There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Incoming / major True Strike and Symphobia updates

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Incoming / major True Strike and Symphobia updates

Post by Piet De Ridder »

From a mail from ProjectSAM: "True Strike 1 is getting a major, free update in the next few weeks, followed by Symphobia 1 shortly after. We won’t spoil all the details just yet, but you can look forward to a completely new engine and total UI redesign. (...) And while we have your attention, a new website is in the works and many recordings are already being mixed and edited for products scheduled in 2022!"

_

Ashermusic

Re: Incoming / major True Strike and Symphobia updates

Post by Ashermusic »

Cool. I still use True Strike a lot.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

stonzthro

Post by stonzthro »

Is ProjectSAM going to their own player? The 'Library" tab makes me wonder?

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

stonzthro wrote: Sep 14, 2021 9:33 am Is ProjectSAM going to their own player? The 'Library" tab makes me wonder?
I don't think so.

Looking forward to ProjectSam's updates of their good old classic libraries, TS1, TS2, Symphobia 1 & 2, ...etc.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

stonzthro wrote: Sep 14, 2021 9:33 am Is ProjectSAM going to their own player? The 'Library" tab makes me wonder?
Interesting and good spot. Dunno... could be? Sorta hope not.

But very cool indeed that there's new free updates to these ancient libraries. I bought Symphobia 1 in 2009 I think. True Strike 1 came out in 2005! So the question is - is this a record for sample libraries? Can anyone think of another library that has been updated for free 16 years after it was originally released?

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

I'd be surprised (and probably not happy) with another in-house software. And I actually doubt that Project Sam would do it. Their catalogue of products is simply not large enough to justify the cost and risk of that kind of endeavor.

Tanuj Tiku

Post by Tanuj Tiku »

True Strike 1 is a wonderful library. I still use the 15 year old edition with multis!

I think its nice that they are revamping it - I don't know if they updated the sound quality with their mid season release but I will definitely upgrade to this one.

I don't think its a bad idea for them to move to their own player. Kontakt's GUI is getting really tedious to work with when there are so many libraries and I don't enjoy working with it.

If the player is stable and relatively easy to work with (there isn't much complication required), I will be very happy. Kontakt is stifling what developers can really offer in terms of a clean design and good UI.

Niah

Post by Niah »

"The re-issues of some of our libraries does not involve a new player. We will stick to Kontakt."
This was posted by projectsam some months ago

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Yay, thanks Niah.

I do follow your reasoning Tanuj, and I like OT's efforts but for me it's better the devil you know. (Did I ever mention I'm getting old?)

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

Niah wrote: Sep 14, 2021 5:18 pm
"The re-issues of some of our libraries does not involve a new player. We will stick to Kontakt."
This was posted by projectsam some months ago
I suppose the library tab is to change instruments then. Probably Kontakt updates and this new engine allows Project Sam to switch patches within one instrument as many other percussion libraries already did. Large GUI is possible since Kontakt 6 I believe.

I also find the library very good considering its age. But it's missing RRs, if I remember correctly. We had it at my college in Giga Studio, so, my memory is not exactly fresh ... :P

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Quote from another forum of ProjectSam Representative :

" Yes it is. We will stick to Kontakt."

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I’m one of the (rare?) few who don’t care what the player is as long as it works. I don't do a lot of patch editing-as long as the GUI is simple, the player doesn’t crash and it’s relatively CPU-friendly, I’m good.

For my purposes, I’ve had relatively few problems with Play, UVI, Sine etc.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

One thing to watch with these big shiny Kontakt interfaces is that in my experience that can produce really bloated nkis resource-wise. Audibro's stuff has become absolutely vast even purged. IIRC some of ProjectSAM's stuff has been pretty big too.

Niah

Post by Niah »

I agree, as long as it's rock solid, easy to install and has some amazing sounds most composers are fine with whatever player.

