There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

ISW Tokyo Scoring Strings

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

It won’t be out for another few months, but there’s another strings library on its way and, based on the first examples, it could well be something special. A little premature to say such things at this stage of course, but there’s definitely something in the timbre of these strings, something I like, which I haven’t heard in any other library. The very thing, in fact, which I never heard in the Synchron Elites. I only hope that the library doesn't sound as room-y as it does in the lovely Jeff Ball demo. Good strings sound, I find, but a bit too much room around it.

Anyway, here’s how Andrew (from ISW) announced the library a while ago:

"Our goal with Tokyo Scoring Strings is to give you the orchestral string sound that has been heard across innumerable world-famous Japanese productions. It features five independently recorded sections (Violins 1, Violins 2, Viola, Cello, Bass) in a typical Japanese ensemble size (8/6/4/4/3) suitable for small and large productions alike.

Tokyo Studio Strings will include a well-rounded set of core articulations captured at 24/96 with superb detail. You'll be able to write and mock-up a wide variety of parts from slow & intimate to aggressive & agile, with a particular focus on excellent legato and short notes. To help record even more authentic performances over the 90+ hours of sessions, we developed some new sampling techniques specifically for this library based on our 11 years of experience. The results should speak for themselves!

To give you maximum mix flexibility, the ensemble was captured with over a dozen mics, which have been mixed down to five stereo positions: Close, Decca, Side, Back, and Surround. We’ve also included a Board Mix which features Mr. Aizawa’s own console mix, and is an excellent, efficient way to get that authentic sound instantly.

The library will ship with our latest Console FX rack & mixer too, with built-in snapshots to give you a wide range of pre-mixed tones!

Tokyo Scoring Strings will feature a new Kontakt Player-based engine built from our “Agility” script (see our Ventus libraries to get an idea of what to expect). That means you’ll have poly legato, microtuning, scale locking, and multi-part harmony generation out of the box! But there’s much more in store here to help you get great results fast. For example, you’ll be able to use two modes of playing: “real-time” with low-latency, and “lookahead,” which adds a slight latency in exchange for more realistic and idiomatic playback.

You'll also be able to suit TSS to your workflow via our latest iteration of TACT (Total Articulation Control Technology) supporting totally custom articulation mapping using any combination of velocity, keyswitch, MIDI CC, note range, pedal, or even multiple rules at once.
"

Release is set for late October, early November and the the price might be somewhere around $349 (intro) and $399 (regular)

_

playz123

Re: Incoming / ISW Tokyo Scoring Strings

Post by playz123 »

The beginning of the Tangledeep demo strongly reminds me of a piece by Ryuichi Sakamoto, so yes that Tokyo sound is somewhat familiar. As much as it first appears to be a worthwhile purchase, the question remains....do I really need another string library? Time will tell I guess.
Frank E. Lancaster

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Good pricing-should be interesting.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Hi,

Listen to this latest demo of TSS.

I already Pre-Ordered the library, It sounds amazing. 😎👍🧡

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Aug 12, 2021 4:00 amI only hope that the library doesn't sound as room-y as it does in the lovely Jeff Ball demo. Good strings sound, I find, but a bit too much room around it.
That's how it sounds really, that's the Japanese strings sound - the whole point of the library. Small room and smaller ensemble, ends up with quite a lot of early reflections. And then they add Bricasti M7 in post (this is going to be the Board mix samples in TSS).
Kontakt is love, Kontakt is life!

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Informative new video from Andrew:

_

Linos

Post by Linos »

Impressive. A library with a clear concept that seems to have been produced with the necessary passion and care. It looks like a strong contender if you need a dry studio strings sound. Not a sound I need currently. But it is very well made. I like it better than the Synchron Elite or VSL Dimension Strings timbre. Yet I have a few question marks about how it takes to additional reverb. The way Andrew shows in the video does not convince me. It sounds like dry strings with artificial tail. But then again, if you are buying dry studio strings you probably won't use them if you need a large room sound.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

Oy... this latest video is demonstrating some deep flexibility and I'm starting to not mind the sound so much. Good thing I don't really have a need for this, it is shaping up very well.
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

Malachistos

Post by Malachistos »

Still, sounds stiff. I think it could have been recorded more spaced out. The vib sounds more like a distortion pad like vibrato. Something is not right. I just does not sound fluid, like these thype of strings would.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Malachistos wrote: Nov 09, 2021 5:10 pm Still, sounds stiff. I think it could have been recorded more spaced out. The vib sounds more like a distortion pad like vibrato. Something is not right. I just does not sound fluid, like these thype of strings would.
I think they sound very good, and what you hear that's different is the lack of Reverb in the mix, which most of the commercial Game Soundtracks have on top of the dry stage mix. I wouldn't rush to judge this library that fast.

