There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Orchestral Tools Phoenix Chinese Orchestra

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Orchestral Tools Phoenix Chinese Orchestra

Post by Guy Rowland »

Gorgeous demo (and visuals)

21 individual instruments, 7 instrument ensembles, and 4 orchestral sections
A wide range of Chinese instruments, including gaohu, erhu, zhonghu, guzheng, yangqin, and pipa
Detailed solo instruments—each with characteristic articulations, swells, and ornaments
100% playable, with true legato
Recorded in situ, with the players in traditional seating arrangement

Created in collaboration with composers Harry Gregson-Williams and Richard Harvey, Phoenix Orchestra is a rich and detailed celebration of Chinese musical culture.

Phoenix Orchestra presents a wide range of traditional Chinese instruments, captured in the context of a classical chamber orchestra. Explore new textures through four orchestral sections: plucked strings, bowed strings, wind instruments, and percussion. Create individual parts with 21 solo instruments, including guzheng, yangqin, erhu, zonghu, dizi, and sheng. Enhance the richness of individual parts with seven instrument ensembles, which group several players of the same instrument.

All instruments were recorded in situ, with players in typical chamber orchestra seating positions, to ensure a 100% authentic sonic image when using the instruments together.

With Phoenix Orchestra, we wanted to create a nuanced library that reflects a true understanding of these original Chinese instruments. We worked closely with Richard Harvey—a composer and multi-instrumentalist with deep expertise in traditional and unusual instruments.

The resulting library captures the exceptional playing technique of master musicians. You can reproduce all of the dynamic articulations, swells, and ornaments unique to each instrument. With true legato for all melodic instruments, you can craft expressive sustaining parts with heightened realism.

And everything is completely playable. There are no pre-recorded phrases.

Pre-order for €299 +VAT (regular price €499)
Offer ends September 21, 2020

Geoff Grace

Re: Orchestral Tools Phoenix Chinese Orchestra

Post by Geoff Grace »

The pre-order price is very attractive, and I like the sound.

I'll probably wait for an eventual sale, though, as I have no urgent need for a Chinese orchestra; and Orchestral Tools has yet to release an AAX Sine.

Best,

Geoff

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Richard Harvey. Well, there's a blast from the past. :D

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

OT's Phoenix Chinese Orchestra was a pleasant surprise for me.

I'm surely Pre-Ordering PCO.

There must be a higher demand for Chinese Orch. Libraries these days, since Strezov Sampling released their Jade Ethnic Orchestra not too long ago, and now OT releasing PCO. I wonder who will be releasing another one next.

I'm also looking forward to OT releasing their Berlin Libraries in SINE format.

They are taking their time to further improve them, in terms of better legato, and other details. So, once they are on SINE they will be like getting an improved version of what they had on their Kontakt/CAPSULE version, and for free if you had them in Kontakt version.

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Muziksculp wrote: Sep 05, 2020 8:31 pm There must be a higher demand for Chinese Orch. Libraries these days, since Strezov Sampling released their Jade Ethnic Orchestra not too long ago, and now OT releasing PCO. I wonder who will be releasing another one next.
I'm not sure these product releases are because of a bigger demand. I think companies saw an opportunity in a pandemic stricken world to both fill a void in the marketplace and record in an environment that had successfully subdued Covid-19.

Best,

Geoff

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Geoff Grace wrote: Sep 06, 2020 1:57 pm
Muziksculp wrote: Sep 05, 2020 8:31 pm There must be a higher demand for Chinese Orch. Libraries these days, since Strezov Sampling released their Jade Ethnic Orchestra not too long ago, and now OT releasing PCO. I wonder who will be releasing another one next.
I'm not sure these product releases are because of a bigger demand. I think companies saw an opportunity in a pandemic stricken world to both fill a void in the marketplace and record in an environment that had successfully subdued Covid-19.

Best,

Geoff
Strezov Sampling recorded their Instruments for JADE before the COVID-19 Pandemic was announced. So, not sure the COVID-19 reasoning sticks.

imho. We can not ignore the Supply - Demand factor, there are not that many comprehensive, and high-quality Chinese Instrument sample libraries, So some developers are meeting that void by supplying the marketplace.

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

In the case of Strezov Sampling, I probably should have realized that they couldn't have brought their product to the marketplace as early as they did had they recorded it after China got Covid-19 under control. As to why Orchestral Tools chose to make this product, it's possible my speculation holds water; but who knows?

And of course, I agree that there was a void to be filled prior to the arrival of these two products.

Best,

Geoff

Tanuj Tiku

Post by Tanuj Tiku »

Geoff Grace wrote: Sep 06, 2020 2:51 pm In the case of Strezov Sampling, I probably should have realized that they couldn't have brought their product to the marketplace as early as they did had they recorded it after China got Covid-19 under control. As to why Orchestral Tools chose to make this product, it's possible my speculation holds water; but who knows?

And of course, I agree that there was a void to be filled prior to the arrival of these two products.

Best,

Geoff
Since Harry Gregson Williams is involved and he has just finished work on Mulan, I think there might be a connection. He may have asked OT to make a custom library which was to be released after the release of the film in some form.

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Interesting thought, Tanuj.

Best,

Geoff

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Tanuj Tiku wrote: Sep 06, 2020 3:21 pm
Geoff Grace wrote: Sep 06, 2020 2:51 pm In the case of Strezov Sampling, I probably should have realized that they couldn't have brought their product to the marketplace as early as they did had they recorded it after China got Covid-19 under control. As to why Orchestral Tools chose to make this product, it's possible my speculation holds water; but who knows?

Best,

Geoff
Since Harry Gregson Williams is involved and he has just finished work on Mulan, I think there might be a connection. He may have asked OT to make a custom library which was to be released after the release of the film in some form.
Yes, HGW is directly related to this Library Project by OT.

I even think Harry used some of the sounds of the library in the score, he is supposed to be talking about this project in a video release in the near future. I'm sure we will know more about the Pheonix Library Project, and HGW's involvement in the development soon.

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Thanks for sparking this side discussion, Muziksculp. I'm enjoying the exploration of why we suddenly have two Chinese Orchestras by major developers. It's fun sometimes to speculate.

Best,

Geoff

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Geoff Grace wrote: Sep 06, 2020 3:40 pm Thanks for sparking this side discussion, Muziksculp. I'm enjoying the exploration of why we suddenly have two Chinese Orchestras by major developers. It's fun sometimes to speculate.

Best,

Geoff
You are Welcome.

I'm enjoying this side discussion as well. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if we see other developers jump on the Chinese Sample library wagon/trend.

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Tanuj Tiku wrote: Sep 06, 2020 3:21 pm Since Harry Gregson Williams is involved and he has just finished work on Mulan, I think there might be a connection. He may have asked OT to make a custom library which was to be released after the release of the film in some form.
More about that here:

Best,

Geoff

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Looking forward to Phoenix Chinese Orchestra's Instruments Walkthrough videos.

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

On a side note, speaking as someone who spent the majority of my youth in "The Valley of the Sun," here's what I normally associate with The Phoenix Orchestra:

The Phoenix Symphony

Best,

Geoff

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Here is the first walkthrough video. More detailed videos will be released soon.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

OT Phoenix Chinese Orchestra released today.

Here is the bowed strings walkthrough video :

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »