There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

East West Hollywood Fantasy Orchestra - Brass and Winds now released

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Thomas Mavian

Re: East West Hollywood Fantasy Orchestra Strings

Post by Thomas Mavian »

Nick Phoenix wrote: Mar 30, 2023 11:47 pm I think it comes down to this. Are we here to learn something? Or are we here to support our club, or friends or whatever? I learned a lot from forums in the past. I have every right and actually a responsibility because I actually have everyone’s interest at heart, to say something in this case. I am not a genius sample developer: but thanks for the complement. I am a composer who is lucky enough to be able to make instruments that I and others can use. I think many composers could make good or great virtual instruments if they were in that position. It’s not rocket science if you understand music. Jay’s comments are way off base. If you guys can’t handle the truth, what are you doing here? Jay is a Logic Audio expert. Forums are sometimes a place where people pretend to be something that they are not.
"You can't please 100% of the customers 100% of the time", not rocket science if you understand business.
And if you can't handle that truth, what are you doing here? Three posts in and almost on my ignore list...

And, I'm nobody.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

The Sound Board has been, I think, pretty much drama free for a good couple of years now. Interesting who just joined and reset the clock to 0 days.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Guy Rowland wrote: Mar 31, 2023 4:07 am The Sound Board has been, I think, pretty much drama free for a good couple of years now. Interesting who just joined and reset the clock to 0 days.
Clearly, someone who visits here reached out to Nick and said or wrote something like, "Jay Asher just trashed your new library. Didn't that guy used to work for you?" and Nick joined and wrote that he wrote.

That person is the real villain in the piece. I still think this should be a developer free forum. (Sorry, Mike, aka big fella.)
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Mike Greene

Post by Mike Greene »

Ashermusic wrote: Mar 31, 2023 11:29 am That person is the real villain in the piece. I still think this should be a developer free forum. (Sorry, Mike, aka big fella.)
Hey!!!

FWIW, I don't disagree with you, though. I don't necessarily agree, either, mind you, but I can totally see reasons for not wanting developers (or other forum owners!) here, so if there ever comes a day when that gets discussed, I completely understand and my feelings won't be hurt. Although ... if a new member named Klondike Ovelstein joins shorty after that, you might want to watch out for that guy. :D

On the original topic (or rather, the original tangent), I wonder if part of what upset Nick is when Jay talked about the reliability of "Engine," and Nick may have thought Jay meant the Play/Opus "engine," rather than Best Service Engine. (In Nick's second post, he wrote "... you think we have lost it and our engine doesn’t work ...") Previous to that, Jay's comments weren't really that critical, so maybe the "engine" thing was the straw that broke the developer's back.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Mike Greene wrote: Mar 31, 2023 12:04 pm
Ashermusic wrote: Mar 31, 2023 11:29 am That person is the real villain in the piece. I still think this should be a developer free forum. (Sorry, Mike, aka big fella.)
On the original topic (or rather, the original tangent), I wonder if part of what upset Nick is when Jay talked about the reliability of "Engine," and Nick may have thought Jay meant the Play/Opus "engine," rather than Best Service Engine. (In Nick's second post, he wrote "... you think we have lost it and our engine doesn’t work ...") Previous to that, Jay's comments weren't really that critical, so maybe the "engine" thing was the straw that broke the developer's back.
Well, then his reading skills need work, no? Engine was capitalized. And I was responding to a post that clearly mentioned Best Service Engine.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Mike Greene

Post by Mike Greene »

Yep. Totally clear, and I think the rest of us all knew what you meant. And ironically, you weren't even being negative about Engine.

But I don't know where else "you think ... our engine doesn’t work ..." could have come from.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Mike Greene wrote: Mar 31, 2023 12:33 pm Yep. Totally clear, and I think the rest of us all knew what you meant. And ironically, you weren't even being negative about Engine.

But I don't know where else "you think ... our engine doesn’t work ..." could have come from.
Meanwhile, go to work and finish Realivox-The Men already!

www.jayasher.com

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

Man, you ask a question about some Engine's performance and next thing you know people are getting yelled at for being on a vengeance trip. That'll teach me to digress from the topic at hand...
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

Jaap

Post by Jaap »

Luciano Storti wrote: Mar 31, 2023 12:57 pm being on a vengeance trip
Leave VPS Avenger from Vengeance out of it, one of the best synths ever :D

Kidding aside. Thought it was pretty obvious Jay was talking about the Best Service Engine engine and his comments didn't strike me a very critical indeed. It was more about whether there is need for such libraries.
I personally disagree with Jay as I know there is a lot of demand for this kind of libraries in this styles, but well, no harm done in having a different opinion ain't it?

Nick, I personally think you nailed it with this library and I have been a very loyal longtime customer since 2007 and I admire how you keep the chops up, but please don't feel that attacked, specially not on a forum like this, which is as Guy stated, a lovely place without drama and where we can freely talk about libraries.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

And not about some fictitious “revenge.”
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

ZeeCount

Post by ZeeCount »

I feel like I am reading a thread about 8DIO... Talk about developers being out of touch with everyone else.

From what I can see, Jay's initial post was "This is a well-made and thought-out library, I just don't see a use for it in my situation". I hope that Nick just speed read the post, because otherwise it takes some pretty deliberate misreading to end up with "I'm out for revenge against this company so lets trash their products!"
Soundcloud __________ Youtube

Tanuj Tiku

Post by Tanuj Tiku »

Just to add here - Developers are in fact welcome here. There never was a policy to discourage or not have developers on TSB. We only ask them to refrain from very commercially driven posts. At the same time, we do welcome posts from developers talking about their projects in a way that would perhaps not get the nuanced reactions on more public forums. That is the hope anyway!

