There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

M2 Macbook Pro and Mac Minis released

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

M2 Macbook Pro and Mac Minis released

Post by Guy Rowland »

ImageFor the Macbook Pros, both 14 and 16 inch models can now have 96gb if specced with the M2 Max. The Pro / Max CPUs have core and GPU bumps up. There are minor other upgrades: wi-fi is now 6E3, HDMI supports 8k displays. Everything else seems the same as before. Prices seem significantly more expensive than the M1 series, however.

The Mac Minis come in regular and Max flavours, and is a bigger jump up performance-wise I believe. However even with the Pro chip, it maxes at 32gb. Storage goes up to 8TB (same as the new MBPs). Regular version starts at $599, Pro version at $1,299.

Rather than paste a link here, just go to your local Apple site and see how the specs/prices work out for you.

Muziksculp

Re: M2 Macbook Pro and Mac Minis released

Post by Muziksculp »

Cool new M2 based computers from Apple.

But, I have no interest in them, because I'm waiting to see what the next gen. Mac Pro is going to offer.

My current studio PCs are 10+ years old. So, I have a big, and critical decision to make this year. Go with a Custom high-end PC or the next gen. Mac Pro . I'm also trying to eliminate the use of Slave computer/s which I find a pain to deal with, and maintain.

I purchased a Mac Book Air M2 midnight model last year, mainly for everyday tasks, but not for music production. It's one of the best things I purchased last year.

So, I'm very excited about the next Gen. Mac Pro. I'm guessing it will be out before April this year.

Having been a Windows user for the past 10 years, I'm a bit nervous about the Mac OS updates every year, with regards to compatibility, and related issues.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Not too long to wait according to the rumour mill then Muziksculp - an update to the Mac Pro is due in June this year (text highlighted in link - https://www.macrumors.com/guide/2022-ma ... his%20year. ). I don't know who would buy one today, it's the only product still on Intel and the improvement will be vast. God knows what the price will be!

Out of interest have you tried any music application on your Air just to see how it does?

playz123

Post by playz123 »

I’ve just ordered a new Mac Mini M2 for use in my office, so won’t be commenting on its usefulness in the studio. But it will get a workout with graphics and video as well as usual office-related activities. After so many years of using a Mac in the studio and a PC in my office, I’ve finally given up on Microsoft and moved to all Apple. No regrets, and my old Mac Pro in the office can now be retired. With a Mac Studio Ultra in the music.studio, I should be set now for a good few years.
Frank E. Lancaster

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Guy Rowland wrote: Jan 18, 2023 4:10 am Not too long to wait according to the rumour mill then Muziksculp - an update to the Mac Pro is due in June this year (text highlighted in link - https://www.macrumors.com/guide/2022-ma ... his%20year. ). I don't know who would buy one today, it's the only product still on Intel and the improvement will be vast. God knows what the price will be!

Out of interest have you tried any music application on your Air just to see how it does?
Hi Guy,

Thanks for the feedback.

No, I haven't tried running any music apps on my MBAir M2. , I might do this to see how it does, I would also need to install my DAW (S1Pro 6).

The super high price point of the next Gen. Mac Pro is something I have to evaluate when it is released this year, but if the performance factor is very impressive, then it might be just what I need, especially given that I want to eliminate the use of a slave computer/s. Although custom built high-end PCs for music production are quite pricy as well, but still not as high priced as a Mac Pro. Whatever I end up getting this year, it would need to be able to last for at least another 7 to 10 years to come.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

This is fairly hair-raising - a report that a maxed out Macbook Pro currently costs over $52k, but Apple's own trade-in value for it is precisely $970 - https://www.notebookcheck.net/Maxed-out ... 635.0.html . Yikes.