There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

IK: AI Machine Modelling - TONEX announced

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

IK: AI Machine Modelling - TONEX announced

Post by Guy Rowland »

This is a curious one. It appears to be a product than can accurately model any hardware guitar rig. If the A/B comparisons on the video above are anything to go by, it's extremely impressive.

But I can't quite see the point of it. There's no suggestion that this will come with a library of modelled amps - this is for you to do with your own stuff. Which rather begs the question... why bother? You already own the hardware. I guess it could be useful to have a version of your rig for use when you are away from it, but in that case an app might be more appropriate, always with you.

Still. I think it's the underlying technology here that is perhaps more interesting than the product itself, and it may be more useful in future products. Though I wonder if there are issues with branding here.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/a ... emodeling/

bbunker

Re: IK: AI Machine Modelling

Post by bbunker »

This one's not too curious if you follow guitar hardware - their "Machine Modeling" is trying to duplicate what Neural DSP's Quad Cortex does with it's "Capture" functionality. In Neural's case, they provided a number of factory captures for various pieces, and because Neural already showed the way on doing that, it seems likely that they'll either package captures...err...Machine Models with the software package that the functionality comes with, or make them available for sale in some way. Or - people can share them, which would improve their ToneHub tech about a zillion-fold, so - not sure which way they're going, but there are definitely ways to go that will bear a lot of potential fruit.

Even if there aren't paired captures, it's still going to be useful to a lot of people. All those people who have an old Nobels that isn't modeled in Amplitube and plug it in before their interface? Now they can capture it and use it all in the box, with more functionality. Or - if you run amps out into your own cab and mic that you have set up, you can theoretically capture that setup and do that in the box, anywhere away from the studio, or at gigs without bringing a backline. There are lots of uses in the guitar world.

I can't speak for every/any guitarists beyond myself, but I'd say my interest level is at an 8 or 9 to see what they do with this. A lot will depend on implementation and how it's incorporated into Amplitube.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Interesting, thanks bbunker.

Incidentally, Peter from IK Multimedia has hinted there is more significant information to come on this new product. I guess that may or may not include sharing, a library of rigs, an app etc.

bbunker

Post by bbunker »

I was thinking about this later yesterday - I should of course have mentioned the Kemper Profiler, which is sort of a similar thing. Although, TH-U's Rig Capture thing sort of mimics that in software form. Not as well, IMHO. Guess should just say that the whole AI profiler thing is no flash in the guitaring pan.

I was thinking of how I'd use a [perfect] version of this technology - and of course my first thought would be to profile presets set up on my FM3 so that I can use them in the box with more versatility. Being able to monitor clean sounds with some LA or 1176 compression on it but without it printed would be kind of a big deal. Having amps and cabs in the box would remove the need for the endless pages of presets I have of single amps paired with various cabs, like "SLO - Rectos," "SLO - Marshalls", "SLO - Oranges" etc. because swapping those out could be done after the fact.

None of this will matter unless it's done well, of course, so - here's hoping.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Re: IK: AI Machine Modelling - TONEX announced

Post by Guy Rowland »

Here's all the details - it's quite a lot to get your head around.

=============

A complete ecosystem for creating and sharing Tone Models with IK’s new AI Machine Modeling™

IK Multimedia announces AmpliTube TONEX™, a complete software ecosystem based on the powerful new AI Machine Modeling™ technology that lets users model their own rig and play, practice and record with thousands of already available ultra-realistic Tone Models of amps and pedals.

Dumble Tone Models included in TONEX MAX

AmpliTube TONEX ecosystem consists of 4 products:

TONEX for Mac/PC

A revolutionary concept in rig modeling, and the core of the TONEX ecosystem, TONEX for Mac/PC uses breakthrough AI Machine Modeling technology to let users model the sound of any amp, cabinet, combo or pedal (like fuzz, distortion, overdrive, EQ, booster) and turn it into a plug-in, all with ease and a sonic accuracy that’s virtually indistinguishable from the real thing.