Sorry to see all the trouble between Jay and Nick, especially as it seems that the situation was totally misunderstood.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I don’t think having developers aggressively defend their products from peoples’ opinions is a thing we want to have here. Key word “aggressively.”
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Tanuj Tiku

Post by Tanuj Tiku »

Lawrence wrote: Mar 31, 2023 9:58 pm I don’t think having developers aggressively defend their products from peoples’ opinions is a thing we want to have here. Key word “aggressively.”
Hi Larry! hope you are well!

Agreed and I was not referring to Nick's post specifically. I read a question somewhere above about whether developers were allowed - so just wanted to clear the base line.

How else have we allowed the evil Mr. Greene to hang around TSB!

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I agree with everyone except Nick. If you’re still around Nick a polite apology would seem a good idea, if not then I guess it’s hello, good evening and good night.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Tanuj Tiku wrote: Mar 31, 2023 10:31 pm
Lawrence wrote: Mar 31, 2023 9:58 pm I don’t think having developers aggressively defend their products from peoples’ opinions is a thing we want to have here. Key word “aggressively.”
Hi Larry! hope you are well!

Agreed and I was not referring to Nick's post specifically. I read a question somewhere above about whether developers were allowed - so just wanted to clear the base line.

How else have we allowed the evil Mr. Greene to hang around TSB!
Hi to you Tanuj and ditto!

Re developers in general-understood and agreed. I actually WAS referring to Nick’s post. Evil Mr Greene causes no problems here and adds thoughtful commentary.
I’m pretty sure Nick didn’t join to hang with us and enjoy our community.

Again, key word “aggressively.”

L.J. Nachsin

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Mike Greene, thoughtful? Puh-leeeze, he only comes here to avoid finishing Realivox-The Men.

www.jayasher.com

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Re: East West Hollywood Fantasy Orchestra - Brass now released

Post by Guy Rowland »

Fantasy Brass is out now, featuring Flugelhorns, Alpenhorns, Wagner Tubas and Low Brass Ensemble.

Sounds good to me, though some of the pitching seemed on the fruity side*. Looks like the full manual or articulation list isn't yet available, but from the video it looks like only Flugelhorns and Tubas have legato.

Intro price $99, RRP $149.

*EDIT - listening to the 2nd half of the video which goes through the demo piece, some of that tuning is absolutely shocking actually. I wouldn't get this til they've fixed that.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I only very very rarely go to VI-C, but the lack of an interest on this here - and the rather extreme sounding pitching issues - meant I took a look to see if it was widely reported. Not a single comment about it, but plenty of talk about the product in general, licensing, price etc. Does no-one else hear it?!

Indulge me - can someone else listen to the phrase at approx 24.45 for about 10s? Just the first thing I landed on, there's a lot of examples in the video. That sounds bloody awful to me. Everything else about the product sounds good, but yikes.

Linos

Post by Linos »

Yes, the brass has intonation problems. For the Wagner tubes, it may be difficult to correct because the instruments in the ensemble have intonation problems with each other. You can hear it clearly from 8:49 onwards.

The worst offenders are the alphorns (the correct spelling is 'alphorn', not 'alpenhorn' as Eastwest calls them). Listen for example at 4:40. Not only are they badly out of tune, they don't sound like alphorns at all. I don't know what kind of post-processing Eastwest applied. Whatever it was, it wasn't a good idea. I have heard quite a few alphorn ensembles live. Good ones and bad ones. Not once did an ensemble even remotely sound like the samples in this library.

You can also listen to the multi-track demos here:

https://www.soundsonline.com/orchestral ... -orchestra

Select 'Ride to Avalon', solo the horns and low brass. The problems are quite obvious.

I'm not interested in a fantasy library anyway. If I were, I would not buy the brass section.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Actually I hear it less in Ride To Avalon than in the product video Linos (and Benny Oschmann is a fantastic composer / arranger), but glad I'm not hearing things! And yes, I did wonder if the problem were baked in to the ensemble recording.

A random thought - I don't think even polyphonic mode in Melodyne can help tuning of 3 instruments all supposedly playing the same note, but it feels like the kind of thing that it could handle in the future.

But ye gads, you'd think they'd get a note right between themselves in a recording session - a certain amount of looseness is desirable (as Spitfire have argued for years), but this is way past that.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Ashermusic wrote: Mar 31, 2023 12:46 pm Meanwhile, go to work and finish Realivox-The Men already!
I never say +1, but I'll make an exception this time! :D

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

I am staying out of this, I don’t want to have Nick come after me again:)

www.jayasher.com

My name is Nobody

Post by My name is Nobody »

Nick Phoenix wrote: Mar 30, 2023 11:47 pm ….. because I actually have everyone’s interest at heart, ……
Generally, I think that the ‘tone’ of your posts here are quite unnecessary and any outsider can see that you want to defend your company’s products.

Allthough that’s understandable, please don’t pick on Jay, and do this publicly. Be reasonable. Go have a cup of coffee somewhere and speak this through like human beings.

Lastly, if you make statements like the one quoted here, I think many will know better. As one of the countless examples of this, let me refer to the fact that the loyalty ‘upgrade’ for (the wonderful reverb) Spaces is higher then the sale price of Spaces II.

With respect
JES