There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Cubase 11 released

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Cubase 11 released

Post by Guy Rowland »

https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/new-fe ... 1571156481

Here's the new features:

Advanced Audio Export
Save time with new export queues.

Sampler Track 2
New creative features including slicing, LFOs and legato glide.

Scale Assistant
Follow, quantize and play live to a set scale.

Advanced Key Editor
Create perfect pitch bends and more.

Global Tracks
Stay in sync more easily.

Frequency 2
Amazingly precise dynamic EQ for better mixing.

Squasher
Improve leads, tame bass and enhance reverb for EDM.

Score Editor
Workflow improvements and beautiful new fonts.

New Samples
Six fresh, exclusive sound and loop sets.

SuperVision
Super-flexible, customizable metering.

Imager
Multiband stereo placement for perfect panning.

MultiTap Delay Surround Support
Delay in up to 5.1 surround sound.

Windows 10 Variable DPI
More scaling settings.

Cubase Artists/Elements Upgrades
More bang for fewer bucks. (nb - Elements now has side-chaining thank gawd)

Multiple Side-Chain
Improved input architecture.

Eucon Support
Latest Avid console compatibility.

VST Connect SE 5
Resizable HiDPI-ready interface for remote recording solutions.

Workflow and UI Improvements
Refinements to make your working life easier.

Apple Metal Acceleration
Enjoy maximum Mac performance.

SpectraLayers One
Remarkable visual editing and audio source separation.

kpc

Re: Cubase 11 released

Post by kpc »

Really like the added Audio Export features. Reaper has a similar system, though this seems a bit more powerful? Really hoping Logic will implement something like this. I wonder, can you do alt mixes or just stems? So if you want a mix without drums, and a mix with just bass and drums...., will this do that? From the video, seems like it handles either the full mix or individual tracks (at one point, he is exporting hundreds of tracks). The update feature is nice.

Have you upgraded Guy? Be curious to hear your thoughts.
- kayle

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I've been on the beta, Kayle. Yes, you have it right - you can select the mix or any number of individual tracks or groups. So if your routing supports it, you can do it. The biggest drawback is you can't select folders (yet), that would be the dream for me.

kpc

Post by kpc »

So, if I have all my tracks grouped (say drums group, keys group, winds, strings.....) Can you then tell it to bounce a mix of the entire piece with just the drum group and the bass group and it will give you one stereo track?

What's you favorite new feature - or fixed/improved area?
- kayle

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

kpc wrote: Nov 11, 2020 7:57 am So, if I have all my tracks grouped (say drums group, keys group, winds, strings.....) Can you then tell it to bounce a mix of the entire piece with just the drum group and the bass group and it will give you one stereo track?

What's you favorite new feature - or fixed/improved area?
Yes, you can. You have Single and Multiple modes, and a Batch export option. So if you select Single file mode, then create two batch jobs for your two stems, that will work.

To be honest for me it's a relaitvely light release for the features I use. The export options are probably top of the list, and its handy to have a tempo track in the key editor. The point of the scale assistant in the key editor completely eludes me, however.

scherzo

Post by scherzo »

Guy Rowland wrote: Nov 11, 2020 8:27 am The point of the scale assistant in the key editor completely eludes me, however.
Aww, but it said right in the video - it is now guaranteed that you will never have a wrong note in your arrangement ever again! Doesn't that sound wonderful? ;)

Any comments on the new CC curve system? The demo videos barely showed it in action. That and the spectral stuff is about the only things here that might be interesting for me. Bit disappointed, really.

I do wish DAW-makers would spend less time on plugins and effects. I like a good multiband or dynamic EQ as much as the next guy, but I already have that covered from 3rd parties. Would rather they focused on things I can't replace myself.

kpc

Post by kpc »

The queue thing is a big one in my mind. Even if I have to manually adjust/make the alt mixes and stems and such, queuing them up is huge.

Imagine you are working on 3 or 4 project throughout the day. You queue up various mixes and stems as you go along - no need to wait for them to render. At the end of the day, you call up the queue manager and render them all out while you go to dinner.

Reaper does this even on a project basis - so it will open and close projects as needed to render out the files. Now take that a step further and have Keyboard Maestro watch a folder (because Reaper can save each to different locations) for new MP3s and send them off for client approval - all while you enjoy a coffee and dinner.

Do you ever use a chord track? Seems like it might be handy, but I'm not sure how much use I would get from it. Do you have to manually enter the chords in? Seems quicker to do it on paper when you are charting out the cue.
- kayle

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I’m wondering if the Metal optimization will provide any Mac optimization other than graphics.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

scherzo

Post by scherzo »

Oh yes, the export stuff looks nice too. Probably not as useful for me personally, since I'm an amateur who doesn't need to actually deliver anything ;) of course, Reaper has had this for a long time. Ditto CC curves. Curious how Steinberg's implementation compares.

I've only dabbled a bit with the chord track, but never found a good use for it. Thought it might be useful for sketching out progressions or writing out changes just as a reminder to myself, but found the data entry a little too slow and tedious to be worth it. I think it can extract chords from a midi performance, but I forget how well it works. I was momentarily excited when I realized you can use it to create 'proper' enharmonic spelling in the key editor, but that didn't work well for me either for various reasons. Some swear by it because it can suggest chords to you, which might lead you down new creative paths you might not have thought of otherwise - and fair enough, I suppose, although I'd rather just feel my way around the piano manually. Mileage may vary - it's probably worth at least tinkering with for a bit to see how you like it.