Users not only can share their user-generated Tone Models with the TONEX community, but they can also instantly play the more than 1,000 Premium Tone Models available in TONEX, painstakingly made by IK using its massive collection of the most sought-after amps and pedals in the world.

TONEX for Mac/PC works as a stand-alone and plug-in for all the major DAWs plus it’s available seamlessly inside AmpliTube 5 with Tone Models appearing just like regular AmpliTube gear. TONEX has two main sections: the Machine Modeler, where the AI Machine Modeling Tone Models are captured and generated, and the Player, where the Tone Models can be searched, browsed, played and their sound customized.

The Player’s extensive sound-editing section comes with full EQ, noise-gate, pre and post compressor, depth and presence controls, plus a high-quality reverb and VIR™, IK’s Volumetric Impulse Response technology with multi-IRs per cabinet. Thanks to AI Machine Modeling, amps and cabinets captured as Tone Models can also be separated so users can experiment with their own IRs or use IK's VIR™ technology to access hundreds of ultra-authentic virtual cabs and IRs to complete their tone. All of this customization can then be saved into a Tone Model preset.

Consistent with all major software from IK, TONEX for Mac/PC will be available in 3 versions with the same exact features, but a different number of Premium Tone Models included: TONEX SE (200 Tone Models), TONEX (400 Tone Models), TONEX MAX (1,000 Tone Models). A free version will also be available for everyone to experience the power of AI Machine Modeling for creating Tone Models.

TONEX App

TONEX for iPhone and iPad lets users experience the power of AI Machine Modeling Tone Models on their mobile device. It’s available both as a stand-alone app or as an AU plug-in for all the major mobile DAWs and includes the same exact Player section as TONEX Mac/PC software to play, practice and record anywhere using the most authentic and hyper-realistic gear models ever made. The TONEX App and Mac/PC software Tone Model library works in sync, so any user’s collection of Tone Models can be played seamlessly on any device, in the studio, at home or on the go.

TONEX in ToneNET

TONEX Tone Models will also be available in a new dedicated section of ToneNET (www.tone.net), IK’s online tone-sharing and social platform for browsing, demoing, downloading and sharing. Over 1,000 TONEX Premium Tone Models will be available in ToneNET for instant demo or download right inside TONEX software or app, depending on the version owned. Plus, new Tone Models from IK - and free user models from the TONEX community - will be continuously posted and available in real-time, for a limitless growing repository of the best tones.

TONEX standalone, plug-in and app, connect instantly to ToneNET from directly inside the software or app, allowing users to explore the latest Tone Models without breaking their creative workflow. Or, TONEX Tone Models can be experienced in ToneNET using a regular online browser and selected for subsequent download on the computer software or mobile device app.

TONEX Capture

Tone Models can be created in TONEX using a modern computer, a regular audio interface and minimal additional equipment. An interface such as AXE I/O is ideal for tone modeling with its dedicated Amp Out.

To make it easy for anyone to create Tone Models, IK’s new all-in-one TONEX Capture is an accessory that connects to the output of an audio interface to feed into an amp at just the right level. Then, the return stage sits passively between an amp and cab, sending a perfect copy back to the interface at a safe volume without affecting the amp/cab interaction.

The result is a pristine copy of the amp’s real tone, ready for TONEX modeling without the need for microphones and perfect room acoustics. Plus, TONEX Capture doubles also as a great reamplification device.

Pricing and Availability

TONEX for Mac/PC and TONEX Capture will be shipping in September and are available for pre-order now at a special introductory price from the IK Multimedia online store and from IK authorized dealers worldwide. TONEX App will be released at the same time in the Apple Store.

TONEX SE - $/€99.99* limited-time introductory price ($/€149.99 regular) - 200 Tone Models

TONEX - $/€149.99 limited-time introductory price ($/€249.99 regular) - 400 Tone Models

TONEX MAX - $/€249.99 limited-time introductory price ($/€399.99 regular) - 1000 Tone Models

AmpliTube 5 MAX users will receive a further $/€50 discount coupon on TONEX MAX.

