There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Orchestral Tools / Tallin (Estonian voices and strings)

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Orchestral Tools / Tallin (Estonian voices and strings)

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Orchestral Tools' Tallinn

"The evocative sound of a unique music culture, bridging a thousand years from the ancient to the contemporary. Tallinn features the world-famous Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir and Tallinn Chamber Orchestra plus two organs—all recorded in the iconic Niguliste church. With a pure, wintry, ‘Nordic’ sound, Tallinn is equally well suited to early music as to contemporary minimalism and avant garde, adding distinctive textures to dramatic scores, underscoring, and any other expressive compositions."

- Full male and female choirs, 4 singers per section
- Chamber string ensemble: 5 violins, 4 violas, 3 celli, 2 basses
- Two detailed church organs
- Melodic legato for fluid performances
- Evolving ‘dynamic wave’ sustains and textures
- Recorded at Niguliste (St. Nicholas’ Church) with multiple mic positions

Pre-order price (the library will be available in a week or two): 249,00€. Regular price : 399,00€

_

Muziksculp

Re: Orchestral Tools / Tallin (Estonian voices and strings)

Post by Muziksculp »

Just the type of Choirs I like to use.

It's also wonderful they decided to include a chamber strings, and organ with the Choirs.

Preordered !

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Dammit, this sounds really good. DAMMIT!

Wasn't there another recent Eastern European library from OT or is my senility getting out of control?

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

lofi

Post by lofi »

Guy Rowland wrote: Apr 21, 2021 1:17 pm Dammit, this sounds really good. DAMMIT!

Wasn't there another recent Eastern European library from OT or is my senility getting out of control?
Are the music from the library or a recording of the orchestra?
Does anyone know?
Only asking because the audio demos doesn't really sound like the trailer.

/Anders

tack

Post by tack »

lofi wrote: Apr 22, 2021 8:27 amAre the music from the library or a recording of the orchestra?
I didn't see any indication from the trailer that these weren't recordings of live performances. All the video content was from recording sessions, and none of the usual "hah look we fooled you" cutaway to a DAW. It certainly sounded excellent, but that's rather disingenuous for sample library trailer IMO.
- Jason

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I'd be VERY unpleasantly surprised if this were the case. Are you around Tobias, can you shed any light?

The sound isn't so different from the individual instruments to me.

lofi

Post by lofi »

@Jason
Right, that would make sense.
The orchestra does sound lovely.

@Guy
If I’m not totally “out riding the bike”, as we say, or wrong as the rest of the world would say. It’s Sascha Knorrs music in the trailer. You can find a similar tune by him amongst the audio demos.

I also realise there’s no “music made with the library disclaimer” on the trailer and one could argue that the trailer tells the story of the orchestra and not the sample library.

Not picking a fight here, just trying to understand what the trailer actually is.

Best,
/Anders

Tobias Escher

Post by Tobias Escher »

of course the Tallinn trailer is 100% sampled. It is not live, we would never do that without explicitely stating it.

tack

Post by tack »

Tobias Escher wrote: Apr 22, 2021 11:00 am of course the Tallinn trailer is 100% sampled. It is not live, we would never do that without explicitely stating it.
This is great to hear, Tobias. I really think that should be made clearer in the video itself. For this one, at least updating the Youtube description might avoid confusion from other potential customers.

It really does sound excellent.
- Jason

Tobias Escher

Post by Tobias Escher »

I don't think we have to put a disclaimer in the video "we are not deceitful lying douchebags that defraud customers just to make sales". It should be a thing of honour not to do that. But I guess you're right... not everyone sees it that way :)

tack

Post by tack »

Tobias Escher wrote: Apr 22, 2021 11:07 am But I guess you're right... not everyone sees it that way :)
That would only have been lying douchebaggery if there was any statement or implication that we were hearing samples but actually weren't. All the visuals in the video implied we were hearing real performances. When you see performers on a stage that exactly tracks the music you hear, I really must argue that this is the implication. The usual trick here is the intentional bait-and-switch where only later it is revealed that you were hearing samples the whole time. I was waiting for that, and when it never happened, I don't feel I was particularly unreasonable in having been left wondering whether what I was hearing was live or Memorex.

When the samples suck that's probably not necessary, but here, at least after the first listen, it wasn't clear. Ultimately you should consider this confusion to be a compliment on the product and demo. :)

For future videos, even splicing in a screen capture of a DAW running through playback, even briefly, is enough to convey this message while not being too garish and tainting the video's overall aesthetic.
- Jason

Tobias Escher

Post by Tobias Escher »

Well, if I see a video about a sample library, I expect all audio to be that one product only. Other of course than sounds clearly not from it, like voiceover, or effects.

But yeah - it is testament to how good the mockup is :)

tack

Post by tack »

Tobias, is there a walkthrough video planned before the pre-order period ends on May 4?
- Jason

Tobias Escher

Post by Tobias Escher »

Yes, we're hard at work on the walkthough! I'm afraid I don't have a date, but we're making due haste :)

lofi

Post by lofi »

Tobias Escher wrote: Apr 22, 2021 12:40 pm Well, if I see a video about a sample library, I expect all audio to be that one product only. Other of course than sounds clearly not from it, like voiceover, or effects.

But yeah - it is testament to how good the mockup is :)
Great to hear, I actually missed the SINE logo at the beginning of the video... my bad.
Again, really great sounds in the video.

/Anders

lofi

Post by lofi »

Tobias Escher wrote: Apr 22, 2021 3:20 pm Yes, we're hard at work on the walkthough! I'm afraid I don't have a date, but we're making due haste :)
And please do work on making Sine AAX compatible.
I'd be happy to beta test it :)

/Anders

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

tack

Post by tack »

Official walkthough is up:

Just wonderful sounding stuff.
- Jason

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Anyone notice that he plays some of the string legato patches polyphonically, could they have added Polyphonic Legato feature to the SINE player, which will be released when this library is released on May 5th ? or am I imagining things.

The current Legato in SINE is monophonic. So, it would have not been possible to play multiple notes in legato style as he demonstrates in the video. around 7:45 mins. the soft sustain strings, playing chords while legato is enabled.

Tobias Escher

Post by Tobias Escher »

No, he is playing Sustains Soft without legato.
Note that the Articulation Options on the low right always correcpond to the articulation with the dot in front of it.
So he is playing Sus Soft, but it shows the settings for Sustains + LEG.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Tobias Escher wrote: Apr 27, 2021 4:53 am No, he is playing Sustains Soft without legato.
Note that the Articulation Options on the low right always correcpond to the articulation with the dot in front of it.
So he is playing Sus Soft, but it shows the settings for Sustains + LEG.
OH.. Yes, that's true.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tobias,

Do you have any idea when the next SINE update will be released, that fixes the Mic-Merge feature, and possibly more fixes, and improvements to Berlin Symph. Strings ? I love the sound of Berlin Symph. Strings, :thumbsup: I'm also looking forward to see Berlin Strings released in SINE format.

Thanks.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »