There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

NI / Strezov sale inc Afflatus for 60% off

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

NI / Strezov sale inc Afflatus for 60% off

Post by Guy Rowland »

With the new VSL library seemingly underwhelming everyone with an over-familiar tone, maybe this is the right time to look again at Afflatus - 60% off at £342, UK price. There’s a lot I hear in the demos where I don’t really have anything that sounds like it, potentially that vital chisel to crack the jaded soul with too many string libraries.

I know it’s popular here (search the older threads for some terrific feedback) - another few years on, how are owners finding it?

There’s more in the NI cross-promotion - Stormchoir ultimate, The Performers vocal bundle and the X3M Percussion bundle - https://www.native-instruments.com/en/s ... ffer-2023/

EDIT - dagnammit, no portamento (except for first chairs). That gets me every time.

Ashermusic

Re: NI / Strezov sale inc Afflatus for 60% off

Post by Ashermusic »

Guy Rowland wrote: Jul 11, 2023 2:30 pm With the new VSL library seemingly underwhelming everyone with an over-familiar tone, maybe this is the right time to look again at Afflatus - 60% off at £342, UK price. There’s a lot I hear in the demos where I don’t really have anything that sounds like it, potentially that vital chisel to crack the jaded soul with too many string libraries.

I know it’s popular here (search the older threads for some terrific feedback) - another few years on, how are owners finding it?

There’s more in the NI cross-promotion - Stormchoir ultimate, The Performers vocal bundle and the X3M Percussion bundle - https://www.native-instruments.com/en/s ... ffer-2023/

EDIT - dagnammit, no portamento (except for first chairs). That gets me every time.

For my pop songs, I use the Afflatus Scene d'Amour strings 90% of the time. Thanks Craig Sharmat aka Scoredog, who introduced me to them.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Thanks Jay, good to know, the Scene'Amour sounded terrific to me.

I find myself yet again hesitating though, and a lot of is the absence of those ports / glisses. It seems the entire VI world doesn't care about them, but I hear them everywhere both in vintage scores in even more so in a lot of contemporary scores. Indeed some scores have them as the defining motif. It's a complete mystery to me why they are casually disregarded as an irrelevancy. Does anyone know of a library aside from LASS that features them? EDIT - I know HS has some ports. Proper playable glisses are extremely rare though - they tend to be limited effects.

Also - and I hate myself for saying this - I do find the GUI off-putting. It shouldn't be a consideration at all and it is definitely the least important niggle, but the design does feel oddly dated.

Scoredog

Post by Scoredog »

HS has very usable ports I can send a demonstration but since you have them I would think you are covered. Besides the sound the great thing in Afflatus is the execution of the poly legato which makes mocking up or composing easier. Yes Lass has it but I think they are executed a bit better here though I should check LASS 3 before committing to that view point. Even so the sound and execution has made Afflatus one of my better purchases.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Thanks Scoredog. LASS just don't quit, will it? Andrew and co got so much right.

I do under-use HS. Soaring Strings is another, a strange case cos it's only legatos but I love its tone for those molte moments.