There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Straight Ahead upright for $22

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Lawrence

Straight Ahead upright for $22

Post by Lawrence »

For that price, an easy decision for me :

https://straightaheadsamples.activehost ... 0fccc02316
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

kpc

Re: Straight Ahead upright for $22

Post by kpc »

I was thinking the same when I got the email last night. I know Piet really likes this bass. Think a new version is in the works?
- kayle

Topic author
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

No idea.

I have SAJD (jazz drums) and really like them, though their initial release was flawed. Once fixed, they became a go to.

Piet (i believe) prefers the Premiere bass which I have and like, but I figured for 22 bucks, one more option would be worthwhile. I use the Trilian upright as well.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Larry's right, Kayle: I'm *not* a fan of the Straight Ahead bass. (I much prefer the Premier.) But that's just my personal opinion. Shouldn't stop anyone from enjoying a virtual bass that, as I gather (but do not understand), most everybody else seems to be very enthusiastic about. And there's no arguing with $22, is there?

_

kpc

Post by kpc »

Ahhh, yes. Sorry. I mixed the two up.
- kayle

Topic author
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Trying it out solo, I think it's pretty good-worth the $22. The key will be how it sounds in a track, though.

L.J. Nachsin

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

I sometimes fall into the trap of, “well at this price, how can I not” without first asking myself are you unhappy with what you have for what you are trying to do in reality, not in the abstract.

And the answer is I have enough good sampled upright basses., so $22 or $222, I will pass.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Topic author
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

How about if it was free?

L.J. Nachsin

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Lawrence wrote: Oct 27, 2020 9:28 am How about if it was free?
Free is free, just disk space. Although VSL gave me some Big Bang and Syncornized stuff that I have since deleted, because I just know that’s I won’t be using them..
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Topic author
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Very rare that I delete anything though I made an exception for EWHO Silver winds. ;)

L.J. Nachsin

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Lawrence wrote: Oct 27, 2020 10:17 am Very rare that I delete anything though I made an exception for EWHO Silver winds. ;)
My guess is that with most of us, if we deleted 50% of what we have and really did a deep dive on what remains, we would create better sounding music.

www.jayasher.com

Topic author
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Disagree about the deletions, totally agree about the deep dive. I never fully learn the libraries I have.

L.J. Nachsin

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Lawrence wrote: Oct 27, 2020 10:26 am Disagree about the deletions, totally agree about the deep dive. I never fully learn the libraries I have.
But maybe you would if you had fewer choices, out of necessity?

www.jayasher.com

Topic author
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Mebbe!

L.J. Nachsin

kpc

Post by kpc »

Ashermusic wrote: Oct 27, 2020 10:23 am
Lawrence wrote: Oct 27, 2020 10:17 am Very rare that I delete anything though I made an exception for EWHO Silver winds. ;)
My guess is that with most of us, if we deleted 50% of what we have and really did a deep dive on what remains, we would create better sounding music.
This. This is what I’m committed to until Nov 1.
- kayle

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Lawrence wrote: Oct 27, 2020 9:28 am How about if it was free?
A long time ago, in a place all over, there were tons of free libraries (first for GS, later for Kontakt). I collected them, and they filled my disc. And the reality is I never really used most of them. There were some stand-outs, the whole G-Town project, some of the early libraries from Project Sam, and probably a couple others. But mostly, they just took up disc space, and added confusion when I went hunting.

So I have removed almost all of them - I did not delete them, they still exist on a backup drive or two, but I decided I have too many options already.

Even with the commercial stuff!

Yes, I do think I need at least 2 or 3 libraries for each family in the orchestra, and I have remained pretty well behaved on that front. But do I really need the Albions AND the Symphobias AND the Metropolis Arks? Very different sounds, and somewhat different approaches, but do I need them all? Probably not. But figuring out which to ditch turned out to be difficult, so they got a reprieve.

Which is wandering a bit - I think we were talking about the upright bass???

I have the Premier Bass, the Seyer Bass (on my aging, but still kicking GS machine), and Trillian. Trillian by itself covers a LOT of sonic turf. And I really do try to steer clear of the Seyer, except I love how it plays, and sounds.

I think the demos of the Straight-Ahead bass sound great. I just don't think I need yet another bass library when my goal is to shrink the collection, not grow it. So yeah, it is tempting at $22, but I think I too shall pass. Which is unfortunate, I think the folks at Straight Ahead Sound do a really good job.

Topic author
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I’m ok with being a sole and shameless collector of $22 libraries😉

I didn’t “need” it, but for the price I was willing to take a flyer. You have to buy a lot of disappointing $22 libraries to equal one disappointing $300 library-and I have a few of those.

L.J. Nachsin

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I took a quick listen to the demo and it did sound like an old school sampled upright to me, nothing special. Between Trillian and BBB, I'm pretty happy... I can resist the lure of $22. I have so many products that are good that I usually forget I have, I really don't need another.

JohannesR

Post by JohannesR »

Bought it, and it took me about 30 seconds to regret the purchase. Weird convoluted approach to sampling, and it didn’t sound good either.