that I have a tech problem with the installer adds to it. As a result, I have a little more time to decide.

L.J. Nachsin

Blake Ewing

Post by Blake Ewing »

Lawrence wrote: Feb 25, 2024 4:35 pm

WinZip won’t open it.
Any particular reason you aren't using the default macOS Archive Utility app to open zip files? I downloaded Musio today for a trial and it opened right up (on Ventura 13.6.4).
Composer. Audionaut.
http://www.blakeewingmusic.com

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Blake Ewing wrote: Feb 26, 2024 1:36 am

WinZip won’t open it.
Any particular reason you aren't using the default macOS Archive Utility app to open zip files? I downloaded Musio today for a trial and it opened right up (on Ventura 13.6.4).
Because I didn’t know about it? 😊

I’ve been using WinZip for years. My recent update to Ventura apparently broke it, so I d’led a more recent version (which weird because WinZip insisted I was on the most recent one.)

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Lawrence wrote: Feb 26, 2024 1:45 am

WinZip won’t open it.

I’ve been using WinZip for years. My recent update to Ventura apparently broke it, so I d’led a more recent version (which weird because WinZip insisted I was on the most recent one.)
Yes, same as Blake I just click that zip file and it auto-extracts in the OS - that's not working for you in Monterey?

On the general, here's some of the libraries I think are strong in Musio that aren't immediately obvious:

Apocalypta - aggressive solo cello
Gina Luciani - cinema flutes (these are extemely good)
Hardanger Fiddle
Randy's Celeste
Taylor Davis - solo violin
Tina Guo - violin and cello
Voces 8 (this is pretty unique for a small vocal ensemble and works great)
Cinebrass Descant Horn and Snore - I never had these and both are the absolute best of the Cinebrass line
Forbes Pipe Organ - great tonal range beyond the usual fff
Men and Women of the North
Viola Da Gamba

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Guy Rowland wrote: Feb 26, 2024 3:26 am
Lawrence wrote: Feb 26, 2024 1:45 am

WinZip won’t open it.

Yes, same as Blake I just click that zip file and it auto-extracts in the OS - that's not working for you in Monterey?

On the general, here's some of the libraries I think are strong in Musio that aren't immediately obvious:

Apocalypta - aggressive solo cello
Gina Luciani - cinema flutes (these are extemely good)
Hardanger Fiddle
Randy's Celeste
Taylor Davis - solo violin
Tina Guo - violin and cello
Cinebrass Descant Horn and Snore - I never had these and both are the absolute best of the Cinebrass line
Forbes Pipe Organ - great tonal range beyond the usual fff
Men and Women of the North
Viola Da Gamba
No, it didn’t. Still investigating but WinZip works again. I probably had it as the default extractor.

Thanks for the info.

L.J. Nachsin

CPacaud

Post by CPacaud »

Bought it! Currently digging in and finding lots of things to like - for example, the prepared piano looks expansive and inspiring.

Also looking forward to trying out the beefy stuff from CinePerc, which was a blindspot I wanted to fill in my collection.

I looked into the CineBrass stuff which I've seen mentioned as an especially beloved library. Anyone with insight into how it handles more traditional classical writing?

wst3

Post by wst3 »

I'm not paranoid - you guys really are out to bankrupt me.

For $200 it is probably worth it for a handful of libraries. Voces 8 and Apocalypta would be enough, although I'm intrigued by the Gina Luciani Flutes. Also curious about the Men and Women of the North, and it would let me try out Cinestrings Pro and Solo.

Yeah, I was looking for a reason to spend some money on even more sample libraries :)

Blake Ewing

Post by Blake Ewing »

Guy Rowland wrote: Feb 26, 2024 3:26 am

Sorry for the complete derail, but I've just seen voces8 this week, and was fortunate enough to meet with them after. VERY talented and lovely group of humans.
Attachments
IMG_3160.jpeg
IMG_7439.jpeg
IMG_7441.jpeg
Composer. Audionaut.
http://www.blakeewingmusic.com

wst3

Post by wst3 »

I don't think this counts as off topic, and I am a wee bit envious!

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Re: Musio - latest stuff

Post by Guy Rowland »

Nice update today to 1.23.
LIBRARY UPDATES
- CineHarps: 34 new patches + plucks patch updated
- CineBrassCore: 5 new patches + Collection-wide updates: Fully re-worked gain staging, layer blending, and dynamic range. Added release controls. Smoother legato transitions and releases
- CineSymphony: 10 tonal patches re-built from the ground up with updated new samples: re-denoised, re-timed, re-normalized, better layer gain-balancing and blending. More UI controls. Percussion patches release control bug fixed
- ForbesPipeOrgan: 5 new keyswitch patches

SOFTWARE UPDATES
- The catalog view has been improved in order to provide a better user experience.
- The search box has been moved into a static toolbar within the catalog view.
- Moved the catalog's back button to the catalog toolbar.
- The collection view header has been redesigned to be more streamlined.
- It's now possible to filter the catalog to show downloaded items only. This filter is global within a single Musio instance, and will apply wherever possible.
- It's now possible to navigate to the Instrument view and back without losing your position in the catalog.
- It's now possible to jump directly to a collection from the rack by clicking on the collection title on an instrument slot.
- Updated tutorial images.
- Added gzip support for catalog downloads.
- Musio Standalone's audio-settings dialog now matches Musio Connect's colour-scheme.
- Improved speed and efficiency when opening a new instance of Musio.
- Improved discoverability of Musio Connect on Mac.
- Improved reliability of asset (images and audio previews) downloads.
- Fixed a catalog update issue that prevented outdated items from being removed properly.
- Fixed an issue that could result in misleading instrument download error messages.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when referencing a non-existent instrument slot.
- Fixed some networking issues that could prevent Musio Connect from communicating with the web service.
- Fixed an issue that resulted in empty log files being written to disk.
- Fixed an issue that prevented Musio instances from remembering the last-viewed catalog tab.
- Fixed an issue that prevented instruments from loading during file integrity checks.
- Fixed an issue that prevented instrument controls from being recalled correctly if saved with a value of 0.
- Updated some third-party libraries.
- Misc. UI fixes and performance improvements.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

my my my - they are a busy lot

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

“Download all” has finally arrived - works on a collection basis.

Also:
5 New Collections:

Create Series: Accent Pianos
Create Series: Kalimba
Create Series: Tongue Drum
Create Series: Toy Xylo
Create Series: Twisted Psaltry

12 New patches for existing collections:

CineStrings Core: Ensemble | Keyswitch patch
Quatre: 10 new Ensemble patches + 1 new Ensemble Keyswitch patch

Updates and Bug Fixes:

Studio Guitars: Added pedal volume control