There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Acousticsamples V-Horns saxes spotted

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
doctoremmet

Acousticsamples V-Horns saxes spotted

Post by doctoremmet »

https://www.acousticsamples.net/vhornssaxophones

It appears to be an SATB sax quartet. Maybe with two instrument variations, like how they approached the earlier trumpet / flugelhorn iteration. If this collection is as good as that one, I for one am very much looking forward to it. Demos sound promising.

Topic author
doctoremmet

Re: Acousticsamples V-Horns saxes spotted

Post by doctoremmet »

The link in the Soundcloud demos leads to a placeholder web page. But I guess the release is imminent.

Playlist here: https://on.soundcloud.com/HquDh14BzhLmBsv17
5B7AA62A-3CE0-4CB5-8A8A-E32810B447DE.jpeg

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Very impressive. They also sit nicely together, as "Christmas Jazz Favorites #3" illustrates.

Topic author
doctoremmet

Post by doctoremmet »

I have the feeling I may have finally found “my” saxophone VI… ;-)

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I think I’ve found my next.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Sounds promising.

If I recall correctly, the intro price of VHorns Brass Section was 159€; so I won't be surprised to see a similar price for VHorns Sax Section, if it's released as a separate product, rather than as an upgrade.

Best,

Geoff

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

It's €149. Just bought it, a minute ago.

_

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Good to know. Thanks, Piet!

Best,

Geoff

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

My earlier 'very impressive' doesn't cover the facts. It's unbelievably impressive.

After loading, the instruments still seem to require quite some time to fully instantiate though. Got me worried there for a few half minutes (one half-a-minute for each saxophone), but they all emerge eventually. (Still, this doesn't happen with the brass instruments.) I'm also having some trouble getting the glides to work, even after checking and trying out all the relevant settings, but perhaps I'm doing or not doing something that you shouldn't or should do. After all, it's only been 10 minutes after installation.

But this is a milestone in saxophone emulation, no doubt about it.

__

bbunker

Post by bbunker »

I didn't realize this morning that I was going to spend the afternoon lusting after some saxophones. Funny how the world works. Honestly at the price (and the exchange rate, unfortunately for my European colleagues) I don't know how long I can go on not having these in my life.

Honestly, the only thing keeping me so far is that I know that now I'm going to want the brass as well, and I'm wondering if there's going to be a full big band bundle in the works. If not - why not???

So - anybody got a shout chorus in them to break my willpower?

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Arnaud lied to me, promised me a beta:)

But since I love V-Horns so much, I will forgive him and buy these, especially in light of Piet's mini review :)

Bye, bye Broadway Big Band, you served me well, but we probably now will largely part company.

EDIT: Bought and installed, only played for 15 minutes but oh, boy, totally worth it.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

RobS

Post by RobS »

in my opinion best sax emulation so far, even better than swam, though this latter still has maybe a bit more flexibility... and a good endorsement for uvi

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

BTW, for those of you who don't know, while Stan Kenton, Thad Jones, and others monkeyed around with seating, this is the most common.
Seating.png
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Niah

Post by Niah »

Yea, these are just unmatched, absolutely incredible. Big achievement here no doubt.

Topic author
doctoremmet

Post by doctoremmet »

Acousticsamples just posted an announcement of this fine instrument on VI-C while teasing what looks like V-Horns “Low Brass”.

https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... st-5194626

RobS

Post by RobS »

doctoremmet wrote: Oct 06, 2022 11:44 am Acousticsamples just posted an announcement of this fine instrument on VI-C while teasing what looks like V-Horns “Low Brass”.

https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... st-5194626
maybe a solo tuba library...
Temme, while I'm at it, do you think the V-horns trumpets and bones can have the noble timbre of classical orchestral brass? From the demos they seem to be mostly jazzy oriented

Topic author
doctoremmet

Post by doctoremmet »

I have no clue, could very well be a solo library, although they did post the little audio file in response to me asking about bass trombones, cimbassi and such instruments. Flutes and other winds seem to be planned as well (but have not been recorded yet).

