There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

[NEW] VSL Duality Strings

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Lawrence

Re: [NEW] VSL Duality Strings

Post by Lawrence »

Another nice thing re VSL-I own VEP (a few versions), one BBO and SE winds and that’s it from Vienna.

When the iLok transition happened, they turned SE winds into SE basic, giving me all of the instruments of the basic SE orchestra. Damn generous.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Lawrence wrote: Jul 13, 2023 7:43 pm Another nice thing re VSL-I own VEP (a few versions), one BBO and SE winds and that’s it from Vienna.

When the iLok transition happened, they turned SE winds into SE basic, giving me all of the instruments of the basic SE orchestra. Damn generous.
The folks at VSL, like Paul Kopf, are really good people and Vienna Ensemble Pro is genius software.

I wish I liked their libraries more, but they just don’t suit me.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Ashermusic wrote: Jul 13, 2023 9:35 pm
Lawrence wrote: Jul 13, 2023 7:43 pm Another nice thing re VSL-I own VEP (a few versions), one BBO and SE winds and that’s it from Vienna.

The folks at VSL, like Paul Kopf, are really good people and Vienna Ensemble Pro is genius software.

I wish I liked their libraries more, but they just don’t suit me.
Definitely a horses for courses thing, but I loved my SE Winds on most levels, and I recently did an arrangement for a client using my new free SE solo strings. I was pleasantly surprised.

Agreed on VEP, allowed me to keep running a Mac Pro 2008 (!) til 2019.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Snarf

Post by Snarf »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Jul 13, 2023 5:35 am
Second quick example: both violin sections. First the Violins I in another slow meandering phrase, followed by something else for the Violins II. Listen especially to the longer-held sustains. I’m sorry, but there’s not a single second here I like the sound of.

And I started so I might as well do the lot: here are the cellos.

Finally, the four sections together.

I have decided : I am following Rich's wise example.

_
Hi Piet, it seems the audio links are taken down. Would you mind sharing the audio examples with me? I enjoyed reading your thoughts on Duality Strings and would like to hear them. Thanks!

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Not sure I still have them, Snarf. Since mid last week I'm officially an ex-owner of the Dualities and I removed everything related to this library (*), including my folder with tests, little exercises and audio examples, from my HD. But I'll have a quick look, there still might be a copy in the folder from where I upload.

[...]

No, very sorry, Snarf, I'm afraid it's all gone. No big loss however as nearly all of the audio examples posted in VI's Duality thread (not the commercial one) have that sound which I don't like and they confirm, to me anyway, that returning this library to store was a good idea. Ed's little fragment of The Sacre, for example (eyebrows-raising bad sound, I find), and all the clips that Dan has posted — I'm strictly talking about the sound of the samples here, not Dan's wonderful music, which is the only thing I enjoyed in that thread — not in the least his Mozart mock-up (which lacks all the breezy luminosity I think the music needs), simply don't appeal to me. Not wild about the sound of the strings in Bacal's Horner mock-up posted above either (but the music itself has something to do with that as well).

Again, my apologies.

(*) Appreciation for VSL: they make no fuss about a customer returning a product, only express a little regret (totally understandable), and everything is handled smoothly and correctly.

__

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Snarf

Post by Snarf »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Jul 22, 2023 6:03 am Not sure I still have them, Snarf. Since mid last week I'm officially an ex-owner of the Dualities and I removed everything related to this library (*), including my folder with tests, little exercises and audio examples, from my HD. But I'll have a quick look, there still might be a copy in the folder from where I upload.

[...]

No, very sorry, Snarf, I'm afraid it's all gone. No big loss however as nearly all of the audio examples posted in VI's Duality thread (not the commercial one) have that sound which I don't like and they confirm, to me anyway, that returning this library to store was a good idea. Ed's little fragment of The Sacre, for example (eyebrows-raising bad sound, I find), and all the clips that Dan has posted — I'm strictly talking about the sound of the samples here, not Dan's wonderful music, which is the only thing I enjoyed in that thread — not in the least his Mozart mock-up (which lacks all the breezy luminosity I think the music needs), simply don't appeal to me. Not wild about the sound of the strings in Bacal's Horner mock-up posted above either (but the music itself has something to do with that as well).

Again, my apologies.

(*) Appreciation for VSL: they make no fuss about a customer returning a product, only express a little regret (totally understandable), and everything is handled smoothly and correctly.

__
No apologies necessary, it's alright. I hear the sound you describe and dislike it for the same reason (I also said this on the other forum), I was just curious about your specific examples.

And yeah, there is a lot to love about the VSL approach (e.g. sampling depth, editing consistency, player functionality) and business practices (refunds), which is why the 'bad' sound stings so much. I wish I could enjoy it, then my life would be so much easier!

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Hi,
The Intro. pricing for VSL Synchron Duality Strings has been extended to Aug. 15th. , they also have a free demo license for the library.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Boy Muziksculp, you are touting this more than I did Hollywood Strings when EastWest was paying me 😆
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Ashermusic wrote: Aug 01, 2023 2:15 pm Boy Muziksculp, you are touting this more than I did Hollywood Strings when EastWest was paying me 😆
LOL , How many years back was that ? ;)

I really think Duality Strings sound awesome, imho. the best sounding VSL Strings library.