There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Skaka

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Thomas Mavian

Skaka

Post by Thomas Mavian »

A new release from Klevgrand: Skaka (which means "shake" in Swedish).
Skaka is a sample-based sequencer plugin for shaker percussion instruments. It has 12 slots, each with its own instrument, parameters (lots of them!) and pattern. We've built both the sequencer and the sampler from the ground, to optimize this instrument for these types of sounds. Each pattern contains events, with individual parameters like pitch, velocity (as in how fast the instrument is shaken), and envelope.

https://klevgrand.se/products/skaka

Intro price of $24.99

This is a great little plugin that after I watched the video bought in an instant. If it could save me to record tambourine just ONCE it will be money well spent!

Jack Weaver

Re: Skaka

Post by Jack Weaver »

Looks good.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I found it quite hard to get a sense of the variety of sounds. There seems little in the video demos, but the audio demos have a bit more. This vintage tambourine sounds good:

...but I did find a bit of a lack of variety going through the rest. When I have a bit of time I'll try the demo, the price and functionality is certainly very appealing.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I wonder how this would improve on Stylus’s “Groove Elements” in practical terms.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Lawrence wrote: Oct 13, 2020 10:10 pm I wonder how this would improve on Stylus’s “Groove Elements” in practical terms.
Funny you should mention Stylus. Skaka clearly is leagues away in terms of bespoke customisation, but there's a reason why I keep turning to RMX - the sound is fantastic. Also its usually a cinch to manipulate it to get the same feel as the track I'm working on. I got the first Shimmer and Shake for some reason and never touched it, it sounded so anaemic. The redo sounded much better, but for me the damage was done.

I probably over-rely on RMX for this chore, but it does consistently deliver.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Stylus RMX is simply a fantastic tool that younger people don’t seem to know about. I did a demo for a friend from the hip hop studio I used to share space with and his eyes bugged out at the many ways of working with it. Eric’s little update some years back made groove customization a pleasure.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Agreed, Larry - the groove lock and Time Designer are simply amazing. Cutting up loops really shouldn't work so well, but they seem to retain their magic often when they are tweaked.

Obviously the core library is extremely dated for many purposes (not to mention aspects of the UI), but its amazing how much is still highly useable, as this thread shows.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Lawrence wrote: Oct 14, 2020 5:03 am Stylus RMX is simply a fantastic tool that younger people don’t seem to know about. I did a demo for a friend from the hip hop studio I used to share space with and his eyes bugged out at the many ways of working with it. Eric’s little update some years back made groove customization a pleasure.
Yep. I still use it for these kind of things although the Logic Drummer now has two percussionists. Latin and Pop , that are really useful.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Ok, so just given this a quick demo. I like the UI and the basic programming, and for £25 it is very well prices. BUT - really surprised that the 8 basic instrument sounds is basically it, with only basic pitch and duration controls. It feels like the prototype before it becomes a fully fledged product. What I'd expect to do is get a basic groove going, and then start swapping out a dozen tambourines to find the one that sits best in the particular track.

So I think I'll hold fire for now and see how this one develops.