There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Modartt / Pianoteq Bechstein DG

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Modartt / Pianoteq Bechstein DG

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Here's a piano sound that, only two years ago, you simply couldn't get out of Pianoteq: a crisp, snappy, finely-chiseled, articulate sound that immediately sits rather well in a mix, without the need of chains of processing plug-ins.

It's the brand new C. Bechstein Digital Grand that's just been released as an expansion for Pianoteq. (And when purchased before January 31st, you get a 50% discount on whatever other instrument pack that takes your fancy.)

(For those that are interested in these things: the drums in the above demo were done with Mixosaurus — which, like the Bechstein Digital Grand, also has its roots in Teldex Berlin, hence the name of the piece 'Berliner Jam'. The bass is MODO.)

_

kpc

Re: Modartt / Pianoteq Bechstein DG

Post by kpc »

Sounds Great as always Piet. Makes me think I should look into picking up PianoTeq - seems like I had a version way way way long along.

But I have to ask - is this a model of a Sampled piano? Is that what the Digital Grand is? Is this perhaps the first time someone modeled a Sampled Instrument?
- kayle

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Yes, it seems to be a modelled version of Bechstein's own Digital Grand (which was sampled at Teldex). I don't have all that much information on this new Pianoteq instrument, I'm afraid, because this time around, I was only able to follow the development of this piano from a distance. But if you really want to know, I can always ask Philippe at Modartt.

_

DougF

Post by DougF »

Love the track, Piet! A little slice of Fagen/Grolnik heaven.

tack

Post by tack »

That is an excellent track, Piet. This piano sits nicely in that mix, but having tried it this weekend, I find the mid-range has that lifelessness that Pianoteq does tend to struggle with. I think the dark, mellow tone of the Bluethner masks this, but it has a way of standing out on the brighter pianos.

Still, every year is an incremental improvement. Really great to see Pianoteq pushing forward.
- Jason

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Doug, Jason, thanks.

Yes, Jason, depending on what you play and where on the keyboard you play it, the modelled nature of the instrument still might come through a bit more than you like. The big thing in this release though, for me anyway, is what I mentioned at the start of this thread: this Bechstein can produce a really snappy, well-articulated sound (that has just the right amount of energy in its attack transients) and that is something which, until now, always was beyond the software's abilities.

_

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I hear that as well, and nice track, Piet.

I looked into Mixosaurus (your drums sounded excellent). Discontinued, but available at $399. A bit over my pay grade, but they certainly sound great.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin