There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

New post audio tool - Boom It

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

New post audio tool - Boom It

Post by Guy Rowland »

https://www.hal-audio.com/produit/boom-it/

The idea here is to simulate the movements of a real person, and make the sound of an ADR recording match. The video above explains well in a nice concise way.

A down side is it might get fiddly and tedious to replicate and automate all the body movements. But this feels like a tool aimed at a very specific customer who mkay already using much clumsier tools to emulate this exact thing, and in that case this should save time. But - again - there are limits here, and perhaps the bigger issue is that it doesn't have any spatial element, which you'd need to do separately if your actor is in any physical space. Audio Ease's Indoor will still be far better as a one-stop tool, but it's not cheap - this is $99 intro, $149 RRP.

Most of my own TV dubbing work is not drama, so this tool isn't an instant buy for me, but I am well aware of how important it is to make things sound worse. I have to make ADR match all the time, and thus degrade a pristine recording to something that blends with the awful scratchy lav mics used on set. Boom It also has profiles of these kinds of mics - that's a nice to have, but I think iZotope's various EQ matching tools will likely be better here, as the sound of any given lav mic is so dependent on its physical position on the body and under clothes that you have to match with something specific.

In the end this looks like a slick and easy to use product which does half a job really well. I'd like to see a Pro or Advanced version that integrates a convolution reverb that could genuinely compete with Indoor.