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

Muziksculp wrote: Nov 09, 2021 6:54 pm
Malachistos wrote: Nov 09, 2021 5:10 pm Still, sounds stiff. I think it could have been recorded more spaced out. The vib sounds more like a distortion pad like vibrato. Something is not right. I just does not sound fluid, like these thype of strings would.
I think they sound very good, and what you hear that's different is the lack of Reverb in the mix, which most of the commercial Game Soundtracks have on top of the dry stage mix. I wouldn't rush to judge this library that fast.
I can't wait for your copy to arrive 'sculp. I also rather think that the strings sound a bit clinical. But seeing how deep the flexibility is, I remain open-minded, though certainly not enough to preorder. At least I like the shorts quite a bit. Not crazy about the room so far.
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Hi,

By the way, I forgot to mention that the Score you are listening to in the video I posted above is performed by TSS, the library !

The score was composed by composer Jeff Ball.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

Yes, that was clear during the video, but it sounded really quite good! It was also illuminating to see the musicians involved speak with so much reverence for their ‘National’ sound.
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

Malachistos

Post by Malachistos »

New Legato.

All in all, I think it is better. But it does sound very stiff (Violins are like: döööööööö).
Maybe the fault of the very unmusical demo phrases chosen in this video though.
They are just weird. Why not play something live? 100% more musical. Well release is 8.12. so we will see.

When I think of warm, flowing japanese string, the sound is very different.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Well This is TSS , Listen to how different it sound in this demo.

imho. the missing magic ingredient is REVERB ! used properly, and the right flavor of it. For some reason the walkthrough video Reverb was not cutting it.

Malachistos

Post by Malachistos »

yeah, but even Ikigai just sounds icy. No real vibrato. Just compare it to this track. Much more flowing, also the vibrato is much more apparent. Not that synthy. I do have preordered Tokio Strings, but sadly... the demos are just underwhelming at the moment.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Malachistos wrote: Dec 02, 2021 7:03 pm yeah, but even Ikigai just sounds icy. No real vibrato. Just compare it to this track. Much more flowing, also the vibrato is much more apparent. Not that synthy. I do have preordered Tokio Strings, but sadly... the demos are just underwhelming at the moment.
Do you feel the lack of a nicely performed Molto-Vibrato is what's not making you like the TSS sound in the demos ?

Malachistos

Post by Malachistos »

Muziksculp wrote: Dec 02, 2021 7:07 pm
Malachistos wrote: Dec 02, 2021 7:03 pm yeah, but even Ikigai just sounds icy. No real vibrato. Just compare it to this track. Much more flowing, also the vibrato is much more apparent. Not that synthy. I do have preordered Tokio Strings, but sadly... the demos are just underwhelming at the moment.
Do you feel the lack of a nicely performed Molto-Vibrato is what's not making you like the TSS sound in the demos ?
Yes. Its just not really a molto vib, but a synth layer. No humanity in the samples. Maybe to quick of a vibrato, no intensity? I don't know, It does not sound like I expect it to. It sounds like "brrrrrrrrr" but not like a performance? It will be hard to make it sound musical. I will absoultely try and make a walktrough video though. Just got my mic and such. I have so-so many libraries. And plans, to make unfiltered playtroughs.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Malachistos wrote: Dec 02, 2021 7:13 pm
Muziksculp wrote: Dec 02, 2021 7:07 pm
Yes. Its just not really a molto vib, but a synth layer. No humanity in the samples. Maybe to quick of a vibrato, no intensity? I don't know, It does not sound like I expect it to. It sounds like "brrrrrrrrr" but not like a performance? It will be hard to make it sound musical. I will absoultely try and make a walktrough video though. Just got my mic and such. I have so-so many libraries. And plans, to make unfiltered playtroughs.
I agree with you about the vibrato.

Actually, I requested more videos showing the Vibrato in more depth, and when more reverb is applied.

Cool ! I would surely watch your walkthrough once you have it posted.

Thanks

Malachistos

Post by Malachistos »

Re-rendered demos, now with molto vib, I guess I was just confused which demo was supposed to showcase which. I though Ikigai already used molto vib, but it did not, those have much more the texture I was hoping for:

Already liking it a lot better! :D

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Yes, these newer demos sound better, and they if you access their Discord server, they have these posted in .wav format, which sound much better still, with more depth, and detail you will enjoy listening to.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Looking forward to December 8th 😎

More demos, and videos will be posted of TSS.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Another good video from Andrew:

_