There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Orchestral Tools: Modus by Jeff Russo

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Orchestral Tools: Modus by Jeff Russo

Post by Guy Rowland »

It's a transitions and textures library:

The Transitions video on the website gives a better idea of how flexible it is in use, but at the moment I can't seem to link to it directly nor find it on YouTube.

It sounds lovely - and huge. My two main reservations are how necessary it is - hey, I like writing transitions. The second is that I'd have preferred a smaller section size I think. Everything seems to be geared towards huge, whereas a lot of potential applications - especially comedy - suit a smaller size in a more intimate environment. This locks you in to big.

I've been shouting into the void for a while about how amazing Jeff Russo's work is on Fargo. This feels more generic than that, perhaps not surprising.

https://www.orchestraltools.com/store/c ... -jeffrusso

Muziksculp

Re: Orchestral Tools: Modus by Jeff Russo

Post by Muziksculp »

Seems like this is quite a useful library from OT, although I don't really need it at this time.

I might get some of the instruments a-la-carte in the future. Actually, I'm really looking forward to see OT offer their Berlin line of libraries in SINE format before the end of this year. Hopefully they can make it happen.

lofi

Post by lofi »

Ooo, I'd die for that library asap.
Have two series that would be so much easier to finalize with this.
Now I have to program , commit and then edit the wavs to get similar results.

12 days...
Can't wait.

/Anders

IFM

Post by IFM »

The intro price is pretty compelling...might get this.

Tobias Escher

Post by Tobias Escher »

I am obviously very biased, but I consider it to be one of OT's finest collections. It has a clear direction, all patches are super playable and directly usable with very little programming and it (like Anders said) does a lot of things with one key that would take a lot of time to make "conventionally". I particularly like the transition. That stuff takes AGES to program.

I know not everyone is as big of a fan of SINE as I am, but it being on SINE means I can just plop it in any project and it will work fine without worry that a single patch will eat my CPU or RAM. Your mileage may vary and if it does, let me know, then I can investigate :)

Anyway... using that collection on a project right now, so if anyone has questions, fire away.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Tobias Escher wrote: Oct 17, 2020 11:06 am I am obviously very biased, but I consider it to be one of OT's finest collections. It has a clear direction, all patches are super playable and directly usable with very little programming and it (like Anders said) does a lot of things with one key that would take a lot of time to make "conventionally". I particularly like the transition. That stuff takes AGES to program.

I know not everyone is as big of a fan of SINE as I am, but it being on SINE means I can just plop it in any project and it will work fine without worry that a single patch will eat my CPU or RAM. Your mileage may vary and if it does, let me know, then I can investigate :)

Anyway... using that collection on a project right now, so if anyone has questions, fire away.

I certainly have no problem with it for others, but for me, I am just not a fan of "one key" composing.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Ashermusic wrote: Oct 17, 2020 2:10 pm
Tobias Escher wrote: Oct 17, 2020 11:06 am I am obviously very biased, but I consider it to be one of OT's finest collections. It has a clear direction, all patches are super playable and directly usable with very little programming and it (like Anders said) does a lot of things with one key that would take a lot of time to make "conventionally". I particularly like the transition. That stuff takes AGES to program.

I certainly have no problem with it for others, but for me, I am just not a fan of "one key" composing.
Jay, do you ever use pre-recorded runs?
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Yes I do, but usually mixed in with my own, just to give it sweep.

Anyway, there is in my view a a line where for me it ceases to be composing and becomes assembly. But I would never impose that on anyone else.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Tanuj Tiku

Post by Tanuj Tiku »

I like the SiNE player - it’s just been a bit unstable sometimes.

I think it’s better than Kontakt over all for their libraries.

Also, these are not one-finger libraries. They are doing something that is impossible to do with standard libraries and I don’t think it makes anyone less of a musician to use them.

However, sometimes you want to develop the sound further over a scene and that’s where they can become one-trick ponies - you can’t go beyond what’s there but it’s interesting to mix and match.

I just got Time Micro (very nice) and it’s already been super useful for a cue I am working on.

Tanuj Tiku

Post by Tanuj Tiku »

Modus looks good - I will explore the videos in more detail soon!

Tobias Escher

Post by Tobias Escher »

@Jay: as I wrote, Modus is exactly NOT that kind of collection. It is not loops or phrases, on the contrary. the transitions I mentioned are just notes from one articulation to another. So for example Arco to Tremolo. At least with my limited mockup skills that is hellishly time-consuming to program manually. Here I just press one note and it morphs that note from Arco to Tremolo or back.
I suggest you watch the videos and you'll see there are no loops or phrases at all.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Tobias Escher wrote: Oct 17, 2020 3:27 pm @Jay: as I wrote, Modus is exactly NOT that kind of collection. It is not loops or phrases, on the contrary. the transitions I mentioned are just notes from one articulation to another. So for example Arco to Tremolo. At least with my limited mockup skills that is hellishly time-consuming to program manually. Here I just press one note and it morphs that note from Arco to Tremolo or back.
I suggest you watch the videos and you'll see there are no loops or phrases at all.
Ok I will

www.jayasher.com

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

It seems somehow appropriate that it's a developed for Star Trek library that has me seriously considering buying a SINE product that only a future version of myself can use (natively within Pro Tools, that is).

Perhaps before the preorder ends, I'll try out the free version of SINE with the VST wrapper of my choice—Blue Cat Audio Patchwork—and see how it fares...

Best,

Geoff

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

OK, I did as suggested Tobias, and everything you said is true. Not for me though, because nobody is hiring me to create under a tight deadline where I need that kind of tool, nor am I working generally in genres that need that kind of sound. Finally, and at my age this is priority, I don't thing I would enjoy using it.

But if I got an unexpected pleasant surprise in a job assignment, I would certainly consider it because it is clearly well executed.

www.jayasher.com

playz123

Post by playz123 »

These days, one of the key factors for me to consider, when deciding if I wish to purchase a new library, is if the library is inspirational. In addition, does it provide something new, something I might use and is it good value for the money? I haven't made a decision yet about this one, but it does seem to be of interest so I will watch the new walkthrough. One concern is how well it might fit with other libraries I own, because I can't see myself using it strictly on its own on a regular basis when composing the types of music I like. It seems to do what it does very well, but how well, for example, does it blend in with my Spitfire collection? Guess I wouldn't know until I tried, but wish I knew that before spending over $300 CAN to pre-order.
Frank E. Lancaster

Tobias Escher

Post by Tobias Escher »

Again, heavily biased... but Modus is recorded at a slightly more dry studio. I've found the sound to react very well to additional reverb. I don't use a lot of Spitfire instruments, but from the little I know about them, I think Modus should blend fairly well. The instruments have their own character, but they still sound quite a lot like how you would "generally" record these instruments/sections, so there shouldn't be a big "sound break" compared to other similar instruments/sections.
Not sure if I'm making sense, but essentially I think Modus' strings will not sound too dissimilar to other strings, just with the very special articulations that it has...

PS: just for full clarification... while I work at OT, I am not involved with the concepts and recordings. I so essentially use all these collections like any other user. Only of course I have them months before everyone else. So I know more about them than "normal" users, but I use them like anyone else.

playz123

Post by playz123 »

Tobias Escher wrote: Oct 20, 2020 4:08 am Again, heavily biased... but Modus is recorded at a slightly more dry studio. I've found the sound to react very well to additional reverb. I don't use a lot of Spitfire instruments, but from the little I know about them, I think Modus should blend fairly well. The instruments have their own character, but they still sound quite a lot like how you would "generally" record these instruments/sections, so there shouldn't be a big "sound break" compared to other similar instruments/sections.
Not sure if I'm making sense, but essentially I think Modus' strings will not sound too dissimilar to other strings, just with the very special articulations that it has...

PS: just for full clarification... while I work at OT, I am not involved with the concepts and recordings. I so essentially use all these collections like any other user. Only of course I have them months before everyone else. So I know more about them than "normal" users, but I use them like anyone else.
Thanks, Tobias. As always your input is greatly appreciated, and that information is very helpful. I like the idea that the recordings are slightly drier than some other libraries, meaning it makes adding additional reverb if required easier for me than trying to reduce the effect. Based on your input and what I’ve heard and seen in the walkthrough, I now feel more drawn towards purchasing. Cheers!
Frank E. Lancaster

Scoredog

Post by Scoredog »

As a user of both products (I have a lot as you can imagine) I have found them easy to blend and do it often.

playz123

Post by playz123 »

Scoredog wrote: Oct 20, 2020 10:47 am As a user of both products (I have a lot as you can imagine) I have found them easy to blend and do it often.
Thanks, Craig! Very helpful.
Frank E. Lancaster

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Geoff Grace wrote: Oct 18, 2020 2:45 am Perhaps before the preorder ends, I'll try out the free version of SINE with the VST wrapper of my choice—Blue Cat Audio Patchwork—and see how it fares...
...And, good news, it works without a hitch.

Best,

Geoff