I don’t think the V-Horns libraries are limited to jazz use cases. Personally I hardly ever record that type of music with VIs anyway. Although maybe the majority of the user base ends up using them like that or in big band mockups and the like. My own preferred use of them is in “neo classical” SATB sax quartet music, and as solo instruments in -for lack of a better word- cinematic music. Note: I have never been near a real film score or whatever, as I am merely a hobby musician. Anyway, I would not dismiss them outright for any orchestral solo work but they wouldn’t be first picks.

RobS

Post by RobS »

doctoremmet wrote: Oct 07, 2022 10:16 am I have no clue, could very well be a solo library, although they did post the little audio file in response to me asking about bass trombones, cimbassi and such instruments. Flutes and other winds seem to be planned as well (but have not been recorded yet).

I don’t think the V-Horns libraries are limited to jazz use cases. Personally I hardly ever record that type of music with VIs anyway. Although maybe the majority of the user base ends up using them like that or in big band mockups and the like. My own preferred use of them is in “neo classical” SATB sax quartet music, and as solo instruments in -for lack of a better word- cinematic music. Note: I have never been near a real film score or whatever, as I am merely a hobby musician. Anyway, I would not dismiss them outright for any orchestral solo work but they wouldn’t be first picks.
thank you, I'm considering buying the brass, if they are as expressive as their sax counterpart...

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

RobS wrote: Oct 07, 2022 11:01 am

thank you, I'm considering buying the brass, if they are as expressive as their sax counterpart...
They are. Steve Porcaro of Toto fame heard the flugelhorn solo on my song demo for “And So It Begins” and immediately sent me a text message asking what it was and where he could buy it. And I probably spent all of twenty minutes playing and editing the solo.

www.jayasher.com

RobS

Post by RobS »

Ashermusic wrote: Oct 07, 2022 11:15 am

They are. Steve Porcaro of Toto fame heard the flugelhorn solo on my song demo for “And So It Begins” and immediately sent me a text message asking what it was and where he could buy it. And I probably spent all of twenty minutes playing and editing the solo.
ha that's great Jay!
just purchased...

Topic author
doctoremmet

Post by doctoremmet »

Ashermusic wrote: Oct 07, 2022 11:15 am

That’s awesome.

And yes I concur, the brass sounds excellent. Rob - I think our fellow contributor Piet did quite the elaborate review when the instruments were released. In fact, it was his review that peaked my interest.

RobS

Post by RobS »

doctoremmet wrote: Oct 07, 2022 12:30 pm ...

And yes I concur, the brass sounds excellent. Rob - I think our fellow contributor Piet did quite the elaborate review when the instruments were released. In fact, it was his review that peaked my interest.
I need some time to do an appropriate test, my first impression isn't as enthusiastic as with the saxes... we'll see

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Assuming I went with the AS saxes (which I plan to), I think I’d still stick with SM The Trumpet. That would leave bones, as I like the SM bones but feel there could be meatier samples out there.Thoughts?
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

RobS

Post by RobS »

I don't know Larry, the reason why I bought V-horns is exactly because I'm not satisfied with what I have... Cinebrass core and pro, Chris Hein orchestral brass (compact), VSL special edition, the old EWQLSO, plus SM trumpet and bone and Audiomodeling Brass. And Wivi which despite its age still finds a place every now and then in my tracks. So I hope this last library will reveal itself to be useful not only for jazz but also for classical settings, which are part of my job.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

RobS wrote: Oct 07, 2022 5:27 pm I don't know Larry, the reason why I bought V-horns is exactly because I'm not satisfied with what I have... Cinebrass core and pro, Chris Hein orchestral brass (compact), VSL special edition, the old EWQLSO, plus SM trumpet and bone and Audiomodeling Brass. And Wivi which despite its age still finds a place every now and then in my tracks. So I hope this last library will reveal itself to be useful not only for jazz but also for classical settings, which are part of my job.
I do think the V-Brass are better suited for jazz and pop/rock. Which is what I wanted because I have plenty of classical horns I am ok with.

www.jayasher.com