There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Synapse Audio OBSESSION Synth Released !

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Synapse Audio OBSESSION Synth

Guy Rowland

Re: Synapse Audio OBSESSION OB-Xa Synth Coming Soon !

Post by Guy Rowland »

That's an interesting UI, I'll be intrigued to see how it works in practice.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Makes me nostalgic.

Man, I sure did a lot of portamento rises back in the day :)
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

Guy Rowland wrote: May 21, 2020 2:43 am That's an interesting UI, I'll be intrigued to see how it works in practice.
Without any of that glow that was added in video post. :D
Kontakt is love, Kontakt is life!

The Saxer

Post by The Saxer »

Isn't there just a OB-Xa clone out by Arturia?

Topic author
Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

The Saxer wrote: May 21, 2020 5:34 pm Isn't there just a OB-Xa clone out by Arturia?
Yes, and It's a brand new release :)

Hopefully Synapse Audio's version will be out soon.

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

The Saxer wrote: May 21, 2020 5:34 pm Isn't there just a OB-Xa clone out by Arturia?
Yes but it's not as good or detailed as Synapse's version.

Erik

Post by Erik »

EvilDragon wrote: May 22, 2020 6:01 am
Yes but it's not as good or detailed as Synapse's version.
Good news !
I don’t find Arturia ´s impressive at all.
"I'm using more black notes now and there are a lot of chords in the last album, too" Vince Clarke -1986

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Nobody else tried the free OBX-d I mentioned?
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Erik

Post by Erik »

I think I did, Jay. Some time ago :-(
"I'm using more black notes now and there are a lot of chords in the last album, too" Vince Clarke -1986

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

Ashermusic wrote: May 26, 2020 9:31 am Nobody else tried the free OBX-d I mentioned?
It doesn't emulate an OB-Xa at all.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

EvilDragon wrote: May 26, 2020 1:28 pm
Ashermusic wrote: May 26, 2020 9:31 am Nobody else tried the free OBX-d I mentioned?
It doesn't emulate an OB-Xa at all.
Ah, thanks ED.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

It actually doesn't emulate any Oberheim specifically, it's more of an "inspired by" sort of thing.

Topic author
Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Here is a comment posted by Richard of Synapse Audio on KVR forums today 6-6-20. So, we are not too far from the release of Obsession.
Quote :

"Getting very close :) Beta testers have been incredible, responding to new versions lighting fast so we could make rapid progress and pretty much finish the plugin. Some work is left to do on the factory library and manual. Hard to estimate how long this will take exactly, but roughly 1-2 weeks should be realistic."

Topic author
Muziksculp

Re: Synapse Audio OBSESSION Synth Released !

Post by Muziksculp »

OBSESSSION Synth Released !

Synapse Audio OBSESSION Synth

wst3

Post by wst3 »

OK, I must admit, some of those patches sounded really good even on my laptop speakers. They sounded REALLY good on the studio monitors. Just what I needed...

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Wow. The pads in particular have a very luscious analog sound.

One thing I don't get, which I didn't understand with the (free) OXa from IK-if it's modeled after an Oberheim (the color scheme is the same) why no noise generator, why no unison mode? (or is either there somewhere?)
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

I am sure this is way above it, but I signed up for and received for free the Syntronik OX-A and I am pretty happy with it.

Larry there is a Unison Mode, click the Mono button.
Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 7.00.33 PM.png
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/s ... uments-oxa

For $69.99 I can buy all of them, including my two favorites, the Memorymoog (in my view, the best sounding synth in history) and the Jupiter 8. As I have Omnisphere 2, the U-he Prophets, the Arturia Mood Modular, the the now defunct but still working LinPlug Albino 3, Crono X3, and Octopus and all the Logic synths, I think I am all set up for synths.

www.jayasher.com

Topic author
Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

OXa is a sample based synth.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

I know. But I am a pianist who plays some synthesizer so with all the others I have, it’s ok for me. But i can understand why bit might not be for real synthesists..

www.jayasher.com

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Jay, change to mono mode. Do you hear the wonderful sound of all oscillators in a thick glorious one voice sound? No, you don’t. Nor is there the noise generator from the OBX-a. Trust me, I owned one. This ain’t it.

L.J. Nachsin

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Ok Larry thanks.

www.jayasher.com

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Fabulous sounding presets, in much the same way Arturia's weren't. And I can't recall many in my Sonic Projects op-x Pro ii sounding like it, eg the pad at 1'50 - how d'ey do dat?

Because the op-x sounds fabulous, I've not really considered this but must confess I might have to give it a demo. If it's nice to work with - the Sonic Projects famously isn't - then my jaded self could conceivably crumble.

I can't face the Syntronk series - I have so many great proper synths, the prospect of a vast sample pool of sampled synth-lites just doesn't appeal.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Plus it’s a pain to install. It’s hard to complain about “free”, but a composer friend and I were texting back and forth trying to get the damn thing to work.

For anyone going for it, you need both Syntronik Free and SampleTank 4 free, which isn't made clear. The dL’s were slow as heck on my system and then there was the registration/authorization nonsense. IMO, IK do themselves no favors with that sort of stuff.

L.J. Nachsin

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

I completely understand the sensation of having too much of a good thing. I'm currently resisting a swath of summer sales and new releases from respected developers for that very reason.

That said, I want to flesh out the image of Syntronik a bit. Yes, the synths are sampled; but the circuits are modeled. One of the lead sound designers of Syntronik, Erik Norlander, was also lead on the Alesis Andromeda two decades ago; and that monster creation is respresented among the plethora of synths that were sampled (and partly modeled) for IK Multimedia.

The sampling approach is not without its shortcomings, but it's certainly less limited than many might suppose. Syntronik is not the first softsynth I'd recommend, but I'm glad I have it. (I bought the Deluxe version, and I acknowledge that it was a bit of a pain to install—you have to download and install each synth separately, IIRC.)

Best,

Geoff