There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Modartt / Pianoteq v7

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Modartt / Pianoteq v7

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Modartt has released v7 of the Pianoteq software which includes, among many other improvements, acoustic morphing and layering, both expanding the possibilities of the software by an incalculable amount. Here you can find more details of the new features.

_

tack

Re: Modartt / Pianoteq v7

Post by tack »

Just upgraded. You know, the new NY Steinway D is pretty good. Apart from the Bluethner, it could be the only other model I get along with (especially with a good reverb). Looking forward to playing more with it tonight.

Not completely devoid of the usual Pianoteq "plastic" criticism but it feels like with each new release they get closer and closer. Clearly we've been in diminishing returns territory for a while now, and it just underlines how complex acoustically real instruments are, and how good the human ear is at detecting facsimiles. But I think in 10 years, with this rate of incremental progress, we just might conclusively push out of the gravity well of uncanny valley.
- Jason

Joe_D

Post by Joe_D »

Upgraded--glad to have the new features.

Who else knew it was Piet's music in the second video within about two seconds? :)

Great job, Piet!

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Thanks, Joe!
Here's the complete version of that track: “Room 251”. (The video version cuts off just as the fade-out begins and I rather like that fade-out.)

_

marclawsonmusic

Post by marclawsonmusic »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Nov 11, 2020 2:34 am Here's the complete version of that track: “Room 251”. (The video version cuts off just as the fade-out begins and I rather like that fade-out.)
Grooves hard, Piet. Nice!

The drums were in a killer pocket. You really caught some energy there! Reminds me of my days playing in the blues bars (ex-drummer here - feeling a bit of nostalgia writing this, actually). There were a couple of points where I wanted the drums to lay back more in the pocket (mostly during the 'time keeping' moments - e.g. 1:00), but, damn... there was so much nuance in the drum performance - the cymbal work especially.. I mean, 8ths on the hi-hat pedal while playing ride cymbal accents? Either you are a drummer or have really spent time learning how we play. I just sat there (at the bar), bobbing my head, wanting to meet the drummer after the gig.

I didn't think once about the piano.

And isn't that the point? I just enjoyed a nice moment at the blues jam downtown. No comment on the piano - just enjoyed the (live-sounding) blues music.

Thank you for sharing

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Thanks, Marc!
A bluesy jam downtown .. that's exactly what I was aiming for.

__

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

tack wrote: Nov 10, 2020 2:44 pmand it just underlines how complex acoustically real instruments are, and how good the human ear is at detecting facsimiles.
Actually I kinda feel their physical model might be as good as it gets now. What's missing is probably a more detailed emulation of the rest of the recording chain - the room, the position of piano in the room (already there partially for the upright), mics, and anything that comes after that.

It's becoming harder and harder for me to find audible flaws that I'd characterize as "uncanny valley" in Pianoteq... It's just a piano, and a damn great one. No sample library evokes this level of enjoyment while playing for me.
Kontakt is love, Kontakt is life!

Markus K

Post by Markus K »

I tried the demos of the vibes, steel drums, celeste and harp. Is it possible that these sound significantly better than in previous versions? I haven't been very impressed when I got pianotec. I think it was version 5. But now I liked what I heard pretty much. I'm not sure if it's just a matter of being in the right mood or there is a real difference. How would you rate these?