There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Black Friday 2021 (inc early deals)

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Black Friday 2021 (inc early deals)

Post by Guy Rowland »

If someone wants to fully take on Black Friday this year, please do start another thread - in the absence of that, I figured this might be a useful place to dump particularly interesting deals.

These two are actually pre-Black Friday

Musical Sampling have any orchestral product for $129 until Nov 15. https://musicalsampling.com/

Waves have Platinum today only For $99 which is cheap even for them. I can actually upgrade from Gold for $55 - still not sure it's worth the faff for me though! - https://www.waves.com/bundles/platinum

wst3

Re: Black Friday 2021 (inc early deals)

Post by wst3 »

not ready to take on a complete catalog of deals, but happy to post the few that catch my attention, starting with:

Pulsar Audio is holding a huge pre-black-friday sale, up to 70% off, no deadline mentioned. I don't know a lot about them, but their Binson Echorec plugin is simply awesome. I've played the real deal, and this one comes pretty darned close. I have also played with the demos for their other plugins.

The Urei 1178 is an odd duck, it is two 1176 compressors tied together in one box, and they can not be operated independently, and for reasons that escape explanation it does sound different from two 1176s strapped together. The Pulsar emulation is quite good.

Strangely enough I did not like their 1176 emulation - apparently based on a modified version of the hardware, I just could not get it to behave nicely for me.

Their Mu is equally good. And I'd probably buy the lot if I didn't already have far too many compressors. As it is I'm afraid I'll limit myself to their Echorec.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

this just in - Plugin-alliance is giving away a lite version of Masterdesk. I have the full version, which I admittedly picked up on a lark during one of the insane sales.

Anyway, the stereo processing is really cool. and the limiter works well, and I even like the distortion it can add. I'm not impressed with the tone controls, but that's just me.

It won't make you a mastering engineer (in spite of the hype), but it is a very effective processor, and for some tracks it is just the finishing touch I seek.

soundbylaura

Post by soundbylaura »

Guy Rowland wrote: Nov 09, 2021 4:28 am If someone wants to fully take on Black Friday this year, please do start another thread - in the absence of that, I figured this might be a useful place to dump particularly interesting deals.

These two are actually pre-Black Friday

Musical Sampling have any orchestral product for $129 until Nov 15. https://musicalsampling.com/

Waves have Platinum today only For $99 which is cheap even for them. I can actually upgrade from Gold for $55 - still not sure it's worth the faff for me though! - https://www.waves.com/bundles/platinum
You can get a better price on that upgrade via EveryPlugin or AudioDeluxe. My Gold-plus-some-others update to Platinum is $50 on Waves site, but AudioDeluxe offered me $39 and I'm probably going to take it just so I can update all my plugs.
Be an upstander.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

soundbylaura wrote: Nov 09, 2021 8:33 amYou can get a better price on that upgrade via EveryPlugin or AudioDeluxe. My Gold-plus-some-others update to Platinum is $50 on Waves site, but AudioDeluxe offered me $39 and I'm probably going to take it just so I can update all my plugs.
Huh - the upgrade from Gold here is $60 on AudioDeluxe, maybe its because I'm in the UK.

I was wondering about just doing it for the same reason as you, just to be more up to date with OS updates etc. But I have quite a few more that aren't covered in this, so I'd have to do them too. Maybe when they do a Horizon upgrade for fifty bucks that could be the time for me - I'm ok with waiting...

soundbylaura

Post by soundbylaura »

You have to get your third-party vendor code from the Waves website and then email AudioDeluxe and/or EveryPlugin with that code to get your upgrade offer. Choose your upgrade then look on the right side of the page under the UPGRADE NOW button for the "Buying from your local dealer" link.
Be an upstander.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Good to know, thanks Laura. I'm gonna sit this one out, but it'll come in handy one day.

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Strictly speaking, not a Black Friday promotion, but if you hurry you can buy the Mäag Magnum-K comp/eq for $39. By hurry, I mean: you have to do it today. (Use the code MAAG-K-3999 at checkout.) The Magnum-K, a serious piece of virtual kit, is normally sold for $299.

_

soundbylaura

Post by soundbylaura »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Nov 10, 2021 6:46 am Image

Strictly speaking, not a Black Friday promotion, but if you hurry you can buy the Mäag Magnum-K comp/eq for $39. By hurry, I mean: you have to do it today. (Use the code MAAG-K-3999 at checkout.) The Magnum-K, a serious piece of virtual kit, is normally sold for $299.

