There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Pro Tools 2024.3

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Pro Tools 2024.3

Post by Guy Rowland »

Finally Sonoma support. Also:
• MIDI effects plug-ins
• MIDI signal chaining
• Copy and paste MIDI between Pro Tools and Sibelius®
• Support on macOS 14.3.1 (“Sonoma”)
• Detachable Melodyne (ARA) and Clip Effects tabs in Edit window
• Dolby Atmos® improvements
• Video bounce with Same as Source enhancement
• Pro Tools Sketch improvements
• Pro Tools “guided tour” for beginners
Bold is great.

I had an issue with the last 2 versions that drag and drop from the clip list to the project window was busted, this seems to be fixed.

Geoff Grace

Re: Pro Tools 2024.3

Post by Geoff Grace »

I remember MIDI effects plug-ins from my days as a Digital Performer user. They were a fun feature, but I rarely used them. I’ll be interested in how they’re implemented by Avid.

Best,

Geoff

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Geoff Grace wrote: Mar 07, 2024 6:28 pm I remember MIDI effects plug-ins from my days as a Digital Performer user. They were a fun feature, but I rarely used them. I’ll be interested in how they’re implemented by Avid.
Honestly I find most of them not very useful in practice, and Avid's seem to be in this trend - I don't know why I'd ever want a note stacker. But there is at least one important exception in Cubase - Transformer. This would be invaluable (and preferably it would be simpler to use than Cubase's which is coding hell) - a simple way to map one CC to another, or have minimm / maximum note values. Another ubiquitous use for me is mapping a pad on my keyboard to trigger automation in VE Pro.

Hopefully something like these will come further down the line. If they also added the abilty to control Midi CCs over Avid's own EuCon protocol, I might actually consider switching composing from Cubase to Pro Tools. Might.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Not been much made of this, but one big change in 2024.3 is that PT now uses efficiency cores in Silicon. Until now only 4 cores showed on my humble basic M2, now it shows all 8.

lofi

Post by lofi »

Guy Rowland wrote: Hopefully something like these will come further down the line. If they also added the abilty to control Midi CCs over Avid's own EuCon protocol, I might actually consider switching composing from Cubase to Pro Tools. Might.
Use the automation window on your plugin/instrument
Add the parameters you want to control.
Select the track on your S1
Hit the (blue) Insert button on the S1
Click the little (pan) dial on the selected channel (still on the S1)
Hit the yellow flip button, it starts to blink and you have your controllers on your S1 faders.

/Anders

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Huh - thanks Anders, I didn't know that but it's not really working usefully here.

In a test on Repro-1, I selected only Output as a parameter. But when I follow your steps, I get the first default controls all pre-mapped and no apparent way way to scroll to the others. In other words - I expect to just see Output, the single one I selected, but instead I see the first 8 that I haven't selected.

Also other plugins - Omnisphere is one - do not have any parameters show up at all, just meaningless numbers. So although it's good that some parameters can be controlled in some circumstances, unless I'm getting something wrong here it's not yet functionally useful.

Far better than using the cumbersome automation pane would be a way of controlling the controllers which are selectable in the normal way from the dropdown menu on a lane in the project window. Premapped are CCs 1, 2, 4, 11 and 64, but you can easily add others. I don't suppose there's some hidden way for EuCon to access these?