There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Spectrasonics Keyscape update

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
GR Baumann

Spectrasonics Keyscape update

Post by GR Baumann »

...Through careful experimentation, renowned piano technician Jim Wilson (creator of the unique Yamaha grand used in Keyscape for the LA Custom C7), discovered how to achieve this gorgeous muted sound on a world-class 7-foot grand piano. After a great deal of thought and experimentation, Jim ended up carefully cutting, fitting, and gluing two individually layered strips of a thick, natural felt to each hammer. ...
A free update, nice. I own Keyscape since what, 2 weeks only. :)

https://www.spectrasonics.net/news/news ... php?id=139

Guy Rowland

Re: Spectrasonics Keyscape update

Post by Guy Rowland »

What lovely news. Will have a play tomorrow.

As has been said many, many times, the spectrasonics policy of no sales but free significant updates years after release has a lot going for it.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

It's a lovely tone. Funnily enough, in the featured piece here I found those lower mids a bit overwhelming, but under the fingers I don't find it overly so. I think rapid or sustained playing in that C2-C3 range most accentuates it:

It's pretty joyful to play. I can see this getting a fair bit of use.

EDIT - if anyone was wondering, the update is about 2.6gb.

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Every time I have to go through it, I appreciate Spectrasonics' Smart Update feature. So smooth.

Not a felt piano man myself, but I can hear that, if you are, this update will be loved. (And, of course, loading the samples in Omnisphere opens the doors, or gates, to uncharted worlds of sounds and timbres that stretch far beyond the typical 'felt piano' idiom.)

_

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Mar 30, 2023 5:45 am Every time I have to go through it, I appreciate Spectrasonics' Smart Update feature. So smooth.
On Windows they've changed it a little for this update, and if anything it's even smoother than before. Quite agree, it's a model of how it should be done.

Topic author
GR Baumann

Post by GR Baumann »

Now, I know there are others with felt, this is my first one, hence I can not compare, but this one is very very pretty in deed.

Jap, the software update process at Spectrasonics is 100% painfree.

I am looking at you native :wallbang: instruments, yes, YOU! :D