There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

The Happy Thread Of Free

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

dbh

Re: The Happy Thread Of Free

Post by dbh »

Jacob Collier's Audience Choir from NI

This looks very interesting .. as is the man himself..
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... nce-choir/

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Don’t get me wrong-it’s a great thread and I’ve happily picked up some things from it.

The problem for me is that I’m concerned about becoming a collector rather than a user. Nothing wrong with it, bytes are cheap. It just becomes kind of clogged with stuff I never use.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I'd done a rough and ready OP with some of the best perrmanent free stuff. An amazing list. Obviously there's way more free out there, if there's something you know is great and I don't have it there give me a jog and I'll add it.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Pro Tools Intro fascinates me. Almost - but not quite - it makes me want to try using it as an experiment to see how far I can push it. 8 instrument tracks, plus another 8 midi tracks so you can make some instruments multi-timbral. Then you have 8 audio tracks - if you're not recording vocals or instruments, you can use these to bounce down some instruments and save that project so you can import the tracks later for changes if you need to. With a bit of planning and nous, I reckon you could do a helluva lot with that. 24 tracks (sort of). Back in analog tape days you'd use half of those just on the drums and one for timecode. With one of the free drum VIs you can have full control in the plugin and only use 1 of those instrument tracks.

It all comes with the vast majority of the tools in the full version, plus 30+ fx and Xpand with 1,200 instruments. And integrated with a free Sketch iPad app.

FREE! It's madness I tellya.

Although most sane people would plump for Garageband or Cakewalk over PT Intro to avoid these track limitations, it's perfect for podcast work, audiobooks etc. You can machine-license it too, great for laptops.

CPacaud

Post by CPacaud »

In theory, REAPER can be downloaded and is fully featured even without buying a license (personnal license is 60$). It has a 10s nag screen on open to remind you you are on an unlimited trial period, then off you go with the most customizable DAW out there :)

https://www.reaper.fm/

CPacaud

Post by CPacaud »

On the DAW front, there's also the open-source Ardour: https://ardour.org/

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

CPacaud wrote: Mar 04, 2024 7:05 am In theory, REAPER can be downloaded and is fully featured even without buying a license (personnal license is 60$). It has a 10s nag screen on open to remind you you are on an unlimited trial period, then off you go with the most customizable DAW out there :)

Tis true - thus far I've avoided anything that is donationware, pay what you like etc and just highlighted things that to the best of my knowledge are unambiguously totally free.

What's the mood - should I add things like Reaper which are supposed to be paid for but can be used for free?

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Indeed, amazing choices,, but too many!!!

These days I shy away from free (there was a time...). Most free plugins are supported as we as commercial products, but why gamble?

As far as plugins go - this weekend I finally finished thinning the herd,, started with almost 1300 plugins, down to a little less than 800, and I am pretty sure over the next few days I can shrink that further. The two biggest culprits are UA and Waves, both of who install tons of stuff I do not use.

Not sure I could narrow the field to three compressors, but I do not need all the compressors I have!

I need a couple "FET" style compressors, largely because I grew up with the 1176. If there is one with the option for feed forward or feed back that would be on the list, and I know there is one. In fact this is the category that might get more than two. My go-to plugs at the moment are the UA 1176, the PA Purple Audio MC77, and the Lindell 7X-500.

I need one or two optical compressors, still having trouble narrowing the list, but I am sure it can be done.

And I need at least one VCA compressor, and that would be the venerable dBX 160 (the other staple coming up). The UA version is so accurate I can almost smell the smoke (back then people did smoke in the control room and the studio!) There are a couple alternates that would make for a nice compliment.

I was never a big fan of the buss compressor, but the plugins do provide a little glue, and they behave more predictably than the hardware - at least in my experience. The PA Townhouse is my favorite this week, the UA SSL Buss Compressor also works well.

Variable Mu - a category all its own with a LOT of variety. I found a model of the Altec 436 that sounds fantastic, and of course there is the infamous Manley Variable Mu - I tried the UA version and it is pretty darned cool, but I'm doing ok with the Altec.

The Fairchild 670 is a special breed, originally designed for cutting vinyl, it needs to be represented and since I have the UA model it will stay on the list.

What I really want is a plugin version of the Fairchild "Conex" 603. I had one, loaned it to a friend. First he claimed I didn't loan it to him, when I showed him his signature on the receipt he suddenly remembered he had it, but lost it. This was a pretty specialized compressor, used by FM radio stations mostly, I used it to tame the high end on cassettes - for those that remember those.

I still have a pair of LA-4s in the rack, I love them, but they are hardware, and thus a hassle for anything other than tracking, so I am looking for a decent LA-4 plugin too.