TONEX Capture - $/€199.99 limited-time introductory price, ($/€249.99 regular) - Includes TONEX SE with 200 Tone Models

*All pricing excluding taxes.

Scoredog

Post by Scoredog »

Since the AXE interface is discussed I wonder if there is some correlation to AXE-Fx

bbunker

Post by bbunker »

No connection - AXE-I/O is IK's line of interfaces that they've had for a while. Their schtick is the variable impedance thing to make up for dull-sounding direct guitars. Came out in 2019, so well before ToneX was a glimmer in the eye of an IK engineer eyeing up Kemper.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I like to keep things simple. So, say I buy the 200 model entry level Tonex-will there be great sounding models, better than products presently out there? Everything else seems irrelevant to anyone but sound designers and tinkerers. I just wanna play.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Lawrence wrote: Aug 11, 2022 1:02 pm I like to keep things simple. So, say I buy the 200 model entry level Tonex-will there be great sounding models, better than products presently out there? Everything else seems irrelevant to anyone but sound designers and tinkerers. I just wanna play.
Well my plan is to get the free one first to see if I can detect a real world difference between it and the stuff I use now (mostly Guitar Rig and a bit of Amplitube Max 4).

I think - sonics aside - the big difference in use is that Tonex is a bunch-o-presets. There are some user controls, but it’s EQ and basic stuff like that. You’re basically playing a captured rig, not an emulation of an amp you can tweak. That doesn’t necessarily bother me, but I don’t yet know if the browsing experience will be a good one - is it easy to find something you like quickly?

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Well, I decided to take a mild flyer on the SE version, now preordered. $99 minus 30 jam ponts, worth a shot for $70.

I really really like Guitar Rig as a Swiss Army knife of effects and presets, but the tone isn't particularly felicitous, or at least it takes me a lot of work to get something I really like, especially for singing, bluesy sustained leads and slightly crunchy rhythms. Those are always the challenges with amp plug ins, I find. We'll see how IK does with their latest.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

bbunker

Post by bbunker »

Edge-of-breakup is always the hardest thing to model - so those slightly crunchy Deluxes, or cranked Twins that give a sustained but more full than raunchy tone have always been a bit naff on things like Guitar Rig or Amplitube. The good news is that, usually, profiling things do a much better job than software. It usually gets compressed and loses some magic if you need to dial the gain up on a profile, but having the option to get profiles in a plugin should be very useful.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Kemper profiling wizards haven't been able to distribute on any platforms besides Kemper, since the only plugin that's had a similar thing (TH-U's Rig Capture thing) is a walled garden where you can only buy them from Overloud or their approved creators. With ToneX being open to anybody, I'm hoping that there's a way for independent makers to sell them - because there's some amazing stuff out there I'd be using if I (a) had a Kemper, or (b) had these things brought to ToneX. For example:

At the moment, you need a Kemper to use things like this. If the marketplace is open to the MBritts, BHG's (Michael Nielsen), and TAF's (Orange Tree Studio) on ToneX, that's where things will get very interesting, regardless of the quality of the IK captures.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

4:30 in that video is one of the elusive light crunch tones that I love.

L.J. Nachsin

bbunker

Post by bbunker »

Yup. There are a number of Tone Models in the SE version that...[should]...offer something like that, if they're done well. All those '57 on 57,' '57 on 87,' 'Blue Twin,' 'Bold Twin,' 'Deluxe Rhythm,' 'Dr. Brit,' etc. - [should] give some options. Everything mid-gain look like American amps (except the Orange amps, although my guess is that most of those will be put to higher-gain than we might be looking for) in the SE category, so that might be a place where trying out a few of the Vox models will be something to consider.

Assuming that the models are good sounding, which is the big should in all that. We'll see...