Having said that and I know this is probably very personal, but most of my compositions in recent years have used heavily the quartertones and microtuning kontakt scripts. I really miss that on the other players.

Even omnisphere has this.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Lawrence wrote: Sep 15, 2021 1:11 am I’m one of the (rare?) few who don’t care what the player is as long as it works. I don't do a lot of patch editing-as long as the GUI is simple, the player doesn’t crash and it’s relatively CPU-friendly, I’m good.

For my purposes, I’ve had relatively few problems with Play, UVI, Sine etc.
+1.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

True Strike's update -- version 2.0 -- is available, free for existing users.

_

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

And a great library gets even better!

www.jayasher.com

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

That said, after installing the update, when I try to load the All-In One resolving the "content missing" after pointing it to the Samples folder, taking seemingly forever and not finding what needs.. Individual instruments, new and legacy, load fine.

Samples folder is 16.54 GB, correct?

UPDATE: I am reinstalling it from Native Access, hopefully that will fix the issue. It says however it is only 9.24 GB. Maybe it got slimmed down sometime?

www.jayasher.com

wst3

Post by wst3 »

you know, the only Project Sam libraries I do not own are the "originals" - the organ, the harp, Brass Classic, and True Strike.

I love the sound of all the Project Sam libraries, but for some reason I just never felt the need to get True Strike. I have other percussion libraries I like a lot, most of which I purchased long before I discovered ProjectSam.

The addition of adaptive sync is nearly enough to get me to open my wallet. I did buy Pandora Core, and later upgraded to Pandora - it is pretty remarkable how well it works.

So yeah, maybe towards the end of the year I will finally cave?

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Ashermusic wrote: Oct 07, 2021 12:19 pm UPDATE: I am reinstalling it from Native Access, hopefully that will fix the issue. It says however it is only 9.24 GB. Maybe it got slimmed down sometime?
A guess - the earlier version was wav and 2.0 is ncw? Feels like the right kind of size discrepancy, but could be wrong.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

The good folks at Project Sam got back to me in a hurry:

Wytse Braaksma (ProjectSAM)
Oct 7, 2021, 19:54 GMT+2

"Dear Jay,
Thank you for contacting us. I'm sorry to hear about this inconvenience. This appears to be quite a common issue. A complete re-install of the True Strike 1 library might be necessary in this case.

The easiest way to do this is through Native Access: If you had already installed True Strike 1 on your system, please remove (delete) the True Strike 1 content folder. After a restart, Native Access will not recognize the library anymore and ask you to 'repair' it. Click 'repair' and 'reinstall' to download and install the latest version of the library again.

Please reach out to us again if you require any further assistance.
Best regards,

Wytse

ProjectSAM
www.projectsam.com

I did it and I replied "OK. That worked fine except the only instrument was the All In-One after I did it. Fortunately, I had the previous install backed up and simply copied the other instruments over, and now it is all good."

www.jayasher.com

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

I have a lot of great percussion libraries, but the workflow enhancements of True Strike 1 v2.0 make it really tempting. The Adaptive Sync feature is a real time saver. I also like True Strike 1 v2.0's flexibility as to how many sounds you can have under your fingertips at once (via Kits with Auto Spread).

It looks like ProjectSAM has given a classic, legacy product next generation features.

Edited to correct nomenclature.

Best,

Geoff

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

I wonder if True Strike 2 (the other TS library), will be updated to ver. 2 as well ?

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Muziksculp wrote: Oct 08, 2021 2:03 am I wonder if True Strike 2 (the other TS library), will be updated to ver. 2 as well ?
Oh man, I completely forgot there were two True Strike libraries. I've been referring to True Strike 1 v2.0 as "True Strike 2." I've got some posts to edit!

Thanks for the reminder, Muziksculp.

Best,

Geoff

wst3

Post by wst3 »

and now they went and put it on sale, 35% off, which is about as good as their sales get (when not working with NI).

It is going to be difficult to resist<G>>