And then there are the swiss army knives, and I really only need two - the Voxengo Crunchessor and the Empirical Labs Distressor.

So there you go - down from I'm afraid to count them, to about a dozen - still a lot, but they really do sound different. Dagnabbit!

CPacaud

Post by CPacaud »

Guy Rowland wrote: Mar 04, 2024 9:04 am
CPacaud wrote: Mar 04, 2024 7:05 am In theory, REAPER can be downloaded and is fully featured even without buying a license (personnal license is 60$). It has a 10s nag screen on open to remind you you are on an unlimited trial period, then off you go with the most customizable DAW out there :)

Tis true - thus far I've avoided anything that is donationware, pay what you like etc and just highlighted things that to the best of my knowledge are unambiguously totally free.

What's the mood - should I add things like Reaper which are supposed to be paid for but can be used for free?
Oh, yeah, makes sense that you would keep it out of the list, in that case. I think you should keep it strictly, totally free. I think Ardour does fall into that category, but not REAPER.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

kinda agree - if we want to start a thread for donationware or conditional pricing that might be cool, but I think most folks interpret free as free.

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

A Softube freebie (for a limited time): their VCA compressor which is based on the DBX160(A).

_

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Impact Soundworks Heritage Percussion:

__

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Free Analog Lab Play and a 150 preset Pigments soundset for it, Pop Transcendence, from Audioplugin deals

https://audioplugin.deals/product/analo ... y-arturia/

For those who already have a version of Analog Lab, the soundset is its own separate code so no problem to just add that to your account.

Note - Audioplugin Deals say - "IMPORTANT: Getting this freebie qualifies you for an additional discount in an upcoming exclusive Arturia deal on April 4!".

Thomas Mavian

Post by Thomas Mavian »

Good find, thanks Guy!

wst3

Post by wst3 »

I make it a rule these days to shy away from most freebies. I do make an exception for a freebie that is, in fact, a pretty decent trial - that is, a trial with minimal limitations.

This probably means I miss some cool toys, but I have more plugins and libraries than any rational person needs.

And yet I did go for this one. I've heard some really stellar sounds generated with Pigments, but did not reach the point where I wanted to add another synthesizer to my pile. I still don't, but I figure it can't hurt to take it for a spin... right?

My relationship with Arturia is mixed... I have the V collection IX, nothing in X that grabbed me. Their synth emulations are pretty good, and they hit most of the more popular stuff - still waiting for a killer Kawai K5 software synth and something from the Ensoniq stable (ESQ, SQ, etc).

What the hey, this could be fun!

Thomas Mavian

Post by Thomas Mavian »

I hear you Bill. I have mixed feelings as well but I must say that Pigments is truly awesome, soundwise as well as workflow-wise.

And yes, a Kawai K5 VST would make my day, any day.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I have FAR too many synths so I sympathise, Bill. I do like Pigments very much, it's my favourite of the digital synths I have (I've never bonded with Massive X for example), but of course I don't need it. If you are tempted, I think there's a $99 deal once you check out of the free Audio Plugins thing.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Thomas Mavian wrote: Mar 22, 2024 1:52 pm I hear you Bill. I have mixed feelings as well but I must say that Pigments is truly awesome, soundwise as well as workflow-wise.

And yes, a Kawai K5 VST would make my day, any day.
Studio One, Fadermaster, and others I've forgotten, and now the K5?

I knew I liked you

Enough respected voices have spoken in favor of Pigments - I should at least take a look, I guess...

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Not entirely happy this one, as Spectral Plugins have decided to cease development. However three of their plugins are now available for free and they sound interesting:
Spacer

Spacer has five effects modules which can be linked in any order to generate infinite FX combinations, but are also designed to work as independent processing stations in their own right. Send your signal into orbit using algorithmic, convolution and granular reverb, and simple and granular delay, to create dreamlike overtones, shifting soundscapes or contemporary ambiences.

Pancz

Pancz is an audio plugin equipped with a powerful multiband transient shaper, clipping tool, precise waveform analyzer and additional tone manipulation effects. It uses complex audio processing to directly control the shape of the sound. With its convenient waveform window and a “cut line” you are able to visually manipulate the sound making it look and sound the way you want it to. Additional sets of controls will bring your sounds to life making them feel polished and professional.

OCS-45

Simulate real life cassette tapes and add a lo-fi, vintage feel to your sound. OCS-45's rich set of controls allow you to tweak settings exactly the way you need to achieve that low fidelity sound. Predefined presets make it easy to find a perfect setting for your sound.
https://spectral-plugins.com/

soundbylaura

Post by soundbylaura »

Be an upstander.