Having easy access to it from within the key editor, which is my natural habitat anyway, probably does increase its potential usefulness. Still not sure it's all a $100 useful though.

Normally I like to live dangerously and leap head-first into updates the moment they appear, like a fool. This is one of the few times that I hesitate. Hmm.

ok_tan

Post by ok_tan »

i hesitate too. 10.5 is rock solid and does everything i need it to do...and 11 doesnt bring stuff that is very useful for me.
thx! theo

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I definitely hear you that it's a bit of a treading-water release. For many of us, it's the export that will provide a good workflow boost (and I think you can save it as a preset, so if you are using the same mixer template it really will speed things up). Spectralayers was a surprise to me, must check that out (though its a stripped down version). Since I have RX I don't really need it, but if the quality of the vocal isolation is better than RX8 it could find its place here.

IFM

Post by IFM »

Lawrence wrote: Nov 11, 2020 11:24 am I’m wondering if the Metal optimization will provide any Mac optimization other than graphics.
Could be my imagination but so far it does seem to have made improvements to the overall performance. I’m able to drop my buffer to 128 and get good results where as before 256 was needed. Graphics are much smoother.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Excellent. What computer specs, please?
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Pablo Crespo

Post by Pablo Crespo »

Do anybody uses cubase with a 4k screen? I think they still can´t deliver good hdpi options in windows!

I used windows with 125% scaling and C10 overriding it to 100% to use more screen real state. C11 doesn´t seem to override and everything looks big a blurry. I don´t know if I am doing something wrong or they keep messing up
Pablo Crespo
Argentina

Arcana

Post by Arcana »

This looks like a killer upgrade to me.

If export can handle stems with included sends, which seems to be the case, that will save me a lot of time.
MIDI bezier curves along with snapping to semi tones for pitch bend is really handy as well.

Just a simple thing like you can now double click to remove a note in the MIDI is a huge thing. I've been so jealous of FL studio users til now. Hitting 'delete' to remove a note is such a productivity killer, so I'm happy that's finally implemented.

Spectral layers 1 will benefit me greatly. It's very often I get a reference track, where the vocal just gets in the way. But now, I can just remove them.

The new squasher looks like OTT's bigger brother. Very cool feature.
The imager, being multi band, looks like it will be a step up from the imagers I normally use.
So all in all.... I'm very happy with this upgrade..... haven't tried it yet though.

IFM

Post by IFM »

Lawrence wrote: Nov 11, 2020 10:21 pm Excellent. What computer specs, please?
MacPro 6,1 12 core, 64gig RAM.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Interesting-I wonder which is more powerful. Mine in an iMac i9, 8 core@3.6ghz, 128 gb RAM.

L.J. Nachsin

IFM

Post by IFM »

Lawrence wrote: Nov 12, 2020 10:25 am Interesting-I wonder which is more powerful. Mine in an iMac i9, 8 core@3.6ghz, 128 gb RAM.
I would think we could get similar track counts, but other internals would be a factor I'm sure. That being said since Cubase isn't my main DAW I just like to keep it up to date since I have some projects in there. As I mentioned in another thread it is a little of a shiny object syndrome that keeps me hanging on to it and it has come a long way.

It's definitely making me look at using it again on some projects, but I do wish I could just select a note and tell it what articulation to play like in LPX instead of having to select it with the pencil.

Valerie Delaney

Post by Valerie Delaney »

Thank you Guy for sharing this.

Yasin Yavuz

Post by Yasin Yavuz »

I'm still on version 10. I wonder if we can add new scales to scale assistant, anybody knows?

scherzo

Post by scherzo »

Well... after heroically holding off for a few days - let's pretend this was due to self-control and had nothing to do with the eLicenser server trouble or the upgrade being temporarily pulled from the store - I eventually caved and upgraded.

So far I'm quite pleased with it actually. Running perfectly stable, haven't noticed any new bugs or problems. In fact, a few ancient glitches seem to be gone - I no longer get dropped notes or stuck articulations with my expression-mapped instruments. The new visualization suite is pretty good, and the CC curves are well done and already being used regularly. The new export stuff is great. One thing I had completely overlooked is how useful it is to have quick and easy access to the tempo track from within the key editor. Getting a good fluid tempo is, I find, one of the trickiest parts of making noise inside a computer, and this - combined with good old time warp - makes it a lot easier.
cubase screen shot.png
I should perhaps apologize to the scale assistant for poking fun at it earlier. While I am somewhat annoyed that these scale/chord features are always being marketed as "now you can make teh great muzak without having to actually lurn anything lolz!!", there are times when something like that is useful. Making diatonic transpositions, inputting runs/glisses, creating harmony parts in parallell 3rds/6ths or what have you. Not an everyday feature for me, but now that it's there I'm finding occasional use for it.

(And yes, you can indeed make your own scales :))

So... me + Cubase = BFFs again at last? Says I, hesitatingly out of fear of jinxing it, as me and Steinberg ride off into the sunset, accompanied by soothing music blissfully free of wrong notes because scale assistant. Fade to black, cue end credits.