There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Sonora Cinematic - Poiesis Cello for Kontakt Player

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Jaap

Sonora Cinematic - Poiesis Cello for Kontakt Player

Post by Jaap »

Now available via Triple Spiral Audio: Poiesis Cello by Sonora Cinematic. This beautiful new library works with the free Kontakt Player (6.5.3+) and is the first release in the Poiesis Strings Series.

Poiesis Cello features two different patches which will allow you to instantly create beautiful (or beautifully ugly!) soundscapes that will inspire new music the first time you touch the keyboard.

Textures is a two-layer instrument that allows you to choose between any of the 43 included articulations for each of the layers and freely crossfade between them using your keyboard’s mod-wheel (midi CC#1).

Shorts is a complementary patch that features three velocity-sensitive short articulations sampled with 5 round robins and 3 dynamic layers (+ snap pizz. on the pizzicato articulation.
The instrument recorded is a 1995 Moes & Moes cello built for and owned by Yo-Yo Ma and played by Alan Black, principal cellist with the Charlotte Symphony Orchestra.

Poiesis Cello is available at the introduction price of €95.95 (MSRP €119.95 - prices are with VAT included) till 3 November

Audio Demos:

Textures Walkthrough Video:

Shorts Walkthrough Video:

Malachistos

Re: Sonora Cinematic - Poiesis Cello for Kontakt Player

Post by Malachistos »

It looks like a very nice library. The critic in me is just a little put off by the decission to split each recorded velocity layer into single articulations. That seems weird and only serves to blow up the marketed articulations.

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

The 'Shorts' patch has all the velocity layers mapped into a single patch. It needs some additional tweaking, I find, especially where the lowest velocity layer switches to the medium layer, but other than that: quite playable.

For the sustained articulations, maybe an additional patch with velocity mapped dynamics for the 'ordinario' bowings (sordino, trem, sul tasto, harmonics, ...) might be useful, yes, though you can already modulate between two dynamic layers if you assign each of them to, respectively, the A- and B-slot.

The textural and motion bowings have no dynamics of course.

I'm not sure but I have a feeling that the absence of velocity-mapped sustained bowings is because the developer sees this library more as textural tool with which you fade from an 'ordinario' type of bowing into a 'motion' or 'textural' bowing, and back again. In other words, the 'ordinario' bowings are seen as textures, be it more static ones, as well.

It's a very well recorded cello, by the way. Add a well-programmed patch to this that does more standard-type of playing and legato performances, and you have a solo cello library which eclipses most others. As it is: a great addition to what's available already.

_

(My browser keeps insisting that 'sordino' should be spelled 'sardine'.)

_

Wiliford music 1

Post by Wiliford music 1 »

Piet, any suggestions for a legato/standard-type mate to this library?

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

In a single library? Mmm, not really.

I try to avoid having to use solo strings as much as possible, certainly in a starring role, because if it isn't one thing that bothers me about them, it's certainly going to be something else. Always something.
That said, when solo cello is needed, I usually reach for the Emotional first. Doesn't sound as warm as this Poiesis, and occasionaly, there's something in the timbre which bothers me a bit as well, but it is a great all-round performer (amazingly agile too) and if you've familiarized yourself with everything that's under the (many) keyswitches, you do have a pretty powerful, versatile and expressive virtual cello under your fingers.

I stil use the VSL cello too. Never heartily, but it has its uses.
The Spitfire's (Artisan & Sacconi) make an appearance on very rare occasions as well, but I find them frustratingly undersampled. Hence the very rare occasions.

Other than that, I don't have much solo cello experience, I'm afraid. (I have more solo strings — a.o. XSample, Cinesamples, Berlin First Chairs, ... — but none of those spring to mind when I need a virtual cello.)

I do know though that none of the existing ones are recorded as well as this new Poiesis. Which explains that wish for a more expansive future incarnation of this library.

Sorry for being unable to be very helpful on this subject.

_

Wiliford music 1

Post by Wiliford music 1 »

Thanks Piet. Your response was helpful and thanks for your time.

Steve

Malachistos

Post by Malachistos »

Regarding Legato:
https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... ow.116278/ Post #14

"@AMas Can you please confirm whether a legato patch will be added to the current cello? Thx!

I can't confirm it but it's highly likely.
As I've mentioned during the livestream we have already recorded several test recordings (about 1000 samples) for legato with promising results so at some point we will bring the cellist back in the studio and record legato.
It's important to understand that we will probably give priority to release at least another instrument before we do that and that rather than an update to the existing version, the legato will be a separate cello instrument you can purchase separately or in bundle with Poiesis Cello."

Thanks to Piet for testing this Cello. I trust his opinions. This library beeing editable in Kontakt is also a bonus.