_
If you add on voucher code USERSURVEY21QFK8H0T9 the price drops to $14.99.
Be an upstander.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

All three of the MAAG plugins are staples in my collection. They are brilliant designs to start with, and the emulations are really well done.

I had access to the hardware years ago. When the plugin first appeared I bought it without an audition. I've since added the EQ2 and Magnum-K.

All three fall into what I would call the musical end of the spectrum. Can't beat that!

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

VIRHarmonic have Bohemian violin and cello for €149 apiece (usually €229), which is apparently the last time these UVI versions will be on sale. Next month they launch their own new plugin versions of these two. (Presumably they're running into the limit of the number of files UVI Workstation can deal with).

wst3

Post by wst3 »

can't quite bring myself to spend $300 on me this time of year, but that is tempting! I guess I'll wait to see what they do next, and weep inconsolably if the plugin doesn't stand up to the library.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

CineSamples 50% OFF on all Libraries the whole month of November.

https://cinesamples.com/

They are also updating their Cine libraries to version 2.0 Starting with CineStrings Core

Here is CineStrings Core ver 2.0 GUI

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Slightly off topic, but do you know if 2.0 for CineStrings et al is just a GUI update or anything more substantial, Musiksculp?

Tanuj Tiku

Post by Tanuj Tiku »

Guy Rowland wrote: Nov 12, 2021 3:07 am Slightly off topic, but do you know if 2.0 for CineStrings et al is just a GUI update or anything more substantial, Musiksculp?
They said they are doing some re-editing and de-noising. I hope there are some significant scripting upgrades otherwise it won't be a very useful update. I doubt it will get a major overhaul as they have already made a soft announcement of a new orchestral line-up. If indeed that is the case, then it would not make much sense to revamp the existing libraries too much. Not even sure how much can really be done. The updates are also free!

I only have Cine Strings but a worthwhile update will be appreciated.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Yes, CineSamples are doing a full overhaul of their Cine Libraries. Including the Scirpts, and noise floor reduction, and many other refinements/improvements. Plus the new GUI.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

I generally do not care much about the look of a UI as long as I can get things done. Cinesamples is an interesting case, I like the idea of a single instrument covering all the articulations, and I like switching between CCs and keys and velocity and whim...

And yet the UI is not as useful as it could be, and while I've grown accustomed to them, they are a tad on the ugly side.

The new UI appears to put just about everything at your fingertips. I am intrigued.

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

soundbylaura wrote: Nov 10, 2021 8:05 am If you add on voucher code USERSURVEY21QFK8H0T9 the price drops to $14.99.
Thanks! You just saved me 20 bucks.

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

Sonnox Oxford has a sale up to 75% off. It also includes Claro, a plugin that recently peaked my interest after Piet introducing it here, although only with 24% off - not sure wether there was a introductory pricing before ...

I might also be interested in Trans Mod or Evolution @ 50% off, as we recently had a topic about transient shaping, which seems very helpful working with samples.

https://www2.sonnox.com/pub/plug-shop/shop-b.php

Strange: The prices @pluginboutique seem to be higher ...

https://www.pluginboutique.com/deals/show?sale_id=8844

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

A little OT, but looking at the new Cinesamples website ... this would probably the last picture that came to my mind to offer a Viola da Gamba. :D

Americans ... pffff! :P

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

BEFORE :

AFTER :

Tobias Escher

Post by Tobias Escher »

I chuckled at that picture, too... I understand the need for striking visual imagary, but a viola da gamba really has very little to do with Vikings.
But I guess that is a common topic - after all AC:Valhalla has quite little to do with true Viking raids-Era Scandinavia/British Isles, either (though they are Canadian, I think).The previous instalments were all quite accurate, but stave churches in 8th century Norway are at 200 years too early at least.
FriFlo wrote: Nov 12, 2021 3:49 pm A little OT, but looking at the new Cinesamples website ... this would probably the last picture that came to my mind to offer a Viola da Gamba. :D

Americans ... pffff! :P

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

I rather thought this was a depiction of a greek helmet and vessel. Now that you say Viking, I think you are right. The mountains in the background look Norwegian and the vessel could be, too.

But wether it's meant to be viking or greek, in both cases it is pretty far from a Viola da Gamba.

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

...And the graphic certainly doesn't connote baseball for this "World Series" title.

And the Vikings are a football team!

;)

Best,

Geoff

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Talking about Viola De Gamba Libraries, I still have to hear one that sounds right/very good.