There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Softube / Model 80 (Prophet 5 emulation)

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Softube / Model 80 (Prophet 5 emulation)

Post by Piet De Ridder »

"Softube has fully modeled and accurately articulated every detail of the circuit of this synth legend for sounds, interactions, and performance that are as close to the hardware unit as possible. Included are the original factory presets, heard on many classic recordings, which allow producers to swiftly interact with these famous sounds instead of reconstructing them.

The expertly modeled Voice Mod section perfectly captures the modulation, sound, and feel of the hardware, while the added Invert Voice Mod button provides additional modulation envelopes not found with the original. These features and essential workflow enhancements – like Voice Pan Spread, quantize filter cutoff, and velocity and aftertouch modulation – provide an authenticity that integrates seamlessly into modern productions. Model 80 allows everyone to create inspiring new sounds, recreate classic old ones, and enhance their productions with an iconic, high-end instrument."

Model80 is Modular-Ready: includes five modules for Softube Modular, our modular synthesis plug-in and platform.

Intro price: 99 USD until June 2nd, 2023 (Regular price: 159 USD)

__

Ashermusic

Re: Softube / Model 80 (Prophet 5 emulation)

Post by Ashermusic »

I would be all over this if I weren't pretty darned happy with the U-he Repro 5.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

If only we had another two dozen or so emulations of the Prophet 5.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

I like Repro-5 a lot, and I still miss Pro-53. The rest sound interesting, but not like the Prophet 5 I used. Doesn't mean a thing really.

I did download the trial version, I'd love it if they really got it spot on. Their other synths are cool, I like their mini and their Juno plugins, so this one could be good.

Thomas Mavian

Post by Thomas Mavian »

Had a hunch they'd do this but like Jay I'm all too happy with Repro-5. Wondering what their Model 90 would be? Virus? Nord? MS2000? JD8000?

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

I’m fairly sure this one was developed in the belief that they could get closer to the original than anyone before them. Otherwise, why? Surely, that very question must have been asked and debated at the meeting where the idea of a Softube Prophet-5 was first put forward? (Whether they succeeded, or not, in getting closer to the hardware than anyone else, I can’t tell, never having been anywhere near a real Prophet-5.)

A big added attraction — barely mentioned in the Model 80 threads I read on other forums — is that Softube’s modelled Prophet-5, unlike u-He’s, can be dismantled and loaded selectively in the mighty Modular. Where it can be combined with, say, parts of a (modelled) Juno-106, various (modelled) Moog components, bits of a (modelled) SH-101, a (modelled) Korg filter, crazy (modelled) Eurorack stuff and then, if so desired, sent through (modelled) Neve circuitry or various other pieces of (modelled) hardware. And Softube being pretty good at this modelling thing, means: exciting hours of creative adventure to look forward to. For those who find this type of thing exciting anyway. I do.

__

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

When comparing Repro and Model 80, I think we’re nearing the point at which one is 99.8% like a Prophet and the other is 99.9%. There’s also the question of which Prophet each is being compared to, as the keyboards vary slightly in sound, due to aging components and a variety of other factors.

For the sake of argument, let’s say it turns out that Model 80 is a tenth of a percent closer than Repro (which, like others here, I own). That alone is not enough reason to part with my hard earned money. After all, I have never once set out to compose music with the purpose of achieving a spot on impression of a hardware synth. If I ever try to do that, then I’ve lost my way. My sole interest in any virtual instrument is whether or not it can serve the piece I’m working on. It may even turn out that a VI that is ever so slightly different from a Prophet might be even better for the piece than the real thing. At that point, we’re looking at a different “best” than best emulation.

Back in my cover band days in the ‘80s, I remember loving the synth sounds on “Burning Down the House;” and I took pride in really nailing them with my OB-8. Years later, I found out that the original recording was created with a Prophet. My takeaway is that if an OB-8 could sound so much like a Prophet, then maybe I can relax a bit about buying the closest sounding VI today.

That said, I see the value in the five modules that Model 80 offers (VCO, VCF, LFO, ENV, and MULTIPAN) for Softube’s Modular system (that was developed in partnership with Doepfer). I also like that Model 80 doesn’t include effects, which I usually turn off on other soft synths; and I presume it will have patch banks not available in Repro. Those features give it some value to me. If a future sale lowers the price closer to that of a sound bank, I may wind up purchasing Model 80 down the road.

Best,

Geoff

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Yes to every word of that Geoff.

If you can find a way to use a new version in a genuinely different way such as the modular thing, great. Makes sense. But honestly, otherwise the endless quest for sonic perfection from an item that was wildly variable itself is insane. Arturia updated their Prophet 5 recently, apparently it's now incredibly authentic to version something or other, only other people say it isn't and then the internet.

As usual I consider it all displacement activity.

FWIW - I've thought for a long time that one of the reasons people particularly love the u-Hes is because of the on-board effects. That Wavefolder is magic, but it was never on a Pro One.

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Thanks, Guy. I appreciate your validation.

I agree that u-he has very good onboard effects; and of course, soft synth effects in general are much better than they used to be. On occasion, I will track a synth with its effects enabled, when I know that’s what I want to hear in the final mix; but more often than not, I prefer a clean slate when I begin a mix.

Of course, when it comes to tracking samples for which the room is an important part of the sound (drum kits, orchestral instruments, etc.), I’ll usually leave them wet; but that’s a topic for another discussion.

Best,

Geoff

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Makes sense to me for some effects Geoff, but something like the Wavefolder (rep-1 rather than rep-5) is so unique that I’d definitely want to keep that. I can definitely understand stuff like verb and delay though.

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

True, Guy, timbre sculpting effects are much more likely to be keepers for me as well, wavefolding being a great example. Sorry I didn’t acknowledge that. I’m glad u-he included that feature, even though Sequential Circuits didn’t.

Edit: I presume one could use wavefolding with Model 80 in Softube’s Modular environment by patching Model 80’s modules to the Intellijel µFold II, but that would require extra purchases and DIY sound design.

Best,

Geoff

wst3

Post by wst3 »

the only thing that piqued my curiousity to the point of purchasing Model 72 was the ability to incorporate it into their Modular. And that was so much fun I also bought their Model 84. You'd think I'd go for the Model 80.

I think that I am well covered in Moog goodness by the GForce Software Minimonsta, the Cherry Audio Miniverse, , and of course the u-He Repro 5 I think I have sufficient options to keep me going for a long time.

The odd thing is that you'd think being able to add Moog modules to the Modular would be enticing, but somehow it is not enticing enough.

doctoremmet

Post by doctoremmet »

But… this is not a Moog, rather a Sequential Circuits synth?

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

doctoremmet wrote: May 08, 2023 7:57 am But… this is not a Moog, rather a Sequential Circuits synth?
Yes, Bill had a senior moment, it happens to us :)
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

wst3

Post by wst3 »

sorta - I know the new one is a P5, I guess the thing I was trying to say is that the Softube emulations are all quite good, but the selling point for me was the ability to load them into Modular. For the 72 it was a no-brainer, I wasn't sure how well the 84 modules but thought it worth a try. They are fun to play with.

I have the same thought about P5 modules in Modular, just can't quite "hear" it in my head, at least not yet.

Clearly I was not paying sufficient attention while typing...